Gun Zone Deals

M&P blew up due to a friend's friend's lack of common sense.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    He asks me "hey can I put the barrel in so I can shoot this one next"? I said "SURE", not anticipating that this dumb shit wouldn't match ports with ports. Something I would had figured was complete common sense. Guess not!
    That is, I think, one of the biggest mistakes that more experienced folks make about those with less to no experience - that there is anything that is common sense about firearms and handling them. There is absolutely nothing, that I have ever witnessed in around 55 years since I first shot a gun, that is common sense about firearms and handling them. Even if there was something that was common sense about firearms and handling them, there is no guarantee that any given person would exercise it.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    That is, I think, one of the biggest mistakes that more experienced folks make about those with less to no experience - that there is anything that is common sense about firearms and handling them. There is absolutely nothing, that I have ever witnessed in around 55 years since I first shot a gun, that is common sense about firearms and handling them. Even if there was something that was common sense about firearms and handling them, there is no guarantee that any given person would exercise it.

Yea, that's true. I always thought all principles transcend subject matter (square peg in square hole), but I'm finding out firearms seems to be a puzzling thing to more than I thought. Lesson learned.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Idiocracy on display.
    7869C17A-8F95-43A5-A876-3802D74BF7C9.jpeg

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I have a friend, real good guy.

he is never allowed to touch any of my guns ever again.
    I was showing him one of my old revolvers, he grabbed it, and starting dry firing it like some cowboy movie. Well, I didn’t get a chance to make sure it wasn’t loaded, and he didn’t check.
    He assumed it was unloaded.
    it was unloaded, he and I was lucky. It was a 357 magnum. Would have went through walls and killed some one in the apartment next door.

never again.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    question:
    ”can i put the barrel into this one...”
    answer:
    ”no, i‘ll do it”

then there’d be no problem, boss. glad no one lost a finger.

-now he’s not a stranger after all?
    -stranger or friend, you should put together your own guns.
    -still unclear on why field stripping is necessary to show how ported vs non ported feels.

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I have a friend, real good guy.

he is never allowed to touch any of my guns ever again.
    I was showing him one of my old revolvers, he grabbed it, and starting dry firing it like some cowboy movie. Well, I didn’t get a chance to make sure it wasn’t loaded, and he didn’t check.
    He assumed it was unloaded.
    it was unloaded, he and I was lucky. It was a 357 magnum. Would have went through walls and killed some one in the apartment next door.

never again.

I took this picture at SWFA years ago.

1606510698398.png

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I saw the original TFB post on this back a few years ago...

And, again, I'll ask, WHAT actually happened?

Do the gasses going out the ports curve around under the slide and 'cut' the frame, below? Or what?

The problem you have understanding this is because you're thinking in terms of old school, steel guns. Go grab a sig that's a modular design and see how a little hook and one pin holds the "gun" part in the plastic.

These polymer guns are engineered to withstand the rounds they are made for being fired out of the barrel in a specific manner. All the engineering and calculations are based on everything being aligned just right.

Change the direction of force a bit, and all that goes out the window. Then it's just basic physics and the path of least resistance.

The M&P barrels tilt up as the slide cycles because they have a fixed barrel link instead of rotating. Add the ported barrel directing forces against the upward movement and against the fixed link and the plastic pieces are the weak link in the equation.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    -still unclear on why field stripping is necessary to show how ported vs non ported feels.

Didn't have to be field stripped. I was just showing them field stripping and how to do it. They had questions and I wanted to turn regular guys into gun guys, so we went out to the desert and spent a day with guns. The only reason I actually kept that particular one apart was because I had to change some parts to make the MCK accept it. So I had two slides apart because it won't accept suppressor sights.

My dumb ass should had just told him no. I just didn't want to take my attention off of the guy I was monitoring shooting. But hey, frames aren't that expensive and nobody was hurt. Lesson learned. I'm sure I'll learn more over the years.

Last edited:

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Ported barrels just make more noise and in this case blow guns up.

No, it's actually a big difference, at least for this gun. I was going to sell it because I thought the same, but it was enough to make me keep it for carry. It's the only ported gun I've shot so I can't say the same for anything else.

Top Bottom