• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I doubt anyone was really intending to be condescending. I'd probably recommend a revolver from the simple standpoint that it is easier to shoot and it rarely malfunctions. This does not, of course, take into account the act of loading or reloading either weapon type. It simply recognizes that the likelihood of a stoppage with your semi-automatic is significantly greater than the revolver.

We can argue both sides of the fence here. Lower ammo capacity, difficulty reloading, etc., but the fact remains that when you pull the trigger, the revolver will fire. We can't always say that about the SA, and a one-handed stoppage recovery is an advanced skill.

Having said all that, if your skill level is such that you can proficiently and safely clear stoppages and perform mag changes, then by all means; go with the SA. But if that was the case, I doubt he'd be asking for advice.

Well said.

This area is one I do take pretty seriously and as some might put it "a little too seriously"

What? I can't do ___. Watch me

Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    As a newbie to handguns, I came to this board convinced I would buy a revolver as my first handgun, using it for personal protection as a CH. It wasn't until I went to the range to try out several pistols that I realized maybe that wasn't the gun for me. While a revolver has some features that make it a more "simple" handgun for me, I have to be comfortable with the gun. I would rather be 100% confident with a 9mm semi-automatic than using a revolver that didn't feel right. So...it boils down to this guy should consider doing what this newbie did...go to the range and shoot lots of guns. He can then make the best decision for him.

It's similar to a blind date scenario. Most of them don't work out. Why? Because you have to pick what is best for you, regardless of what others might think is best for you. It's all about the chemistry. <---- Female perspective on how to choose the right handgun. :p

jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There are ways to learn how to rack the slide on a semi auto one handed. Since his left hand is the good one, he might be better off with a gun that has ambidextrous controls, like a Springfield XD. Don't forget, it's easier to pull the slide back on a full size gun than on a compact.

Some semiautos, like 1911s without full length guide rods, can be racked by putting the front of the slide on something hard and pushing.

I'd recommend getting a 9mm since he has the grip issue and doesn't have a lot of experience shooting. .45 would be my second pick if it's in a heavier gun. Definitely avoid .40 and .357 Sig. They tend to be a lot harder to control and are harder to rack the slide on.

I see no reason for him to use a revolver. As long as he has one good hand, he can manipulate a semi auto. Revolvers are a pain in the ass to use left handed, especially only left handed.

You said he can't rack the slide on a G-17. Is his technique good? The right technique could make all the difference.

My girlfriend has grip strength problems and she can rack the slide on every gun she's tried, even officer model 1911s.

First, bring the gun in close to the chest. Imagine opening a pickle jar - that's where his hands should be.

Then, grip the slide with the hand over the top of a slide - 4 fingers on one side, the thumb on the other. Don't use the slingshot grip.

Then pull the slide back with one hand, while pushing the grip forward with the other. It also helps to move explosively. It's much easier to rack it fast than slow.

If all that fails, you can get a slide racker. Here's one for Glocks - SJC Slide Racker

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    As a newbie to handguns, I came to this board convinced I would buy a revolver as my first handgun, using it for personal protection as a CH. It wasn't until I went to the range to try out several pistols that I realized maybe that wasn't the gun for me. While a revolver has some features that make it a more "simple" handgun for me, I have to be comfortable with the gun. I would rather be 100% confident with a 9mm semi-automatic than using a revolver that didn't feel right. So...it boils down to this guy should consider doing what this newbie did...go to the range and shoot lots of guns. He can then make the best decision for him.

It's similar to a blind date scenario. Most of them don't work out. Why? Because you have to pick what is best for you, regardless of what others might think is best for you. It's all about the chemistry. <---- Female perspective on how to choose the right handgun. :p

Which we all know is the BEST way ever

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You might try this to rack the slide.

Put in an empty magazine. then hold the grip of the gun and push the slide back on the edge of a table. I tried it a couple of times. If the gun has a slide lock, it should stay open. worked fine with my glock 19.

Only took one hand.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    Hopefully he/she can figure out how to rack the slide to get the darn gun loaded. Then just keep one in the chamber and hope you never need more than one mag. One handed racks are doable. Just gotta practice. But until then, I'd get a revolver. :)

Top Bottom