• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAtoDFW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    California
    I signed up for a LTC range course + proficiency test in DFW. It runs from 8am until 2:30pm. I've already completed the online instruction in Section A.

I asked the instructor why it takes so long when Section B of Form LTC-101 says "1 to 2 hours of range instruction."

His reply was "because the state requires it."

I asked him for clarification, but I thought I'd run it by the folks here as well.
    Texas SOT

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    My whole class was only about 8 hours or so, and most was classroom time. Definitely wasn’t 6 hours at the range, and this was just a few years ago. I really don’t recall range time being much over an hour. Just long enough for the full class to qualify on the 3, 7, 15 yard sets

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Instructors always run a little nervous that they are being audited by a ringer who is grading how they conduct the various elements of the course... and if they commit an error, it is too much rather than too little .. Plus, until you actually step into the shooting bay and load up. they have no idea how proficient each participant may be. Some of the people around you may have never fired a handgun before this moment in time. I wouldn't want to teach it.. its a thankless exercise nobody should have to go through, including the "instructor".

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The range portion only took my class 2 hours because we went 1/3 of the class at a time...oh, and there's no "range instruction". It's a proficiency test you should pass easily. The rest of the time was in the classroom discussing self defense law, the 20 foot rule, de-escalation, and whether or not licensed carriers have any obligation to play hero.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Sounds like he runs the range proficiency part of the class last. You are supposed to get an hour of classroom (gun safety/storage) + the proficiency if you do the online class. He is basically asking you to sit through his whole class to provide you with what you need.

There are instructors who will give you the hour of classroom and proficiency only.

CAtoDFW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    California
    Sounds like he runs the range proficiency part of the class last. You are supposed to get an hour of classroom (gun safety/storage) + the proficiency if you do the online class. He is basically asking you to sit through his whole class to provide you with what you need.

There are instructors who will give you the hour of classroom and proficiency only.

It was a misunderstanding. The instructor did the range test first before the classroom instruction. Those of us doing range only were able to leave after the range test.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom