• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lil'Joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Houston
    Looking for an M1 Garand Gunsmith in the Houston area

Rebarreling my Garand and looking for someone that can actually do the job and has actually done it before, a lot!

Any suggestions?
    DK Firearms

Wayne

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Copperas Cove
    Check out Warbirdscutomguns, Tim Strait. He's in Houston and rebarreled one of mine. Did a great job and the rifle shoots really well. Gotta be patient though, he's always loaded down with work.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    texasaggie2010:

Slam fires in the Garand usually happen because of (1) a high primer or (2) the firing pin not moving freely in the bolt and getting stuck so it protrudes when it shouldn't. You can check both those things yourself. You might check the tech pages at www.odcmp.com on how to remove and check the firing pin. If the ammo you used was commercial, then I would definitely look at the firing pin. If it was reloads, check to make sure the primers are seated properly.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    texasaggie2010:

. If the ammo you used was commercial, then I would definitely look at the firing pin. If it was reloads, check to make sure the primers are seated properly.

I agree. The Garands have a free-floating firing pin that can occasionally spark off a soft primer. And yes, I have seen it happen first hand.

Lil'Joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Houston
    Actually I waited until I traveled through NW Georgia and stopped to see a guy named Hook Boutin. Quite a gentleman! Spent three hours talking, listening to stories, and rebuilding my M1 Garand. Came away with a like new Garand that shoots sub moa with iron sights, a lot of stories and a good friend. Unfortunately I have not had the time to get back and see him since, but if you are ever in NW Georgia and get the opportunity, Hook is a national treasure.

criterionbarrels

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Looking for an M1 Garand Gunsmith in the Houston area

Rebarreling my Garand and looking for someone that can actually do the job and has actually done it before, a lot!

Any suggestions?

Normally I'd recommend Deans Gun Restoration, The CMP Custom Shop, Fulton Armory, Tony Giacobbe (The Garand Guy), Orion 7, or any of the other dealers on our website, but the closest M1 dealer we have to the Houston area is Warbird's Custom Guns in Crockett, TX.

http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/

As a sidebar, it's amazing the technology we have at our fingertips to find something through the internet. You posted to this forum, which I found through social media, and logged into a VPN to access our CRM and find a list of dealers in your area, which in turn forwarded me to the Warbirds website, which I linked in this post. All from my home office at 10:00 PM on a Thursday night. Isn't technology great?

-Josh

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I'll take Criterion being a part of our community, 6 year necro post be damned.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    6 or 7 years????

THE INTERNET REMEMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh joined several years ago (2014) and JUST NOW got around to the first post?? (posts 1)
    Maybe he typed the words in 2014 and it finally posted this long after?

I leave voicemail messages to people and they get them a day later!! (it could happen)

bob

Last edited:
    Top Bottom