• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    What brands do you guys use and what do you like or dislike about them?

I'm looking for something about 30-50 rifle capacity and my budget is up to $2000. I currently have a smaller "16" rifle safe which is uncomfortably out of room. Im ok with keeping what I have and buying a second smaller (or equally sized) safe as well if something smaller fits the bill.

I did look at a really nice one today which was tall. It had 2 shelves above the rifles which I really liked. That's the upper end of my budget but before I bite that bullet I wanna know what you guys think.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I use the Ft Knox safe - which, unfortunately is about 2X your budget. I would suggest you up your $$ a bit more and at least get one of the better Liberty safes. The difference in quality is something you'll never regret.

And as a side note...if one stores tax records in said safe, they CAN be tax deductible. Consult your accountant...if they say "no"...you have the wrong accountant.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I actually looked at a few liberty safes which were on both sides of my budget as well as a couple nice cannon and browning safes. All were very nice.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    IMO:
    Ft Knox > Liberty > Cannon/Browning

I've owned all 4 (plus a few others). Wouldn't go below an upper-end Liberty again. Most of us buy a safe once - spend the extra $$, you'll never regret it. Initially, you'll be protecting a couple of thousand worth of guns...down the road, it could be 70-100k, trust me.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I use the Ft Knox safe - which, unfortunately is about 2X your budget. I would suggest you up your $$ a bit more and at least get one of the better Liberty safes. The difference in quality is something you'll never regret.

And as a side note...if one stores tax records in said safe, they CAN be tax deductible. Consult your accountant...if they say "no"...you have the wrong accountant.
    +1 for Liberty. The Ft. Knox is an awesome safe as well. They both have excellent fire ratings and are tough to defeat

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’ve got a 48 gun Liberty and was surprised at how quickly that room got used up. Plan on larger than you think you need. I do wish the manufacturers would explain how they come up with the count. I see know way mine would hold that many I less they were without scopes and packed tightly

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I only have one pump action shotgun left because that's all uncle joe told me I should have. I'm just planning on getting a bigger one for all my extra Biden memorabilia.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I only have one pump action shotgun left because that's all uncle joe told me I should have. I'm just planning on getting a bigger one for all my extra Biden memorabilia.

I heard if you subscribe to his Only Fans page you can purchase soiled depends, drool bibs, and empty, licked clean pudding cups.
    1620649021586.gif

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    If you have other fire detection and prevention measures in place at the location you are looking to store this safe (e.g., your safe should NOT be your primary means for fire protection), consider Secure-It Gun Storage. Bolt them down to your foundation and wall framing. Stack them as you see fit. Great price for protecting your firearms from theft. Fraction of the cost compared to those in-home foundries... err I meant safes.
    3a4b8c90e14553995f9202e12fefec9d.jpg

Sand Hills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Seguin
    Unless you are in a real hurry, take the time to go through this guy's website and advice:

Honest Gun Safe Reviews, Trusted Since 2013 - Gun Safe Reviews Guy

As he notes, "gun safes" are not "safes", they are residential security containers with safe-like features. If you have the time, it is possible to find a real used safe, UL rated TL-15 or TL-30, for the about the same price as a new "gun safe." You list your location as Converse - there is, or at least a couple years ago was, a business in that area that acquired and sold used UL-rated safes. I don't think it was in Converse, I think it was Universal City or Cibolo, something like that. If I can remember or find the name I will come back and post it. I found it by looking thru eBay (actually "picclick.com") using TL-15 and TL-30 for search terms.

The Hidden Gun Safes & Hidden Gun Storage | SecureIt Gun Storage that Survivor619 mentions also seems a good alternative.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Will that fit under an 8ft ceiling?
    It should with 4" to spare (queue out of context quote thread haha).

That set pictured is actually 4 separate safes which you could separate and stack all 4 side by side as an example. As shown, the set comes with 2 of their 52" units and 2 of their 40" units.

I have one 52" and one 40" and love them. They primarily open using a digital keypad but have key backups in case of dead battery or of course a chicom emp. One person assembly and disassembly too.

Mine are stacked side by side. My dad has the set picture; he stacks one 40" on top of a 52"; another 52" next to that, and keeps the other 40" in a different part of his home.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    All I can say is about anything but Cannon. Do a search on Cannon warranty service when you have several hours to kill reading about their "warranty".
    If you do get a cannon, immediately replace the dial/keypad to a high quality S&G system and the warranty no longer becomes a problem

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'm leaning more towards a mechanical mechanism instead of a digital lock.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've got a small Liberty for pistols and am very happy with it. Paid just under 900 for it about 8 years ago.

Top Bottom