Loving this.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DirtyD, Feb 18, 2009.

1. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
  2. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Not sure I understand what it means. I think it means that the feds cant make stronger laws than the state? I have been up too long today and am not firing on all cylinders.

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

"RESOLVED, That all compulsory federal legislation that directs states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties or sanctions or that requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding be prohibited or repealed; and, be it further"

I am not sure what "stronger laws" are.

Texas is saying that they are tired of the fed gov passing laws the constitution does not allow, and coercing states to make laws the feds cannot by witholding funds from the state.

4. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I believe speed limits and the legal age you can purchase alcohol are good examples of this. I think both are tied to recieving federal highway funds.

It's a symbolic gesture, at best.....probably more of a political statement.

5. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

There are a whole lot of other states doing the same thing so I dont think
    that it is a symbolic gesture when you have about 15 or 20 states
    coming up with there own versions of that resolution.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Basically, sending a message to DC that anything beyond the scope of the US Constitution is a State's right. Montana passed a similar law and specifically addressed the lack of Federal control over guns that are made in state and sold in state. Exempting dealers from the need of an FFL for dealing in firearms that have never left the state. The Feds fall back on the "Interstate Commerce" clause to regulate guns and many other products. Similar situation here would repeal Federal excise tax and other regulation on STI and SV pistols unless they were shipped to an out of state distributor and returned to the state.

Save about $200-300 on a new STI, I'm in!