• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I thought we were done with this conversation, You have some serious OCHD issues. They make a pill for that you know. Yeah, 35 years of LP oil and my M1 still shoots perfectly,,,, and with my adjustable gas plug.

If I throw a stick, will you finally go away now?
    I don't know, you said you were done. I made no such claim.

OCHD? what does hoarding have to do with this?

Just because you've done something for 35 years doesn't make you right.

Tell you what, you post a pic of your M1's and a piece of paper with your username, and I'll stop pointing out how wrong you are
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2022
    East Texas
    I don't know, you said you were done. I made no such claim.

OCHD? what does hoarding have to do with this?

Just because you've done something for 35 years doesn't make you right.

Tell you what, you post a pic of your M1's and a piece of paper with your username, and I'll stop pointing out how wrong you are
    It has nothing to do with “hoarding.” Lol. How old are you again?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Stop with the insults. Read the code of conduct:
    Respect Other Posters
    It's common for topics to get heated, but we will not tolerate people growing belligerent or getting out of hand. If you feel that a thread has exceeded its limit, please report the thread for the admin/mod staff. We are all gun people, we are all playing on the same team.

Poohgyrr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2019
    South Central Texas
    I know it’s rare now, or at least not nearly as common as it used to be, and I have mine, but how long has it been since a batch of surplus ammo was released?

I miss those days.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I know it’s rare now, or at least not nearly as common as it used to be, and I have mine, but how long has it been since a batch of surplus ammo was released?

I miss those days.

Maybe a year ago, some questionable turk stuff came on the market

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I pulled the bullet on a round that got struck 2x and didn't fire. I had to dig the powder out with a stick. It was marked 57 nk

Spence1875

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Houston

he Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is pleased to announce the recent acquisition of .30 carbine, .22 pistol, M2 ball, and .22 Long Rifle surplus ammunition supply that will soon become available to CMP customers. Currently, the items are in the cataloging and assessment stage by staff members.

That is from February

Jeremy2171

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2023
    Not here
    Couple of comments...

Grease not oil...if you are not sure of this. Read the army FM where it says to use grease. Debate settled.

Good oprod spring is essential.. less than 19.5" should be replaced.

Commercial ammo is fine and no need for aftermarket gizmos. Commercial ammo and milsurp ammo operate at similar pressures so no dangers unless...your rifle is dry and your springs are worn.

Bullet weight also isn't an issue.

Spence1875

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Houston
    Only hitch in the oil vs grease, is the grease was recommended versus oil originally as it was found the Garands were jamming after exposure to the elements, mostly water, rain etc.., it washed away the oil, hence the need for grease (Lubriplate) that stuck on better and wouldn't wash off. There was a huge test done at Springfield Armory to determine the best grease, they made a water spray apparatus that hit the action from the top while firing in a fixture.

I remembering reading about this years ago, maybe Garand Collectors Article?? Been a while.

So, grease was mil spec, but for reasons I do not think any of us will encounter unless we use it in battle again.

Use either for normal range use and you are good to go.

Jeremy2171

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2023
    Not here
    Only hitch in the oil vs grease, is the grease was recommended versus oil originally as it was found the Garands were jamming after exposure to the elements, mostly water, rain etc.., it washed away the oil, hence the need for grease (Lubriplate) that stuck on better and wouldn't wash off. There was a huge test done at Springfield Armory to determine the best grease, they made a water spray apparatus that hit the action from the top while firing in a fixture.

I remembering reading about this years ago, maybe Garand Collectors Article?? Been a while.

So, grease was mil spec, but for reasons I do not think any of us will encounter unless we use it in battle again.

Use either for normal range use and you are good to go.
    The Army FM specifically called for grease in specific areas.

Grease has less friction than oil.

Basically it makes things slide better since grease sticks to the sliding points...oil doesn't.

Use the grease as directed and you will be fine. Use oil and maybe you will be fine.

I can certainly pick up a rifle and feel if it's oiled vs greased.

Spence1875

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Houston
    I found my reference as I remembered, in Scott Duffs excellent book, pages 79/80, grease was used due to stoppages in the tropics in heavy rainfall, not for wear or better lubrication properties.

Use what you want. Spence

Attachments

• 280DD0B5-D902-42B2-B723-10AFD620CA1F.jpeg
      280DD0B5-D902-42B2-B723-10AFD620CA1F.jpeg
      389.1 KB · Views: 30
    • 0205691A-EA27-40CA-B4C0-8C743CD60593.jpeg
      0205691A-EA27-40CA-B4C0-8C743CD60593.jpeg
      344.2 KB · Views: 30
    • C57AB462-AB4B-4A2F-9E24-7403E62FFCBB.jpeg
      C57AB462-AB4B-4A2F-9E24-7403E62FFCBB.jpeg
      262.6 KB · Views: 28

Jeremy2171

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2023
    Not here
    Grease was called for even on the gas trap era grease tubes.

414471572-1.jpg

If you oil your rifle you are causing more friction as the oil will run/burn off the areas that need to stay lubed.

This isn't a secret. Follow the army guidelines or have premature wear.

I've also had rifles that wouldn't function until I properly greased them.

Use what you want..just know that grease is better in the long term.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Couple of comments...

Grease not oil...if you are not sure of this. Read the army FM where it says to use grease. Debate settled.

Good oprod spring is essential.. less than 19.5" should be replaced.

Commercial ammo is fine and no need for aftermarket gizmos. Commercial ammo and milsurp ammo operate at similar pressures so no dangers unless...your rifle is dry and your springs are worn.

Bullet weight also isn't an issue.

Welcome to the Forum!

TH4DDEUS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    California
    So since I have been gone a while due to sickness/broken collar bone. I figured I would at the very least report back. The gun is running quite smoothly when at the range. However I did have to kick the bolt back when I initially got to the range, so there is still some weird hangup somewhere that needs to be addressed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2022
    East Texas
    Meh, I still use LP oil on my Garands. M-Pro7 is a great modern day lube for full-auto machine guns, so it certainly will work nicely on much shorter cyclic firing rates out of an 8 round capacity firearm.

Top Bottom