• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Roasted Sweet potatoes as Deemus says, toss with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, parchment paper is a must, sprinkle some pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice and some chili seasoning....400 in the oven until they are done to your liking.

Brussel sprouts are great too, toss with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and some garlic pepper seasoning. I like to thinly slice them on a mandolin or at the least quarter them.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Roasted Sweet potatoes as Deemus says, toss with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, parchment paper is a must, sprinkle some pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice and some chili seasoning....400 in the oven until they are done to your liking.

Brussel sprouts are great too, toss with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and some garlic pepper seasoning. I like to thinly slice them on a mandolin or at the least quarter them.
    Curious if you are suggesting this for a low carb diet?

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Yes. Low carb does not mean no-carb. Interwebs says (1) cup diced sweet potatoes has about 27g. 1cup of cooked rice has about 52g.

And I don't think Brussel sprouts has much at all.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yes. Low carb does not mean no-carb. Interwebs says (1) cup diced sweet potatoes has about 27g. 1cup of cooked rice has about 52g.

And I don't think Brussel sprouts has much at all.
    I try to keep my meals around 30 carbs, 27 towards a cup of sweet potatoes doesn't leave room for much more.

ETA: My low carb diet is not to lose weight, it's to keep me from having to use insulin.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I cook in bulk on weekend mornings. Grill 1/2 lb hamburger patties on the grill. Baked chicken breasts and baked pork loin and turkey. I cook up a bunch of entrees and put them in sealed containers for microwaving later with a can or fresh veggies. Spinach, broccoli, collard greens, green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts and other green veggies. I can cook up two weeks of entrees in an hour or two. I buy family packs of chicken breasts, whole pork loins and 10lb chubs of hamburger along with a turkey now and then just to add variety. Nuke the entrée and cook the veggie and eat in short order. Also hamburger soup. 10lb hamburger chub, browned and a giant can of green beans and a large bag of succotash. Add beef broth to cover and heat through till the veggies are ready. Entrees freeze better with gravy over them. Lost 70 lbs plus and off all meds except thyroid pill. Back to the Endo in March for an update.

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_190254.jpg
      IMG_20190902_190254.jpg
      527.8 KB · Views: 83
    • PXL_20210529_154026935.jpg
      PXL_20210529_154026935.jpg
      511.6 KB · Views: 85
    • PXL_20210319_004121086.jpg
      PXL_20210319_004121086.jpg
      423.9 KB · Views: 82
    • PXL_20210718_141511579.jpg
      PXL_20210718_141511579.jpg
      226.5 KB · Views: 77
    • PXL_20210203_011041618.jpg
      PXL_20210203_011041618.jpg
      541.7 KB · Views: 79
    • PXL_20201205_231911471.jpg
      PXL_20201205_231911471.jpg
      497.9 KB · Views: 80
    • PXL_20210522_225256997.jpg
      PXL_20210522_225256997.jpg
      529.5 KB · Views: 82

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Brisket is basically zero carbs.

One slice of French bread = 30 carbs.

How many carbs are in the bbq sauce?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    After falling off the low-carb wagon I got back on three weeks ago. Pre COVID I'd been doing it for the better part of a year and had shed 60lbs. I gained about 40 back since Rona hit.

Some of my favorite low / lower carb recipes:

Fajita soup - done up with pork or chicken.

1 small onion (this is where a lot of the carbs in this dish come from, because onions are pretty carby for a vegetable)
    2 bell peppers
    2-5 chili peppers of your choice (serrano, jalapeno, anaheim, etc)
    1.5 lbs of small cubed pork or chicken
    4 cups of bone broth - or a high quality beef broth - bone broth is better
    1 large can of rotel tomatoes or similar (this is the main source of the rest of the carbs in the dish)
    1 or 2 table spoons of Worchestershire sauce
    Juice of one lime, fresh squeezed, or substitute a table spoon of the concentrate stuff from the bottle
    Season to taste with your preferred low carb seasonings. Black pepper, good quality salt, turmeric (a good anti inflamatory) chili powder, a dash of cumin, etc - this is where you really tweak the flavor to suit you.

You can keep track of the macros on this dish pretty easy - I like using MyFitnessPal and create recipes to track in there, it breaks down the macros for you so you are staying in your carb range.

Another one we recently started doing is a sloppy joe casserole - my wife used to do this with tater tots. Its literally sloppy joe mix (I like doing home made, but you can find packet mixes that work and keep the carbs down) that is spooned over the base - in the lower carb case, I use cauliflower florets that are broiled in the baking dish for 20 minutes first (if using frozen, if fresh, 10-12 seems to do the trick to brown them a bit and soften them up)

Spoon over the sloppy joe, then top with good quality shredded cheese, pop under the broiler for 90 seconds to melt and brown the cheese. Lower carb than a potato based dish.

Cabbage soup is another good one.

Shred one whole head of cabbage.

Sautee your choice of meat - I usually use pork loin diced up like the soup above
    Add 4 cups of chicken stock or bone broth
    Add 4 table spoons of butter
    I like adding celery to this soup, diced finely along with a whole green bell pepper, diced finely
    Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and chili powder
    Add the cabbage shreds and stir well, simmer until the cabbage is tender.

Lower-carb lasagna is also a hit in our house

Its literally lasagna, but instead of pasta, I boil red cabbage leafs until they're tender (they'll bend without snapping) and then assemble as usual. My wife keeps mistakenly referring to this as "egg plant lasagna" but I hate egg plant and have never used it. Always cabbage.

The other night I did bunless burgers - my mother in law is *supposed* to be eating low carb, shes drastically obese, type 2 diabetic, and battling an infection on her foot that the docs have told her she has one last chance to win or she's losing her foot. I've been trying to get her off the sugary crap. She was craving a burger and wanted Whataburger - I said no, I'll make burgers at home.

I broiled up some angus patties, added cheese slices between, and topped with regular toppings. Side dishes were fresh raw veggies (raddishes, cucumbers) and green beans.

Most nights though I'm doing a simple variation of chicken/beef/pork with broccoli, broccoli / cauli mix, or another dark green vegetable. Like to sautee my veggies in olive oil vs boil or steam them. If the veggies get a little burned even better, it brings forth some flavors you don't get from steaming or boiling, and the olive oil is a healthy fat.

Breakfast is meat (bacon or sausage) and eggs. No toast. No cereals.

For lunch I usually just slice some sharp white cheddar cheese with a couple ounces of pepperoni, ham, or summer sausage and have some zesty dill pickles or green olives on the side. The pickles are a great snack because they're under 1 gram of carbs, like, 1 calorie, and they're filling. The olives are only mildly more caloric and helps with the salt intake.

If you are doing low carb and eating healthy - make sure you're getting enough salt. Salt is not the boogey man it was pitched to be forever. Too little salt leads to health problems. I avoid iodized salt and go for the best quality salt I can find.

In three weeks I've dropped 10 lbs, which I attribute mostly to the drastically lower carb intake. I'm not eating tiny portions, I'm not over eating. I'm also exercising - 3-4 nights a week in karate classes (learning a new style, plus I teach my own students on other nights) plus I'm working with a weight lifting coach once a week in the gym, and using my free weights at home 2 or 3X a week.

After a weight lifting session I will eat one or two cans of tuna (water packed) that has a drizzle of olive oil mixed in, with just a little minced garlic, and I'll have a small amount of fruit with it (usually a small orange) as a dessert.

My rule is if I have any rice, it has to be accompanied by beans, because rice + beans make a complete protein, I also limit the intake of the rice and beans because both bring carbs to the table. I've flat out cut out pasta, bread, and starchy vegetables like potatoes.

I've adopted keto principles while not adhering to a strictly keto diet - but with way less carb intake than my "normal" diet consisted of. Lots of a protein, lots of healthy fats, no starchy stuff. Vegetables, I like green veggies the most.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Unbreaded hot wings
    Caesar salad with grilled chicken (no croutons)
    Pork rinds are zero carb
    Almonds are low carb (in moderation)
    Cauliflower is good as a rice substitute

Last edited:
    Top Bottom