• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    So, broke out the M1 to share with a bunch of Scouts and Scout Leaders this past weekend. First person up runs a clip through with no issues. No other immediate takers, so the first person starts in on another clip. He gets to the 7th round (15th overall), and he feels the stock push out against his trigger hand and then a sharp pain. He thinks his finger is broken. All that happened is that his hand got pinched between the broken stock.

Broken stock you wonder. How does an M1 stock break while firing? Well, you live and learn ... we all lived (only casualty was the rifle) and learned that Turkish surplus is some bad juju (MKE headstamp).

Working with the CMP to get the rifle repaired. Here's some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

M1 - 01.jpg

M1 - 02.jpg

M1 - 03.jpg

M1 - 04.jpg

The culprit.

M1 - 07.jpg

M1 - 08.jpg

Only found 13 of the 14 cartridges that were fired before the split case. Here's what they look like.

M1 - 10.jpg

M1 - 09.jpg

M1 - 11.jpg

Anybody know if I can pull the bullets on the remaining cartridges add some new powder and have safe rounds to shoot?
    Military Camp

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    How’s the receiver and barrel look?
    To my untrained eye, the receiver and barrel look good. A high-power LED flashlight didn't uncover any cracks and using my barrel light didn't show anything wrong with the barrel. However, that's exactly why I'm shipping this rifle back to the CMP. I'm more than happy to pay the Pros from Dover to make sure everything is in spec before I fire another round.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    To my untrained eye, the receiver and barrel look good. A high-power LED flashlight didn't uncover any cracks and using my barrel light didn't show anything wrong with the barrel. However, that's exactly why I'm shipping this rifle back to the CMP. I'm more than happy to pay the Pros from Dover to make sure everything is in spec before I fire another round.
    This is probably the best course of action.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Dang it. Sure am glad no one was badly hurt. Now you have me thinking about the couple three thousand rounds of Greek surplus I haven’t fired a round from in a few years….geez…thanks.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A few guns I own (My M1 Garand among them) never have foreign surplus shot in them for exactly this reason......I have some 7.62X51 Pakistani that is outrageously hot.....

I would suspect at least a bent op rod.......

Glad no one was injured.....

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I was never a motor head, but have often equated the firing of a gun to some on pushing a motor on the quarter mile. Either way when a gun or motor lets go, its something spectacular.

I remember watching a buddies M-2 carbine bolt disintegrate, while on full auto. He tore it apart inspected it then replace the bolt & got back after it. It aint always the ammo.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    Lots of research to do and plenty of time to do it. Got ahold of the CMP today and I'm on the waiting list for their Custom Shop. According to Miss Tiffany, it will be 6 months before I can expect my number to be called.

I have one lead on an alternate M1 gunsmith. Any other leads on quality M1 gunsmiths are greatly appreciated.

Before I put another round through this rifle it will need to be completely torn down and inspected front to back and top to bottom ... every component will need to be in spec or replaced with a component that is in spec.

The ammo issue is beginning to look pretty dim. Given what's noted on the CMP forums, I may have some real crap ammo with this MKE 65.

Anybody know about MKE 78? That's the other lot that I purchased.

Top Bottom