Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What would you recommend?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Post #6 is my recommendation.

I am a Savage man and their price, quality, and out of the box accuracy have never let me down. Their lower end stocks do leave something to be desired for long range work. A pistol grip stock fits my build much better. They offer very nice heavy barrel rifles in good stocks for reasonable prices.

Remington's 700 line are very popular also but I think they are having quality control issues and I just don't think they can compete with the accuracy and economy of Savage.

If I was shopping for the cheapest long range rifle I could find I would go with the Savage 10 Precision Carbine. Street price is about $700 or so. That being said I would step up to one of the better stocks because I would end up doing that later anyways.

That is just my opinion. Take it for what it is.

On a side note, if you don't reload, are mainly going to be shooting paper, and are somewhat new to rifles, you might want to think about the same rifle in .223. Cheaper ammo, less recoil, and will still get you to 600 yards easily.

If you are new to this trigger time and shooting technique are what you should be really concentrating on.

.22s are great practice also if you can find any ammo.......
    Texas SOT

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    ^^^what he said. He's better at it than me. Look at possible upgrades to the rifle you buy as well as the rifle itself, Savage does have quite a bit you can do with them.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup.

I think a stock upgrade will happen if you get serious no matter which rifle you buy, unless you go custom or very high end at the beginning.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've yet to see a 700 that didn't shoot great out of the box. I personally don't like any of the factory triggers so that would be a change no matter what. That being said if I was buying a factory 308 I'd look for a 700 5r or a used FN pbr xp.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We don't take kindly to Remington 700 talk 'round heya.

uza3ute8.jpg

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Put an Accutrigger on it and you will love the trigger. Then just switch out all the other parts with a model 10 and it will be awesome.

I hate the feel of the Accutrigger at any weight. Also had some bad experience with one basically not being adjustable and Salvage just said o well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I really don't have any problems with the 700. Just not my thing.

It just seems like they can be hit or miss sometimes and I am not familiar with the different models.

I have had very good luck with Savages.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I hate the feel of the Accutrigger at any weight. Also had some bad experience with one basically not being adjustable and Salvage just said o well.

Not sure how it could not be adjustable, unless the threads were stripped of the spring was missing.

Not sure what there is to hate a out it.

Oh well, that's why there are so many options out there. Pretty much something for everybody.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Not sure how it could not be adjustable, unless the threads were stripped of the spring was missing.

Not sure what there is to hate a out it.

Oh well, that's why there are so many options out there. Pretty much something for everybody.

Not sure what it was just know if it was adjusted below 3.5-4lbs it would not function. Their fix was not to adjust it any lower. It was a poor rifle in general as accuracy was sub par for a 22-250 and it didn't consistently feed well. IMO that is very poor cs. I will admit I have been spoiled by Jewell and Timney triggers. The only factory trigger I've ever been fond of is the original M70.

jsockol22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Thank you ask for the information I decided on getting a Remington 770, couldn't best the price and with the money I saved I was able to a little bit action 22 so that I could take my son and daughter to the range with me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thank you ask for the information I decided on getting a Remington 770, couldn't best the price and with the money I saved I was able to a little bit action 22 so that I could take my son and daughter to the range with me.

Ok. Glad you got a rifle for your kids.

Enjoy your new rifle.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Look..................... the Remington 770 gets a bad rap from every direction. My only complaint with it is that the barrel is pressed, not threaded, into the receiver. That process makes the barrel hard/impossible to replace and impractical to "setback" when the throat wears. I won't buy the 770 because I need the ability to machine the barrel (setback).

Where ELSE have we seen pressed in barrels? Notably....SKS Rifles. The Chinese versions came with threaded or pressed in barrels. Threaded barrels were more desirable but both worked equally well.

The rifle is OK for hunting and will do a great job as a hunting rifle. Match shooters shoot a gazillion rounds through their barrels so a pressed in barrel makes no sense for that kind of service. A hunter may shoot 20 rounds per year...tops!

Cost of the 770 is minimal. The rifle isn't "junk". It's intended to be a low end rifle price wise and it fills that niche perfectly. The dead deer won't give a flip that it was killed with a Remington 770 or not and the rifle will give many years of faithful service!

Flash

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom