APOD Firearms

Looks like I need a new battery. Recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Previously in cars I planned to keep a long time, I'd have Interstate batteries and if it was a beater, I'd just get a cheap Autozone/Walmart battery.

This is for a car I plan to keep so I want to get a good battery. What is a good value out there for a quality battery?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Carquest has good wet cell batteries.

Personally, I prefer gel cell batteries over wet cells. I haven't heard of a bad gel cell brand yet. Gell cells in general are more durable than wet cells. I have an Optima in my truck right now, but I will probably go with a less expensive brand gel cell next time.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Interstate mega-tron hands down the best battery out there.

Had my fair share of other brands and quite a few optima red tops but interstate has out lasted and out preformed any of the previous brands I had.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Wet cell batteries weakness' are in the water evaporating, drastic temperature differences are tough on them, and they're prone to shock. Gel cell batteries are maintenance free, handle the temperature much more stable, and can take a bit of tossing around (driving off curbs, etc....). I THINK gel cell batteries are good for 5 years vs the wet cells avg lifespan being at 3, but it's been a while since I looked into it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yeah.
    I gotta get a new battery too.
    My 9 year old interstate finally bit the dust.
    I think I'll get another one.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I just replaced the Optima that had been in my truck since 2005. Still started the truck just fine even though it was "bad". Only reason I replaced it was because I was having some issues that I couldn't figure out ... and the battery didn't change that.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I replaced my first Optima Red top after using it for 6 years. The only reason I replaced it was because it was 6 years old. I've used them on military equipment for years-never had a problem with them. Being the battery guy for the shop, they really made my job easier. lol

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    Optima is like the Kimber of batteries. Their quality is just not there anymore. They just milk that name...

Look into the DieHard Platinum batteries from Sears. Same technology as the Optimas, but better quality and better warranty. Also, half the price.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I replaced my first Optima Red top after using it for 6 years. The only reason I replaced it was because it was 6 years old. I've used them on military equipment for years-never had a problem with them. Being the battery guy for the shop, they really made my job easier. lol

My first Optima came from the Walmart parking lot. Apparently somebody had changed it in the parking lot and just left it there. It was totally dead with absolutely NO voltage. I took it home and put it on a charger. It came back to life (even though it was "bad" according to the tester) and I used it for 5+ years before I sold the vehicle it was in. No clue how old it was to begin with.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Optima is like the Kimber of batteries. Their quality is just not there anymore. They just milk that name...

Look into the DieHard Platinum batteries from Sears. Same technology as the Optimas, but better quality and better warranty. Also, half the price.

I know that I was disappointed to see "Made in Mexico" stamped on my new one, but I'll take made in Mexico over Made in China.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have been using the one's Advance Auto sells. Autocraft Gold or Platinum. I can get a good 5 years out of them before I replace them. Even tho they are still working, I don't trust any battery after 5 years. Used to be, you could tell when a battery was going bad. Now days, they are like electronics. Working fine in morning, dead cell that afternoon.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I have been using the one's Advance Auto sells. Autocraft Gold or Platinum. I can get a good 5 years out of them before I replace them. Even tho they are still working, I don't trust any battery after 5 years. Used to be, you could tell when a battery was going bad. Now days, they are like electronics. Working fine in morning, dead cell that afternoon.

+1 on that. Mine always die in the summer though.

Somebody can explain why it makes so much difference nowadays with all the electronic 'stuff' in vehicles; but I've experienced that "good in the morning...deader than heck by lunch" syndrome. Let me tell you, you do NOT want the battery to die in a vehicle like the Volvo XC60, especially if you are locked out with only the keyless fob in your pocket. NOTHING will open. I reckon other 'smart key' vehicles are similar.

Only problem I had with that vehicle in ~60k miles...three batteries in that 3.4 year time span...all replaced under warranty, but a pain in the rear on one particularly hot summer afternoon ;)

Not to mention, some vehicles are particularly susceptible to the 'overnight drain' if the auto is parked for extended periods. There is still a slight drain on the battery from all the whizbang computer stuff going on behind the scenes.
    I gues we need to consider stuff like that when picking a new battery...along with CCA, resistance to temperature variations, warranty, cost, etc

Life used to be so simple... :)

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

Ive replaced 13 yellow top optimas in my truck under a period of 5 years and most of it was within a 2 yr period. I now run conventional batteries.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The DieHard Platinum is a recommended battery for my model truck. With that in mind, I'd apply the quality of the brand altogether. At least, worth a search for your vehicle.

The DieHard Platinum for my truck is on sale right now. Don't know if it that particular model only or Sears putting batteries on sale. Worth a look. Perhaps you'll end up with a deal.

Top Bottom