M16*

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
Growing up looking at photos of my dad from Vietnam, and playing with the old school GI Joe, I couldn’t wait to grow up and join the army so I could carry an M16. Well when I turned 17 and went and talked to the recruiter, my dad had a fit! He was pretty insistent on me going to college. So I watched my friend join up and get shipped off to Germany, and I stayed in Texas and drank for a couple years in San Marcos while going to a class or two every once in a while, and ended up not finishing college! But I’m damn near 50 now and I finally got some thing close to an M16! Gonna have to replace the buffer spring though. The one that came with that stock, sounds like a 300 lb man sitting down on an old couch every time I fire it!
ca64f91aff704bf3a6bfaf813f120840.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
Don't change the spring. That sound is genuine M16 from Vietnam era.. The saying was, "Made by Mattel, It's Swell". Change it you have just another AR.

Sounds just like the dart guns made by Mattel.

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
Don't change the spring. That sound is genuine M16 from Vietnam era.. The saying was, "Made by Mattel, It's Swell". Change it you have just another AR.

Sounds just like the dart guns made by Mattel.
That’s exactly what it sounds like! I couldn’t put my finger on the sound, but now that you mention it, it sounds like a “side charging” dart gun! I’ve put together several AR’s, and they all have the fancy free float hand guards and high tech magpul furniture. On this one, I just used my stock Ruger AR556, and added the carry handle and stock, and now I think it’s the coolest looking rifle I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
I remember being a kid in the 80’s, being obsessed with firearms and hearing how unreliable/problematic the M16’s were in Vietnam.

What changed to make them into the uber-reliable guns we have today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kar98

TGT Addict
Aug 8, 2016
DFW
The problems with the OG M16 had several causes:

No cleaning kits were available for issue, so soldiers were told they are self cleaning rifles.

And for some reason or another, the propellant was changed to a dirty burning one other than specified.

These two things together made them jammomatics in the jungle environment.

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
TGT Supporter
Jan 22, 2013
San Marcos
I remember being a kid in the 80’s, being obsessed with firearms and hearing how unreliable/problematic the M16’s were in Vietnam.

What changed to make them into the uber-reliable guns we have today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Several things. The ammo initially wasn't loaded with the same powders during testing.

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
The problems with the OG M16 had several causes:

No cleaning kits were available for issue, so soldiers were told they are self cleaning rifles.

And for some reason or another, the propellant was changed to a dirty burning one other than specified.

These two things together made them jammomatics in the jungle environment.
Combine self-cleaning with guns that “don’t require lubrication” and we could be on to something!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members