• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    I don't get why the safety bothers people. It doesn't bother me at all. Either use it or don't. It's not like it's in the way, at least not for me.

It's problematic for a couple reasons.

1. If the owner wishes to use the safety, it's much to harder to disengage in a high stress encounter of a gun fight. A 1911 safety is much more intuitive. The Shield's safety hugs the frame too closely and makes it too hard to disengage. Remember, a gunfight won't be the same as range time.

2. Murphy's Law. If it can happen, it will. You need to train to use the pistol with and without the safety engaged. Because sure enough, when you don't expect it, the safety will be engaged when you thought it wasn't or wasn't engaged when you thought it was. You need to train to use it both ways.

As for me, I don't want to train both ways on the same pistol. So I sold mine and ordered one without a safety. It should be here in a few days.

Ironhorseromo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2014
    Understood. That's why I train with the safety on. I don't want to get into a gun fight and forget to disengage the safety or not have it on and it accidentally engages due to Murphy's law. In a high stressed situation, I'm relying on on instinct and muscle/memory. Draw, disengage, aim(ish), fire!

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    I carry a Glock and a Shield, depending on what I'm wearing...I've trained with both...I'm not too worried about whether one has a safety and the other doesn't...just like I know how many rounds each gun holds.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    My main carry is a Glock 27. I picked up my Shield from a family member due to how slim it is. It carries awesome with a t shirt now in the summer. I never mess with the safety and never had a issue with it. Did have to send the Shield to S&W though for the sear deactivation lever falling out due to the pin that holds it in never being ut in from the factory.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    FWIW, I carry a Glock, but this thread reminded me of this quote: "I also cannot figure out why so many people are absolutely, positively, 100% against having a safety on their pistol but when asked if they would want their rifle or shotgun to not have a safety, they look at me like I am crazy." - Doug Flavin, Modern Service Weapons

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    FWIW, I carry a Glock, but this thread reminded me of this quote: "I also cannot figure out why so many people are absolutely, positively, 100% against having a safety on their pistol but when asked if they would want their rifle or shotgun to not have a safety, they look at me like I am crazy." - Doug Flavin, Modern Service Weapons

And here is an excellent response given by a reader.

Nobody questions that shotguns or rifles should have a safety due the fact that you really can’t holster the weapon. If I had to carry a pistol on a one point sling that I just let bounce off my body, I probably would reconsider a safety. But I know personally two individual that are alive due to not having safeties on their pistols, both were extremely wounded with one individual having to fire his weapon with his ring finger. If you are using a pistol you probably were not expecting to get into a gunfight , so why do you expect to have full control of your limbs.

i agree with this and would like to add that combat rifles were designed as offensive weapons. They van be used defensively but they were designed with a battle offensive in mind. So in that situation you will likely have time to disengage the safety.

A combat bat handgun is a defensive weapon. I've taken a force on force class and half way through it I realized how glad I was that my Glock didn't have a thumb safety.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    "I also cannot figure out why so many people are absolutely, positively, 100% against having a safety on their pistol but when asked if they would want their rifle or shotgun to not have a safety, they look at me like I am crazy." - Doug Flavin, Modern Service Weapons

That's one of the most ridiculous, idiotic statements I have ever read.

Top Bottom