• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texagun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    North Texas
    I am renewing my Tx LTC by mail and wondering if I still have to send in the Knowledge of Laws and Eligibility Affidavit and the Release of Records Affidavit? I did a search on the topic and got conflicting answers. Can anyone tell me what the current procedure is regarding these documents?
    Thanks for your help.
    Military Camp

texagun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    North Texas
    Have you checked with the office of the folks that you are renewing the license with as to what they require?

Yes I have. I have tried calling the Texas Department of Public Safety phone number but no one answers. Just keep getting recordings of how busy they are and to try again later.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I am renewing my Tx LTC by mail and wondering if I still have to send in the Knowledge of Laws and Eligibility Affidavit and the Release of Records Affidavit? I did a search on the topic and got conflicting answers. Can anyone tell me what the current procedure is regarding these documents?
    Thanks for your help.

I didn’t send in anything for the renewal. Just log into their web site, fill in the payment, hit go, and exactly one month later I had the new license in the mailbox

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Welcome to my pain, I've been working my renewal since August!

I've had a CHL/LTC for 15 years, but now they needed my DD-214 again to prove that status for the discounted renewal (I have been retired military ever since getting my first license).

I also had issues with the fact that my renewal should be free as I am now in the TXSG, and I provided documentation to that effect; but I still ended up paying to renew as they couldn't comprehend why I don't have an ID card (the machine has been broken for the past six months).

The DPS online status checks are worthless, and trying to call is a royal pain but I still recommend it. Try doing so first thing in the morning, I did so earlier this week and it only took 20 minutes to get someone on the line.

By the way, I was told my renewal was finally approved but it still may take up to 45 days to get my new license! It expires before then, but the lady I spoke with said it should arrive sooner than that.

Renewals shouldn't be this difficult. Last time I renewed my TXDL, I had to prove I was a US citizen!

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I didn’t send in anything for the renewal. Just log into their web site, fill in the payment, hit go, and exactly one month later I had the new license in the mailbox

Same here. I just renewed for a second time online a few months ago. Not sure why some of us have an easy, painless experience while others are having more issues.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Welcome to my pain, I've been working my renewal since August!

I also had issues with the fact that my renewal should be free as I am now in the TXSG, and I provided documentation to that effect; but I still ended up paying to renew as they couldn't comprehend why I don't have an ID card (the machine has been broken for the past six months).

Wow, that's pretty lame. I had thought about the TXSG in the past, but since I was a commissioned officer in the Navy, I didn't want to join if I couldn't be an officer. I understand why they don't give commissions without enlisted service first, but it's just not for me. That and I think I'm just too old at 54 to go back to doing military stuff, to the extent that the State Guard does it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Wow, that's pretty lame. I had thought about the TXSG in the past, but since I was a commissioned officer in the Navy, I didn't want to join if I couldn't be an officer. I understand why they don't give commissions without enlisted service first, but it's just not for me. That and I think I'm just too old at 54 to go back to doing military stuff, to the extent that the State Guard does it.

Where did you get that info? It's not correct.

And I am 57, so as long as you are below 70, you can join.

Lastly, while the TXSG does wear military uniforms and follow military regs, it is mostly an emergency management mission.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Where did you get that info? It's not correct.

And I am 57, so as long as you are below 70, you can join.

Lastly, while the TXSG does wear military uniforms and follow military regs, it is mostly an emergency management mission.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Someone on another forum told me that you could not be an officer in the State Guard right away even if you were previously a commissioned officer in the US Armed Forces. I am a former commissioned officer in the US Navy. Other than for initial training, I am just not ready to serve in an enlisted role. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me after spending four years earning my commission in the late 1980's. Also too bad Texas doesn't have a State Naval Militia, (they don't right?) That's apparently actually a thing in some other states. My understanding is Texas has a State Air Guard and a State Guard. Back when I got out nearly 29 years ago the Army National Guard had a program to commission former regular US military officers from other branches after a 6 month active duty training.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Someone on another forum told me that you could not be an officer in the State Guard right away even if you were previously a commissioned officer in the US Armed Forces. I am a former commissioned officer in the US Navy. Other than for initial training, I am just not ready to serve in an enlisted role. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me after spending four years earning my commission in the late 1980's. Also too bad Texas doesn't have a State Naval Militia, (they don't right?) That's apparently actually a thing in some other states. My understanding is Texas has a State Air Guard and a State Guard. Back when I got out nearly 29 years ago the Army National Guard had a program to commission former regular US military officers from other branches after a 6 month active duty training.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but if you were a commissioned officer in the US Navy you can and most likely can obtain a commission in the TXSG given there are no reason to prohibit it. I am a retired USAF officer and was brought in at the rank I retired in.

And while there were separate services within the TXSG, that changed in 2020. However, the same missions such as dive operations still exist.

For more info, go here: State Guard - Texas Military Department

Again, feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss further!

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Man I just renewed online last year. The whole process was slick as a mink’s ass. I don’t recall them wanting much except for my monies

Top Bottom