Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I am glad to read a discussion on healthy eating here, and glad to see others getting healthy.

I would like to suggest additionally that you look into fasting. We literally eat far more than we need.

I recommend two books:
    The Complete Guide to Fasting by Dr. Jason Fung
    Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore

Err, I base my current opinions mostly on actual scientific research done by Pennington Biomedical Center of LSU. their work is used extensively by many large U of Texas Medical facilities.

As I said, I am a retired Med School Prof of both U T & LSU Med. The "Keto-Adkins" ideas were based on a combination of known starvation and the ideas of Dr. Adkins. I have no "dog in this fight" and stand to lose or make nothing. Just trying to help folks not make bad mistakes. After 50+ years of Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, & Brain/Spine Diagnosis, and Teaching, I've seen and heard just about everything.

leVieux

As far as what doctors have to say, and the person in post #80 that said Keto was dangerous, far too many of these types are still stuck in the past on the government recommendations of eating low fat and high carb, the reverse of Keto. Even the govt knows those recommendations are wrong. They just can't admit they were wrong. And it would effect whole industries that revolve around low fat products. Remember that food companies want us to buy all the food they make, whether we need it or not.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ok, I'm off to duckduckgo to try to find a picture.

ETA - Seems like a normal burger. I guess they just do a really good job with it?

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Ok, I'm off to duckduckgo to try to find a picture.

ETA - Seems like a normal burger. I guess they just do a really good job with it?

Should’ve taken a picture

It’s my favorite burger there. Homemade Pimento Cheese, Bacon, Fried Onions and Jalapeños. They offer it now without a bun and in the Bowl. The beef at Kincaid’s is amazing and it’s been voted the Best Burger in America

84c12ff53b4675b3b3c09a7fd1871fbd.jpg

Attachments

• 84c12ff53b4675b3b3c09a7fd1871fbd.jpg
      84c12ff53b4675b3b3c09a7fd1871fbd.jpg
      99.6 KB · Views: 409

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I’ve used a low carb diet on several occasions to lose significant weight.

And yes I drank liquor and wine and still lost weight

When I was younger I loved going to the gym 1 to 1 1/2 hours every day. However you can’t outrun your fork. I’ve tried several approaches to modifying my diet.

As I got older I found a low carb diet to be by far the most effective way for me to lose weight

Yeah, I’ve gained weight back. That tends to happen around stressful events which tempts me to return to eating a high carb diet

Currently I’m down 15 lbs since Thanksgiving

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I bet you’re a blast at parties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn't tell him to not drink it !

Although I had to quit drinking b/c old age, I still keep a well-stocked bar and fridge. Serve drinks to all my friends.

I have the original Christy's Margarita recipe from their location just outside the Fort Sam Main Gate @ San Antonio.

Also keep a good selection of Irish Whisky & Caribbean Rums.

Stop by next time you are near Saint Martinville and I'll give you some great whisky neat.

leVieux

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    congrats. I recall back in 2014 before i got back to the gym i was borderline well i managed to lose quite a bit of weight and did not end up diabetic and got off the lipitor
    I was diagnosed as diabetic several years ago. I panicked and learned to stick to a whole new way of eating. I didn't know anything about Keto at the time. But, that's basically the diet the doctor gave me.

Over a year's time, I lost 100 pounds. Unfortunately, I've slowly gained it all back over the past few years. I'm struggling to find a way to eat right in a household where I can barely use the kitchen.
    Here is a good chart showing different oils /fats used for cooking
    Dark green is better

As far as good fats go, I like to eat a small handful of walnuts every day. I also eat almost weekly, avocados, almonds, almond butter, dark chocolate, about 12 eggs a week, and I take fish oil every day.

View attachment 195800
    Thanks for the chart. Avocados, dark chocolate, and eggs. Sounds good to me.
    Love my fried chicken, but do it right for me.
    Low carb since Nov 6, 2018, figured it out in April 28, 2019.
    Eat my fill of it weekly.

Thighs and drumsticks dipped in an egg wash, rolled in pork panko for breading (seasoned with Tony Chachere's) , not flour, and deep fried in bacon grease.

As good a fried chicken the proverbial yo mama made. ;)

And that's with a daily net carb intake averaging 13.2 carbs since 4/28/2019.

View attachment 195810
    Thank you! Quoting to save recipe.
    Couldn't find my photos of pork panko fried catfish, caught off the dock. But I do love my low carb goodness: "cowboy" burgers made with diced mushrooms, garlic mashed cauliflower with cheese, and asparagus.

View attachment 195818
    Sounds good. Worth a try.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Over a year's time, I lost 100 pounds. Unfortunately, I've slowly gained it all back over the past few years. I'm struggling to find a way to eat right in a household where I can barely use the kitchen.

Don't get discouraged, you did it once you can do it again.
    Most everyone here either has, or will do the same thing.

Breaking a habit/addiction, like smoking, or succumbing to readily available unhealthy foods, often takes more than one attempt.

Quit smoking half a dozen times in a 30 year period, finally decided enough was enough and haven't had a cigarette since Nov 16, 1991 (at 1:30 AM ). :evil:

The undeniable "feel good" benefits of my current diet, for me, has hopefully got me off that seesaw, like it did with smoking - despite the fact that cauliflower does not make a satisfying substitute for white rice in my beloved Cajun cooking. lol

gemihur

chillin' like a villain
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Cave Spring, VA
    with enough butter and salt it comes close
    might I suggest a touch of sucralose and a splash of whole milk to cut the bitter edge of it's flavor
    ... and oh, yeah, cut TC some slack!

Top Bottom