• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I was speaking to a salty old reloader the other day who is going to sell me some reloading supplies for .44 magnum. He said he's out of large pistol magnum primers, but large rifle primers will work just the same. Any thoughts? Will my lightened trigger still light these babies off, or am I going to have to adjust it back up a bit? They are CCI.

Worst case scenario is I get a bunch of LRPs which I eventually plan to use, anyway.

Thanks!
    Target Sports

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've been reloading about 13 yrs. now and everything I've read and heard from other reloaders is...................absolutely DO NOT substitute primers! Some may work and some may not but I'm not gonna' take a chance on blowing up a good revolver/pistol. Just my two bits.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    really really really bad idea.

CCIs tend to be on the hard side also, same with winchester and wolf.. If you have a light trigger, federal are the way to go IMO.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I've been reloading about 13 yrs. now and everything I've read and heard from other reloaders is...................absolutely DO NOT substitute primers! Some may work and some may not but I'm not gonna' take a chance on blowing up a good revolver/pistol. Just my two bits.
    Wise words.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    You can substitute primers, but you have to start with a starting load.
    I find that spp and srp are about the same in brissance/power/whatever, but the srp are made with a thick cup for 65+ ksi pressure and your pistol's main spring probably won't reliable set them off.
    The magnum primers are much "hotter" to ignite the very hard to ignite magnum powders. They will really increase the peak pressure and will generally be muck less accurate with any of the standard powders.
    Many people use srp in .38 Super, but I find all my guns are not reliable with them and I'm not pushing 40+ ksi loads.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Don't forget that LRPs are not the same size as LPs, they are physically taller by ~0.010" depending on the manufacturer. They *may* not seat flush in a pistol pocket and they could have a different cup thickness or plating than large pistol primers (rifle strikes being harder than pistol strikes). I say don't use them, just go to the store and get the right primers for the load as indicated by your loading manual for the component combination you are using.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    One can use small rifle primers in pistols as they are dimensionally the same. The load MUST be re-worked.

One can NOT use large rifle primers in pistol cases. They will not seat deeply enough to fit flush. You will have a revolver that will be VERY unsafe as the primer can go off when you close the cylinder.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    5k primers = $150 approx. Blown up gun/face/hands = Lots more $$ + loss of pride

If you're planning on using the LRP's anyways, go ahead and pick them up in the deal. Then go buy the correct primers. The only time I will use a different primer is NEVER. Unless it was a SHTF scenario, it's just not worth the risk or even close.

Top Bottom