• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have seen the population swell on a friends property down in Pearsall over the last 2 decades. When we were kids(over 20 years ago) we hardly saw them on the ranch(800+ acres). Over the last few deer seasons, we have seen the population grow to scary numbers. My best day hog hunting down there was during deer season(3 yrs ago) when I was tired of watching them eat up all my deer corn. I put 6 down in one evening from 3 different directions at a 3 way blind and about 9 total in that one weekend(at least half were sows with litters). It hardly put a dent in the population. At a tripod about a mile away, we saw the road over run with hoof prints from a swarm of at least 30 more pigs.
    Down there, they come in all sizes shapes and colors. In spite of trapping, shooting and hunting with dogs, the population is completely un-phased. One year my buddy's cousin decided to bring his Beretta storm rifle out to blast them on the run from a Kawasaki Mule. He managed to kill one while trashing a field of crops running it down. Later he told us that acreage was leased to a friend of his Dad's ! Like a lotta people say, they would rather have a hog problem than a hunter problem. I always try to be responsible, respectful and helpful when allowed to hunt on someone else's property but there are a bunch of goof balls out there who aren't. A couple of dead pigs just doesn't outweigh the damage a single irresponsible person can do.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    On our deer lease, me and two other friends hunted them every full moon (2-3 nights in a row on average every month). In a 12 month time span we killed 87 hogs (some caught in traps), didn't even make a dent. But the freezer was always full. If any thing, it got harder to hunt em after a while.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Hunting hogs doesn't help. What needs to be done to get the population in check?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    You will have better luck killing pigs by paying someone's day rate.
    I have no problem paying a fair day rate at all, but I have not had a lot of luck trying to find hunts with a day rate that I consider fair. $500 and a $1000 a day is far from fair. I think a lot of the problem is they are so used to getting HIGH and I mean H I G H day rates for whitetail. A guy would have no problem popping $3 -$7k for a long weekend on Whitetail...and many think they can so the same for pigs. Also many of them are getting big rates from out of state and big city boys coming down and blasting away.

Friend of mine is getting $350 a day for pig hunts, but he has the Dallas connection and in 2 years I have not even been able to wedge in there he has so many hunters. Now that heli hunting is legal he is thinking of leasing one. That is $500 per gun, 3 folks per heli PER HOUR...he does give a discount for blocks of hrs...

Me, just want to pop a couple for the BBQ/freezer and get on home...

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Not sure if you are being serious, or your usual self when commenting in these threads.

You have a real hard on for me dontcha.

If the farmer and if allowed some hunters, they cn do nothing to quell tte hoard. So what's next? Seriously, just let them go on? The other posts I see just say that the hoard cannot be contained.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have no problem paying a fair day rate at all, but I have not had a lot of luck trying to find hunts with a day rate that I consider fair. $500 and a $1000 a day is far from fair. I think a lot of the problem is they are so used to getting HIGH and I mean H I G H day rates for whitetail. A guy would have no problem popping $3 -$7k for a long weekend on Whitetail...and many think they can so the same for pigs. Also many of them are getting big rates from out of state and big city boys coming down and blasting away.

Friend of mine is getting $350 a day for pig hunts, but he has the Dallas connection and in 2 years I have not even been able to wedge in there he has so many hunters. Now that heli hunting is legal he is thinking of leasing one. That is $500 per gun, 3 folks per heli PER HOUR...he does give a discount for blocks of hrs...

Me, just want to pop a couple for the BBQ/freezer and get on home...

Fair is whatever the land owner wants to charge.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Fair is whatever the land owner wants to charge.
    No, fair is whatever a common man is willing to pay in a free and open market. Timex watches do not sell for $10,000 because that would not be a fair price. $1000 per day for a pig hunt is not a fair price.

Which now economics comes into play: Do I hope to sell one for $10,000 or 10,000 for $1?

Top Bottom