• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kobiash1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    little elm
    I will be getting a receiver from my suppressor purchase. I going to do my first build. I would like the first build to be done with cheap parts, in anticipation of screw up and then my second of higher quality. Silencerco, LLC Saker556 is the manufacture of the suppressor and I think they are also the manufacture of the receiver .I guest what I need to knows what would be a first build receiver, then a better and very good receiver for a SBR build.
    Thanks
    Jerry
    Venture Surplus ad

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    Aero precision makes great lowers, and their blemished lowers are only $55 plus shipping and xfer fee.
    aeroprecisionusa.com

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    are the PSA blemishes still on sale for $50 plus $7 shipping? Would be a decent learner and if you scratch it, no matter, it's already scratched.
    I have heard that PSA's blem lowers are made by aero but i cant find where i read that atm

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Anticipation of screw up? There is nothing to screw up...... All your doing is assembling a gun, certainly not building.

Yep. There is no "building" a lower.

So by this logic I suppose that houses are only assembled also then. After all, the builder didn't make the lumber, nails etc... He just assembles them.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Yep. There is no "building" a lower.

There's no building, but there sure is breaking.

As in busting off one of the trigger guard ears by accident while installing the roll pins (found this out the hard way :banghead:). Just about any reputable manufacturer will do (I've used Nodak Spud and even DPMS lowers with no issues). But whatever you choose, assemble the lower first and make sure everything is in spec and running good with a 16" barreled upper. Then submit the ATF Forms afterwards (if you are planning on registering it to a trust, you only have 2 days left).

It would seriously suck to have a lower registered as a SBR first and only then find out something is out of spec, or break the thing while trying to get the LPK installed.

Last edited:

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    So by this logic I suppose that houses are only assembled also then. After all, the builder didn't make the lumber, nails etc... He just assembles them.

I don't agree with your logic. Now if a contractor was building a prebuilt house I'd say he's assembling, but building a house form wood and nails is building.

Heck, I know you have "built" many AR's not much difficulty to it besides the bolt release and the ears for the trigger guard.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    "Built" or "Assembled"? Talk about pickin' fly shit out of pepper. In my younger days I used to rebuild my own engines, I suppose some of you would want to correct me and tell me I simply "re-assembled" them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Since I'm tired and my weary brain got stuck on build verses assemble and houses I'm gonna comment about that and ignore the OP.

When you build a house you have to cut everything to fit. If you just use whatever is sent your house will look funny and probably fall down. I have also assembled a couple houses. Pretty much just like an erector set....or an AR.

Now if someone was to cut their barrel to the length they wanted, do the bends and length of the gas tube instead of getting one ready to go, threaded the barrel, used an 80% lower, etc I believe it would qualify in every way as a build.

But that's stupid and pointless just like the argument. The definition of build is to construct something by putting parts together. You BUILD something by ASSEMBLING parts. So anybody can build an AR, or assemble one. Same difference.

Have you considered a polymer lower. How much are those now?

Top Bottom