• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was wondering if anyone here might happen to have any personal experiences with Dietz gun shop and range in New Braunfels? A friend of mind goes there pretty regularly it sounds like, and he seems to like the place. I've read a few comments online on various websites and have heard mixed reviews, some of them implying that they can be relatively strict there though those posts seemed to be a few years old so things could have changed. I'm looking into the possibility of us using this range as more of a central meeting point for group trips to the range since it appears many of you guys live in or around San Antonio. If anyone can think of a range in sort of a central location, or a really good range (I've heard of a few in SA but haven't been to any there) that would be conducive to having group events, I would love to hear about it. I also have heard of Cedar Ridge Range a bit further southwest from Dietz, so I might look into that one as well. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
    Gun Zone Deals

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I was wondering if anyone here might happen to have any personal experiences with Dietz gun shop and range in New Braunfels?

I'll go by and check them out. A good friend of mine owns the Hill Country Customs body shop in front of the place. I'll ask him as well.

I'm only about 15 minutes from them and we go to New Braunfels every Friday for lunch... I'll go by this week and see what I think.

Hobie Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    San Marcos, Texas
    ranges

I have gone to Dietz many times over the years. I have mixed feelings. Personally, I prefer plinking on private property. I don't care for someone looking over my shoulder. Having said that, any time I want to site in a gun that's where I go. The range was getting pretty run down for a while and I sometimes was the only one there. They've done some rehab and generally have a range officer when there are multiple shooters. Really the only way to keep it safe and I'm sure keep liabilities down. I've found the good-ol-boy officers to be pleasant enough.

They do have a variety of distances and a store.

When I did my CHL renewal we went to a range in Bracken that was very nice. I was very impressed. I was there with a class so I know they do organized things.

Check em out. Easy to get to in South San Antonio.
    http://www.brackenrange.com/

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Zembonez, I appreciate that. I actually should be meeting my friend at Dietz this Sunday afternoon it looks like, so I'll get to see first hand how it is.

Thanks for the link Hobie Dog. Bracken is a lot closer than I realized. I'll definitely have to check them out as well.

Does anyone here have any experience with http://www.bullethole.com/ Bullet Hole Range? I've been eyeing them for sometime now, but have never managed to make it over there. They have up to a 300yd rifle range, and they also have class III full auto Mp5's, Sig 551's, and Sig 552's to rent so I'm definitely going to have to go at least once for the full auto stuff. ;) Judging by what I've heard it seems to be a pretty high quality range.

I guess I should ask you all first. Do any of you like the idea of us organizing some group shooting range meets regularly? I was thinking maybe something once a month, every other month, or along those lines. If anyone is so inclined, I also have a connection with a Austin local private security company that does a machinegun training course. It's expensive and I'd need at least 5 people to get one setup, but I just thought I would put that out there in case anyone might be interested in the future. They have a large number of cool stuff to choose from such as HK Mp5's, Mp5SD's, UMP 45's, M4's, G36's, AK47's, Glock 18's, etc. I'm planning on organizing a training day with them later in the year, so if you think you'd be interested please let me know.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sweet, I figured you'd be down for it, I mean you only own a Barrett. ;) It will probably be pretty expensive though, like $150-170 per person to get that machinegun class together. The nice thing is, from what I understand you can shoot any of their guns and only have to pay for the ammo. When I saw them advertise prices a few months ago, their ammo costs were significantly cheaper than retail so it wouldn't be too terribly expensive considering the fact that they have quite a few guns it would be hard to rent/shoot anywhere short of Knob Creek or any of the other big MG shoots. Stuff like the HK UMP45, HK G36, and MP5 SD's are not that easy to find for rent in Texas from what I've seen. They are also a real good group of guys with prior and current experience in LE and Military, so they are fun to deal with. I took my CHL class through them. I'll update you all, and will keep you in the loop Josh, as soon as something progresses with this.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Bullet Holes is a lot of fun. I've rented some of thier Class III's before. The supressed grease gun is the most fun. The whole range stops when they bust it out. It's extremely quiet, no recoil and nice and slow. It's across town, so I generally go to Bracken:mad:, but I highly recommend Bullet Holes.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I guess I should ask you all first. Do any of you like the idea of us organizing some group shooting range meets regularly? I was thinking maybe something once a month, every other month, or along those lines.

I would be interested for sure, especially for pistol shoots.

ironman45693

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Austin
    Braken Range is OK, but they are pretty strict; you can't do anything fun. When I first got my USP, I went there to shot; I got down to my last four rounds, loaded them up and let them go as fast as I could while still staying on target, and the owner came out of the booth yelling and threatening to kick me out. I just left. I have gone back since because it is the closest range to me, but no double taps or anything like that:( I prefer the private land shoots, as long as people are safe!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Braken Range is OK, but they are pretty strict; you can't do anything fun. When I first got my USP, I went there to shot; I got down to my last four rounds, loaded them up and let them go as fast as I could while still staying on target, and the owner came out of the booth yelling and threatening to kick me out. I just left. I have gone back since because it is the closest range to me, but no double taps or anything like that:( I prefer the private land shoots, as long as people are safe!

That's just how it goes at the public ranges. Too many people that go to them are new, don't know safety, and try to do too much stupid stuff. At Red's Indoor there are numerous bullet strikes on the ceiling of the range as close as 3 yards. They have some stories.

In fact one time I was there, some kid was asking them if they 'trusted his skills' enough to allow him to fire two pistols at the same time, one in each hand. This is the caliber of morons that end up at these places sometimes.

It sucks if you know guns, but it's for a greater good.

JimboI

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    spring branch, tx
    I have been going to Dietz range for 30+ years. Never had an issue or any problems with the range or the shop. Last week I went in to see Howard about some rifle work that I had discussed with him over the phone. Here is the result:

Wow. Just had the all-time worst ass-chewing I think I have had in my almost 70 years. Howard shot me down the minute I walked in the door with his loud sarcastic "what is that crap". I told him I had discussed a "smith" job with him on the phone...he commenced yelling, ranting and raving, and when I handed him the rifle his hands were trembling so bad he couldn't even operate the bolt. He told me to go get a real gun because he wouldn't work on mine. It is a fully functional Remington 511 in .22 cal. I wanted it drilled and tapped for scope mounts, along with other things that we never got to discuss. He lost all my business and I have been a customer of theirs for 30 years or more.

After that little episode I would recommend that you use the friendly range, but stay out of the gun shop unless you are thick skinned. The little rifle shoots just fine, I just wanted to improve a classic. I thought that was what gunsmiths were taught to do.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I used to go to out to Deitzville to shoot when I lived in San Marcos. I remember they have a lot of matches and bench rest stuff going on there. Never tried doing anything 'fun' there. Just a place to punch paper and sight in. As much as west Texas sucks, it's nice to be able to jump in the truck and drag a pile of crap out into the desert and shoot crap out of it any way you like. I'll miss that, but not enough to stay here. I'll need to find some good folks with private land to hook up when I move.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    It was but a short few years ago that a TGT event coordinator condemned Dietz Range for a TGT get-together.

I've visited that range once, and thought it was a very nice place to shoot without a lot of oversight.

I'd go back, but there are ranges closer to home that I enjoy (Bracken).

Top Bottom