• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsockol22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    First of all let me apologize if this is the wrong thread for this. But I'm looking for a bolt action rifle in 308 for long range target shooting (100m minimum up to 600m) and possible hunting in the future. Someone recommended a Savage 10 fxp 308. I don't have a huge budget, but if I do get this Savage I'm most likely going to replace the stock as almost every review I have read is saying that Savage doesn't use the best stocks. Any advice on rifles, stocks, barrels, and ammunition will be greatly appreciated. I am willing to answer any questions and listen to any advice / constructive criticism given. Thank you in advance for your time and answers.
    Texas SOT

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Check out the CZ 550 Varmint rifle. It has a 25.6" long hammer forged heavy barrel for maximum velocity and accuracy as well as a single set trigger.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I prefer a smaller rifle package so I went with the Savage 10 PC. The 18" barrel will have more than enough velocity to carry 600m and it will shoot half inch groups if you reload. Factory match ammo will stay under 1".

The stick is actually put together pretty well, but I find the LOP to be a little short and it's not as well suited to shooting prone.

The really like the new accutrigger. Easily adjustable for weight, can be made crazy light with a simple modification for target shooting and still be adjusted up to a couple pounds if you aren't comfortable hunting with a super light trigger.

Also has a threaded barrel for a brake or suppressor if that matters to you.

No matter the specific model, it's hard to beat the off the shelf accuracy of a model 10 Savage.

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    Some people will laugh it this suggestion but the people that bash on the gun I'm about to suggest don't own one and have never shot one. Look at the Remington 770 in .308. I bought one even after seeing people bash them but I saw the reviews from people that actually own them loved them. Got 3 deer and multiple hogs with it this past year.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Get a Savage with the stock you want. I have seen a Savage in .308 with a 20" heavy barrel in a nice tactical stock for under $700.

A 20" barrel will get you out to 1000 yards with the right ammo.

The Accutrigger is awesome.

Federal Gold Medal match ammo is hard to beat unless you load your own.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Some people will laugh it this suggestion but the people that bash on the gun I'm about to suggest don't own one and have never shot one. Look at the Remington 770 in .308. I bought one even after seeing people bash them but I saw the reviews from people that actually own them loved them. Got 3 deer and multiple hogs with it this past year.

They are a good entry level rifle for cheap and will be fine for short to medium range hunting. The problem is they don't upgrade well for long range shooting. They just aren't made for it and it would be very expensive to turn them into one.

For a cheap starter rifle the Savage Axis II has the accutrigger and is easily upgradable. It is still way more expensive than getting the gun you want to start with though.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Welcome, talked to you earlyer at the store, ugly bearded guy. You listened, good for you. Many don't. These are smart folks and the info on the rem 770 is correct, it aint light, pretty, or smooth, but it is accurate. Does not have adjustable trigger and i can not get them in .308. Hug the kids, they were great tonight.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Welcome, talked to you earlyer at the store, ugly bearded guy. You listened, good for you. Many don't. These are smart folks and the info on the rem 770 is correct, it aint light, pretty, or smooth, but it is accurate. Does not have adjustable trigger and i can not get them in .308. Hug the kids, they were great tonight.

Oh yeah, check out the hicksville threads

Dammit, that did not work right, idgit

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

770s aren't available in .308? Or just not available now?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    We have 770s, we just can't get them in .308. Sucks too, it is not a bad rifle at all. Just not as much hand work or pretty as some.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

jsockol22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Thank you all for the information you have provided. I will continue to do some research myself. If anyone has any more information and are willing to share it with me, I'm more than happy to listen. Thanks again!

jsockol22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Does anyone know if Mossberg makes good rifles? I just found a Mossberg 100ATR in 308 for 300 dollars. It has about 8 reviews on the website and all are 5 stars but I'm not familiar with Mossberg rifles. Thanks in advance.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Does anyone know if Mossberg makes good rifles? I just found a Mossberg 100ATR in 308 for 300 dollars. It has about 8 reviews on the website and all are 5 stars but I'm not familiar with Mossberg rifles. Thanks in advance.

They are decent rifles, but along the lines of the 770. Good for short to medium range hunting.

You are not going to find a good long range rifle for less than $500. There are many good hunting rifles in that price range though.

If you want to get a starter rifle just to get some trigger time in then go for it. Just be warned that those rifles will not be consistent at 600 yards. You will have to upgrade eventually.

It is cheaper in the long run to get a good rifle now.

jsockol22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    They are decent rifles, but along the lines of the 770. Good for short to medium range hunting.

You are not going to find a good long range rifle for less than $500. There are many good hunting rifles in that price range though.

If you want to get a starter rifle just to get some trigger time in then go for it. Just be warned that those rifles will not be consistent at 600 yards. You will have to upgrade eventually.

It is cheaper in the long run to get a good rifle now.

What would you recommend?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Top Bottom