• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yerman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Just moved back to California from Italy in December. Got a job in Austin texas, packed up the house and family, moved to Austin. 5 weeks later...I get laid off with a dozen other people. WTF
    Venture Surplus ad

Yerman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    BA degree in business from USC - focus on entrepreneurship

Italy was focused on Angel and Venture Capital investing.

Austin job was in enterprise IT - was just learning IT so it's a bit new to me but I was picking it up real fast.

Old job was in pro audio/video sales, service, installation

Last edited:

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Right on. You're in a good area for that.
    Well, doesn't sound like you'd be interested in construction/oil/plant work. Lol
    Unless you have comptroller experience. We're on the lookout for that

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Get hooked in with recruiters.

Be positive and stay flexible.

Don't be afraid to apply for jobs you aren't "qualified" for.

Or even get a job as a recruiter. If you're good at talking to people and reading through the BS to tell what it is the people REALLY want, you can do okay. A recruiter that hustles can make a fairly good living. If you can listen and network, you can recruit. I knew a couple people years back that took jobs as recruiters and ended up starting their own companies. One ended up only working about 10 hours a week from his waterfront home.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Don't be too proud to take a walmart job if you are hurting for money. Also, HEB pays like 10hr iirc. Good luck.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Don't be too proud to take a walmart job if you are hurting for money. Also, HEB pays like 10hr iirc. Good luck.

Exactly, remember that any job is a good job, that most people understand wanting a better job but most also question why someone remains unemployed for extended periods (in other words, don't hold out for that "perfect" job too long as such holes in your work history are very obvious and hard to explain).

Your best bet for finding a job is networking, make an effort to connect with as many people as you can in the fields you are interested in. Try to find someone who will help mentor you. LinkedIn is a good starting point, it is an online social networking site for professionals. Contact people in the career areas you are looking at and see if they can provide any help and/or advice. Most will try to help if they can.

It's a tough and competitive job market out there, and you have to work hard to make yourself stand out above the masses; but it's possible! If you don't find a job right away, then consider getting other certifications to expand your value to a potential employer. That is also a good idea after you get a job, I retired from the military eight years ago and have been constantly employed the entire time. It's not always been easy, but I've done things like gotten a second graduate degree and other certifications to stay valuable to my company. Every little bit helps!

Good luck! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    By the way, this is Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom...:D

1bb497f3f1dffefd7d92a95bf4dcaa3d.jpg

Top Bottom