• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    In 2014 I was arrested for reckless driving and had my CHL revoked. Got a letter stating to surrender my CHL and I was ineligible for 5 years. Fast forward to this week. Since its been over 5 years I went and took the LTC class and when applying got a warning on the application screen that I was indefinitely ineligible for application approval. I called the DPS number and the lady asked for my lic# and verified it was revoked in 2014. Said I needed to write a letter requesting to be eligible again. Then she told me to hold, cause she was going to open a case to escalate the issue so I wouldn't have to wait. A bit later I get a call back from someone and she asks the issue and I told her. This lady states I'm ineligible for 7 years since I had a CHL and it was revoked. I told her that the letter I received said it was to be surrendered and I was only ineligible for 5 years, but she said the letter never said that and its 7 years. Is anyone familiar with this situation?
    Target Sports

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    correct, The second lady said 2 extra years were tacked on because I had a CHL and it was revoked. Then said the 5 year ineligibility is only if I didn't have a CHL to begin with

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    She gave me a date of Feb 27th 2021 of when I will be eligible again. Its not terrible far away so not sure if getting a lawyer would be worth the cost vs just waiting till next year. She said my LTC100 is good for 2 years from the date of completion.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It is. Read the laws. Then talk to an attorney. Especially if can find one that is familiar with those cases. They may know something you don't.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    It is. Read the laws. Then talk to an attorney. Especially if can find one that is familiar with those cases. They may know something you don't.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Ill see if I can find a lawyer that deals with this type of thing

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Save your money on an attorney, the lady at the DPS is correct.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/ltc/faqs/index.htm

59. My license has been revoked because of a Class B misdemeanor conviction for DWI. When can I reapply?

Texas Government Code §411.171(a)(8) states a person is not eligible for a LTC, for a Class A or Class B conviction within five (5) years before the date of application. Once you meet the eligibility requirements, you will not be eligible to reapply for two (2) years following the end of the cause for revocation. See Texas Government Code §411.186.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

i cannot speak for anyone else but ME, but I think that it's just plain NUTS to revoke a CHL for a traffic offense, as it has nothing to do with safely/lawfully carrying a handgun.
    (To quote an old saying: "The law is an ass.")

just my OPINION, satx

Ungluck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    To All,

i cannot speak for anyone else but ME, but I think that it's just plain NUTS to revoke a CHL for a traffic offense, as it has nothing to do with safely/lawfully carrying a handgun.

just my OPINION, satx
    Fully agreed. Even if it was a DWI. Revoke driving privileges, it's directly tied to the offense.

Imagine what it will be like once it run by a Democrat next year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    To All,

just my OPINION, satx
    Reckless driving is the #1 go to for plea bargaining a DWI down. It stays a Class “B” misdemeanor but none of the other bs that goes with a DWI for the defendant. Win/win in both the prosecution’s and defense’s eyes.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Fully agreed. Even if it was a DWI. Revoke driving privileges, it's directly tied to the offense.

Imagine what it will be like once it run by a Democrat next year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    You knew going in what you had to do to not get sideways with the law and your LTC. It is pretty easy to avoid a Class “B” misdemeanor or above.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Save your money on an attorney, the lady at the DPS is correct.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/ltc/faqs/index.htm

59. My license has been revoked because of a Class B misdemeanor conviction for DWI. When can I reapply?

Texas Government Code §411.171(a)(8) states a person is not eligible for a LTC, for a Class A or Class B conviction within five (5) years before the date of application. Once you meet the eligibility requirements, you will not be eligible to reapply for two (2) years following the end of the cause for revocation. See Texas Government Code §411.186.
    That FAQ answer on their web site is wrong. There is no "Texas Government Code §411.171(a)(8)". They might mean 411.172(a)(8).

I think they're interpreting that incorrectly any way. Section 411.172(a)(8) says five years from the date of date of an application. If you don't make an application during those five years, then that section has not applied in five years, far exceeding the two years stated in 411.186.

Top Bottom