• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pfflyer55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2022
    Texas
    Of all my trips to the range I’m typically low and left with a 5 shot pattern about 4” from 7 yards. Any exercises to help eliminate the tendency?
    Target Sports

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    There are plenty of drills that can show you the problem, but fixing it is another story!

The most common is to randomly mix snap caps with live rounds in the mag and you should be able to see yourself moving the gun as you pull the trigger.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I went with my son to an indoor range, cause he wanted to get better at a pistol before he started police academy. He was shooting waaaay left and down, so I shot the pistol to make sure the sights weren't off. I was shooting bullseye, so it wasn't the pistol. His biggest issue, was bad shot anticipation, so I started him off on a few basic drills.

First set of drills, I had him shoot 10 shots of dry fire, making him focus on good sight picture and target alignment, then 1 live round. I did this like 10 times. After each set of reps, his shots got closer and then eventually all in the bullseye. This got him off of focusing on recoil and focusing on sights/target.

Next step was, that I would shoot somewhere on the back of a target and he would try to shoot the same hole. After 20 rounds or so, he was hitting very close or on my shots.

At the end of the range session, he went from about an 8 inch spread, to getting all his shots in the red on a B27 target.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    @pfflyer55 As the others said, it's probably anticipation, trigger slap.

Do you know your eye dominance? More than a few folks are cross-eye dominate and that will play havoc with you - especially if you want to shoot skeet or trap...

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    Buy a nice suppressed .22 pistol. Practice your trigger control and develop muscle memory with it. Then move back to bigger guns.

I shoot 300-400 rounds of .22 each week. Good practice and affordable.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    There are many reasons why your shot is off but it's hard to diagnose without seeing you shoot.

The best thing to do is practice dry firing your gun. Place a coin on the front and try to keep it from bouncing off while concentrating on your sight picture.
    2e60c6d5a5fea1d44de1e223f7084c35.jpg

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    I had the same problem then I acquired a DA/SA pistol. I practiced DA dry fire for 2 weeks 30-45 min a day until the front sight didn’t move regularly. Next range trip I was way more consistent center mass.
    I still dryfire with it but 2x a week now.

pfflyer55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2022
    Texas
    @pfflyer55 As the others said, it's probably anticipation, trigger slap.

Do you know your eye dominance? More than a few folks are cross-eye dominate and that will play havoc with you - especially if you want to shoot skeet or trap...
    I’m right eye dominant but wear progressive no line bifocals and a terrible astigmatism. My left eye is permanently damaged and my pupil is permanently dilated from multiple surgeries and the use of steroid eye drops. I see multiple site pics (double vision) and have to pick the brightest one. Constantly moving my head to focus is just annoying.

But all in all I’m not doing to bad for what I deal with daily. I tried shooting without my glasses and it’s really almost the same results.

No worries just have to take the good with the bad and if you really think about it it’s a blessing that I still have my eyesight although only about 30% in my left eye. It’s not an excuse just a fact.

Orionsic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2022
    Houston
    I’m right eye dominant but wear progressive no line bifocals and a terrible astigmatism. My left eye is permanently damaged and my pupil is permanently dilated from multiple surgeries and the use of steroid eye drops. I see multiple site pics (double vision) and have to pick the brightest one. Constantly moving my head to focus is just annoying.

But all in all I’m not doing to bad for what I deal with daily. I tried shooting without my glasses and it’s really almost the same results.

No worries just have to take the good with the bad and if you really think about it it’s a blessing that I still have my eyesight although only about 30% in my left eye. It’s not an excuse just a fact.
    I had similar issues with my shooting eye. I got Euvitis and Glaucoma in the same year and lost 50% of my eyesight in it. The steroid drops arent too good for your pressures.. Taking lots of combigan to decrease pressures.

You might want to try getting a pair of shooting glasses, prescription. However, most people would think that solves it, but it doesnt bring back a damaged optic nerve.

Top Bottom