• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've been wanting one for a while now? So has anyone bought one lately and from where. Also have found some barreled recievers , is it hard to get all the pieces together to build one?
    ARJ Defense ad

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Its just a reciever and barrel but I figured if I went that route I'd change the barrel anyway, but I've never had much experiance with an M1. I assume it wouldn't be too overly complicated to build one.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Something about a Garand rifle that just makes me very proud to be an American. Just think if every liberal was made to own one, could be a change even I would welcome

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I agree my main reason for wanting one is cause thats what my grandfather and greatuncle carried throughout WWII.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    To answer your question, the CMP sells M1s and barreled receivers. You can check out the requirements at [url]www.odcmp.com[/URL]. You will need to be a member of a CMP affilitated club like the TSRA or a veteran. You should also check out the CMP Forum at their website. Lots of good info on building a rifle. They are not the easiest to build since used parts can cause timing problems. The CMP also sells some pretty nice wood for them. I picked an M1 up at their North Store a couple of years ago. Their prices are better than you'll see at a gun show.

NewTxn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    In general I would recommend staying away from any new production Garand receiver. It's not that all of them are bad (although some are); but why bother with them when the real deal, drop-forged and machined USGI receivers are so easy to get nowadays. The USGI Garand receivers were made back when labor was much less expensive than it is now. Making a forged and machined receiver now is an expensive process. Just look at what it costs for a forged LRB M14 receiver. You're looking at about $950. Those $600 Service Grades from the CMP are a bargain. When they are gone a lot of us will be kicking ourselves for not buying one(more) when they were available.

Rugrash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I picked up a Garand from http://www.garandguy.com/ about a year or so ago. It had a brand new stock and a brand new citadel barrel chambered in .308 (since I didn't want another expensive caliber like 30-06). The serial number traced back to 1943. I think with a texas CHL and a membership to TSRA you can buy one from CMP and NOT have to shoot in any matches.

-Rug

Also picked up one of these adjustable gas systems:
    http://www.mccannindustries.com/scope/parts.html

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I totally agree with a previous post about original receivers. The last two Garands I had built, I selected the receivers and started from there. The cast receivers are great when made by a top manufacturer but why settle for less than the original when originals are still available?

That being said..........we need to talk about building Garands.

The Garand is a funny critter to build and I would caution you to tread carefully if you choose to go that way.

The days of plentiful, high quality Garand parts are gone. Some real junk is being dredged up and reworked then placed on the market for sale. You better know what you're doing!

The operating rods are specially bent and it's awfully easy to get screwed on one. The straighter that op rod is, the worse it is as a workable part! Bent correctly, that part is nothing short of weird! The small piston on the end is very critical and you must know how to spot a good one.

The gas cylinders are the same way. You better know what you're doing get a quality part.

Switching the barrels is a bit more complicated than just screwing one onto a receiver. The barrels are furnished "short chambered" so after a new one is installed, finish reaming needs to be done. Gotta have a reamer and you need to know what you're doing.

Head space is changed/adjusted by changing the bolt. To get these rifles head spaced, you need access to a number of bolts to mix & match until the head space is correct. To do that, you also need a set of head space gauges.

I was heavy into Garands and lived through exactly what I'm describing. Building a Garand is a tough deal today and most of the guys who were doing it, got out of the business.

If you have to build a rifle, the AR-15 is the way to go. You could get a truckload of quality parts by the end of the week! I'd rather have the Garand but getting stuck on building an M1 from parts is just too easy to do.

Flash

markas70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Austin
    Iv got an M1 ,and a few of the Austin guys have shot it at one of the group shoots we had. just had to say. Now only 7 more post till i can post in the forsale section

jkchan83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Definitely go with the CMP. The prices are nearly unbeatable and my experience is that you will get a rifle 2 quality levels higher than the 1 you ordered. I recently received a Korean era HRA rifle with a completely new stock.

When I ordered my Service-grade Springfield M1, I put a note on my order to hold for a WWII receiver. Well, I got a September 1943 receiver with an August 1943 barrel. Almost all Springfield parts, too. For $595.

The best part is getting guns shipped to your door. I always smile as the FedEx guy comes up the stairs with my new rifle.

Top Bottom