• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Another one of the good guys leaves us. Our prayers go out to the family and friends:

http://www.kcbd.com/global/story.asp?s=10253395

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - An overnight accident claims the life of an on duty Lubbock County sheriff's deputy. The horrific collision happened just after midnight at MLK and 88th.
    The Lubbock County sheriff's office is mourning the loss of one of their own. Corporal D. Robert Harvey was out on patrol early Sunday morning in Lubbock County when he was dispatched to a fight. "We had a major accident involving a Lubbock County sheriff's deputy and another vehicle at 12:20 a.m.," said Cpl John Gonzalez with the Texas Department of Public Safety. The accident took Deputy Harvey's life. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:23 a.m.
    DPS says that Deputy Harvey was traveling north on MLK and as he approached the intersection of 88th and MLK, a 2003 Ford pick-up truck, heading south, attempted to make a left turn and collided with Deputy Harvey's vehicle. The head on collision caused Harvey's Dodge Charger to burst into flames, trapping him inside.
    The Lubbock County sheriff's office says the 29-year-old dedicated seven and a half stellar years to the sheriff's office as a member of the SWAT team and the patrol division. The driver of the Ford truck was 25-year-old Justin Dwight McKinney and he is listed in satisfactory condition at University Medical Center. AeroCare took his passenger 24-year-old Justin Wade Walkup to UMC where he's listed in critical condition.
    DPS is still investigating this deadly crash. It's still unknown if alcohol was involved.

Hurley's Gold

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Hope his family sues Dodge. I can see a NHTSA investigation forthcoming.

Investigation would be normal. Lawsuit would also be normal because we are a society of law suit happy people always trying to make a $$$ off of everything that happens with no thought given to the risk of certain things like smashing 2 cars into each other head on. Of course, that's Dodge's fault, not either of the drivers.

You smash 2 cars together and the manufacture can't be held responsible for what might happen as a result. Smashing to cars head on, presumably at a pretty decent speed, is not what cars are intended for. In the old days, it would have made a bigger mess and killed more people.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I got caught up in the "lets sue someone" and didn't ad in my reply that this is horrible. Especially for a guy that young. LE is a high risk but most of these things are carelessness on the public's part. You have to wonder how someone could make a left turn in front of a patrol car, lights and siren or not, at that time of morning when I'm sure there aren't many other cars around.

It doesn't mention whether he was married or had kids but in a case like this, you pray he didn't have kids. Kids shouldn't lose a parents like that.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Very sad and tragic.

You have to wonder how someone could make a left turn in front of a patrol car, lights and siren or not, at that time of morning when I'm sure there aren't many other cars around.

Depends on the intersection. I know of several intersections right in my neighborhood where such an accident could happen easily. And, we don't know if the person turning left had a green light, speed of the cruiser, weather, etc. But I definitely agree that suing an automaker for your car bursting into flames in such a collision is absolutely "sue McDonald's because their coffee burned me" ridiculous.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Sad situation. Condolences to his family & friends.

Left turners are bad juju (...speaking with a rider's point of view)

Seems lots of boneheaded inattentive driver's don't see emergency vehicles when the lights are on, sirens blaring and coming head on. I watched it happen just last weekend on a 2 lane road here in town. Some driver's are simply impatient idiots with the me me me syndrome and can't stand being held up by the car in front who's actually pulling over and yield right of way to the emergency vehicle..

I shouldn't label the other driver in this accident. I wasn't there, I don't know the details. I suppose I'm a bit jaded.

Either way, sad situation.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Stupid decision ends up ruining how many lives?

Yeah, the driver was just released from the hospital, but the passenger is still there. From unofficial sources, I understand he is in pretty bad shape, possibly paralyzed to some degree.

Did the news report state BAC?

No, there was no mention of the level. However, it seems there was plenty of evidence strewn across the scene. I will keep you updated.

The last time a Lubbock County Sheriff's Officer was killed in the line of duty was in 1996. Rudy Gonzales was also responding to a domestic disturbance call and was hit by a drunk driver. His car burst into flames, as well. I imagine it is because they are traveling on county roads at such high rates of speed. It always seems to be the drunk that walks away.

Suspect Charged in Sheriff's Deputy Death - KCBD, NewsChannel 11 Lubbock |

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I work on police vehicles and afterlooking at the Chargers we told our PD no go they are not safe enough for the way they drive. The gas tank goes over the drive shaft and carrier bearing which is not good for our guys cause they are hard on cars. I can see how one burst into flames and its a plastic fuel tank not real safe in my opinion.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I work on police vehicles and after looking at the Chargers we told our PD no go they are not safe enough for the way they drive. The gas tank goes over the drive shaft and carrier bearing which is not good for our guys cause they are hard on cars. I can see how one burst into flames and its a plastic fuel tank not real safe in my opinion.

I can't see how a Charger would burst into flames from hard driving.

The vapors are the flammable characteristic of gasoline. Unless the tank ruptures, its safe. The heat is always present in a vehicle regardless. I'm fairly certain Dodge wouldn't build a car, with classic bloodlines at that, if it was prone to bursting into flames as it drives down the road. Until the fuel tank, lines or intake ruptures, it's as safe as any other vehicle on the road. Nearly all vehicles use plastic tanks (some exceptions linger in my mind).

No vehicle is immune to any tank/reservior rupture in the event of a crash. Let's not forget the plumbling that runs the length of the car and engin bay. Obviously some designs are better than others and every crash is a ball of unique factors. Even the infamous GM Silverado and it's exploding gas tank phenomenon was found to be rigged by NBC. It only exploded when they put a source of ignition to it. Can you say bottle rocket.

Has the fire been investigated and determined to have started because if the driveline and carrier bearing heat? How did the head on crash affect the fuel tank and driveline? Did the rear suspension break loose and allow the driveline to slam up against the fuel tank and puncture it?

I'm not trying to bust your buns here. But there are a lot of things going on in a car crash that immediately pinning it on the fuel tank location over the driveline is premature isn't it?

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Any moving parts will cause heat and around a plastic tank thats not good. I've seen cars that high centered so bad that motor and transmission mounts are moved back through the rubber 1/2-3/4'' which caused driveline bind. With minimal clearance around a gas tank thats just what I want to drive around in and metal is a lil harder to rupture than platic. Car company's do build death traps I seem to remember Fords Pinto and it was a all metal car compared to vehicles nowadays.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Any moving parts will cause heat and around a plastic tank thats not good. I've seen cars that high centered so bad that motor and transmission mounts are moved back through the rubber 1/2-3/4'' which caused driveline bind. With minimal clearance around a gas tank thats just what I want to drive around in and metal is a lil harder to rupture than platic. Car company's do build death traps I seem to remember Fords Pinto and it was a all metal car compared to vehicles nowadays.

Are you saying you think the tank was ruptured by a forceful impact or that it melted from generated pinion bearing heat?

The Ford Pinto's Achilles heel was that the rear area wasn't properly reinforced. Allowing rear end collisions to rupture the fuel tank.

As for heat conduction, in general, heat transfers at a higher rate in metallic solids compared to non-metallic or liquid mediums. Installing a completely metal tank is probably not the best move. Installing a heat shield might work better.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    More than likely shear force could have its a unibody car which is designed to crinkle up to absorb the blow and depending on speed its very possible sheer force is the cause. But over time bearings wear out faster when not well maintained and when it goes out the bearing will either generate huge amounts of heat or make the bearing come apart and bang around an inch or two. Which in turn could cause serious issues.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Most metal tanks have a heat sheild over them for the heat transfer reason. We use the Crown Vic because of the full frame which makes them handle impacts alot better. I've seen several impacts on them and only one where the gas tank leaked it was a rear collision at over 85mph.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    More than likely shear force could have its a unibody car which is designed to crinkle up to absorb the blow and depending on speed its very possible sheer force is the cause. But over time bearings wear out faster when not well maintained and when it goes out the bearing will either generate huge amounts of heat or make the bearing come apart and bang around an inch or two. Which in turn could cause serious issues.

Good thoughts. I forgot about the uni-body characteristics. In this accident there was a considerable impact head-on impact. I'm still interested to see exactly where this fire started.

As for the bearings wearing out from lack of maintenance, though you worked on them??

I'd had a carrier bearing go out on a truck, the damage inside the pumpkin was fantastic to say the least.

Edit: Any idea how the Chargers compare to other LEO vehicles like the Camaro or Buick?

Top Bottom