• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Very common for right handed shooters. If it wasn't clear to you from what others have already said about anticipation, an alternative explanation (humorous) was described as you "getting assistance from the three amigos". This refers to the middle, ring, and pinky fingers on your strong side hand. You anticipate the pistol will recoil, and you "want" to keep in on target, so you grip with these three fingers a little harder just before you expect the trigger to break. This drags the muzzle down and left as the round goes off. This is more pronounced if you "decide" to pull the trigger NOW, and then quickly pull the trigger (slapping). As others have said, practice pressing the trigger and not moving the sight during dry fire. build muscle memory doing that. Practice pressing the trigger slowly and smoothly. The trigger break should come as a surprise to you when doing this. Put more concentration into gripping the pistol with your support hand so you can somewhat relax the strong side hand (especially those three amigos). The tighter you grip with your strong hand, the more pronounced the effect of the three amigos when you anticipate the shot. As others have already said, practice with a .22 also helps as you simply have less recoil to anticipate. Good luck!
    Target Sports

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    Just move your target down and to the left.

Alternately, aim high to the right.

7526D331-0CE0-4A20-A8F7-370A246F2F5B.jpeg

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Good advice here. I agree that dryfiring practice would help a lot. Snap caps mixed with live rounds a well so that the shooter can observe his technique.
    If I may add a little bit extra: have him pull the trigger very slowly, the shot should surprise him. That way, he cannot easily flinch and dip the muzzle or pull the trigger sideways. If the range allows supports, have him shoot with support (standing or benchrest, doesn't matter). That way he can take time to align the sights on target without rushing to beat fatigue.
    Laser might help while practicing faster trigger pull (dryfire). Slow pull is easy to control but once he starts speeding it up, he might fall into the same bad habits. Observing the laser provides great feedback. The farther from a target he is, the easier it is to see mistakes. Step him back gradually.
    Lastly, do not underestimate trigger finger placement. Have him dry fire slow and fast with different finger placement and see what gives the least lateral movement.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Lots of good advice and I respect all the opinions above.

I’m different here I guess. I think you are wasting your time with gentling squeezing the trigger on a pistol. I’d work on developing a grip that allows to to yank that trigger however you need to. A side benefit will be recoil control for faster follow ups.

pfflyer55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2022
    Texas
    I had similar issues with my shooting eye. I got Euvitis and Glaucoma in the same year and lost 50% of my eyesight in it. The steroid drops arent too good for your pressures.. Taking lots of combigan to decrease pressures.

You might want to try getting a pair of shooting glasses, prescription. However, most people would think that solves it, but it doesnt bring back a damaged optic nerve.
    Exactly what I have had for some 30 years. Pressure drops and steroid drops caused the iris to atrophy and now it’s stuck open!

Top Bottom