• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader_73

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I moved to Austin from Mississippi and don't know very many people. So far, the ones that I have met aren't hunters (unless HEB counts). I was hoping to meet other hunters by now and find a good spot to bag some meat. Any help would be appreciated. I am hoping to get scouting before deer season comes and goes again. I just hate driving 10 hours back to Mississippi to hunt.
    Venture Surplus ad

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    No scouting for deer around Austin. You sit in a stand and when the feeder goes off you shoot a deer. Day lease prices run $200 a day plus whatever the kill fee is. X dollars for boon and crocket point or some other deal. Sometimes you get a free hog or pay per hog or doe.

Try a google search for Austin Texas deer hunting. Here is a typical ranch.

http://www.solanaranch.com

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Making friends with people who own land is your best bet. Offering free labor to improve the land will get you even further.

Crusader_73

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys. I will probably end up driving the 10 hours back to Mississippi. At least there I can hunt for free and spend some time with friends.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Well, 20 hours of your time on the road is pretty expensive in my book, but when the friend part is added in, that helps a bit.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have an open invite from a friend to hunt his land. It's likewise 12 hours away so it's a long weekend to a 4-5 day hunt. once you get there it's free except for food. If you can get your buck and pop a couple doe that sure does change things. Or drive four hours and pay thru the nose for what amounts to a canned deer hunt. Those two days on the road seem pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Thanks guys. I will probably end up driving the 10 hours back to Mississippi. At least there I can hunt for free and spend some time with friends.
    Austin is definitely not a great place to meet other hunters; except for maybe dove... You're not the only person who is hunting out of state.

You won't really start to appreciate Texas until you save up and buy your own piece of land that you can hunt or do whatever with.

Top Bottom