• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockmeister

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have been thinking of buying an M1a, does anyone have any feedback on them? What should I look for in buying one? I'm wanting to use it for longer range target shooting.
    Hurley's Gold

texaspartsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    The older M1A you can find, the better.
    When the government canned the M1's they cut up all the recievers and let the salvagers buy up all the parts. M1's were built back when the army had to budget to get the best money could buy. It is cost prohibitive to reproduce some of the parts the way they were originally made. The operating rods were hot forged. Barrels were chrome lined and them tested. Out of spec barrels were discarded.
    The older civilian M1A's were built using the best pick of the original GI parts. As GI part supplies have run out builders have had to start using non milspec parts. The best guns where made in Devine Texas back before the current Springfield Armory bought them out. These preban guns shoot great and were hand assembled using all GI parts on a semi-auto reciver. Scott Duff has a great book on the M1A that will tell you how to spot non GI parts. You definitley want a gun with the origianl GI operating rod. It is a critical part that gets a lot of abuse. Go for an original preban gun if you can find one. I hear good things about Fulton Armory rifles but have ever fired one. I have a post ban Springfield with a NM barrel (Springfield for not and original military or chrome lined bore) that shoots great. Op rod is GI along with the trigger and hammer. I didn't like the oversized NM stock and put an original GI one on it. I got lucky and it was all GI parts but the barrel and stock.
    I hear lots of stories about the later Springfields not holding up if they are shot a lot. Operating rods bending or braking are the biggest complaint. Sometimes after only a few rounds. You can still find operating rods new in the wrapper for on several of the auction sites but expect to shell out $250-350 on one though.
    That all being said, the M1A is a fun and accurate rifle to shoot. I like it better than my AR-10 and on par with my SAR-8 (Hk-91).

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I'm weak on these

I've had some neat semi auto 308 rifles but my recent Springfield M1a standard model is my favorite. I love the wood stock, handling, and it's easy to shoot.

I've update the spring guide/operating rod and gas piston with Sadlak units. The gas cylinder has been replaced with the springfield welded unit. She shoots better than me and I'm always happy when I get to the range with her.

Chris

plexreticle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I've never met a person that owned and M1A and didn't like it.

I agree with texaspartsman. If you can find and older one made of milsurp parts you'll find the quality to be much better than the newer ones.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    They are surprisingly accurate and yes, I would not sell mine. Literally, my Supermatch will be one if not the last gun I ever part with.

sm_targets2.jpg

Here is my Super at 100 yards, 50 shots off the bench.

nm_target.jpg

This is the National at 100 yrds, 50 shots off the bench.

They are good guns, accurate, reliable, fun to shoot, easy to reload for and very distinctive. I doubt you will not love one. At one time I had around 6 or 8 but paired back to these two as my safe got full.

Glockmeister

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I think their pricing is abit more than my budget. Thanks though.

I was thinking of a Springfield M1a Loaded, or something near that range.

Will it be that much less reliable? There's a $1000 difference.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    I used to collect M1A's. While it is really hard to make a good comparison, the loadeds are likely "more reliable" because they are slightly looser then the match guns. You can feel it when you handle one.

I don't remember many jams with my match guns after I got my reloads tweaked, so it is hard to say which is really more reliable.

I found the match guns go about an 1 to 2" better at 100 yrds then the loadeds on a 50 shot group.

R

RPersi

M1A

I bought my M1A back in 1978, it took a year for Springfield to get it to me. It is a great rifle, it came with a national match barrel and has always been a great shooter.

navajo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    bulverde
    M1A

Over the years I have owned seven M1As. Still have my first one and will be buried with it. Paid $485.00 NIB so I have had it for a while.

None of the seven even malfunctioned. Ever. hand loads, factory or surplus, not one malfunction.

Can't say that about another much worshipped .308 semi. NIB, 250 rounds, lots of tweaking and it still won't go through a mag without a hiccup.

33shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    I have a Springfield Scout Squad that I absolutely love!! I have about 400 rounds down the pipe and it has been flawless minus one round, but it was ammo related and not gun. I personally wouldn't hesitate on a Springer, they have a wonderful warranty and are fun as hell to shoot. I personally think it is a must for ANY collection.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    The M1A was definitely one of my must have "forever" in my collection. I needed to have at least one at all times. It's a classic and the feel of the rifle action going as you pull the trigger is like no other. Every person I let shoot my M1A automatically falls in love with it and hates me for putting the M1 bug in them.

I currently only have a Springfield M1A loaded, but contemplating purchasing a M1A Socom 16 to put it in a JAE-100 stock.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/364/jae100da4.jpg

Just not sure I want to do that to a classic... :confused:

Trap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    DFW metromess (YUK!)
    I have been thinking of buying an M1a, does anyone have any feedback on them? What should I look for in buying one? I'm wanting to use it for longer range target shooting.

I just purchased a "Standard" walnut a few months ago. Complete USGI trigger group, "F" series bolt (forged), USGI gas cylinder, the rest appears SA Inc.

VERY nice shooter, accurate, reliable.

I could not be happier with it.

I like wood with my iron.

Cheap?

No.

Worth it.

Oh yea.

In fact, I'm buying another this weekend.

:D

Trap.

Trap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    DFW metromess (YUK!)
    And let me add that the build date on my "Standard" M1A was documented as May 2008...

Which seems to counter internet claims that SA Inc. is out of USGI components...

Trap

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    The whole M1 series are a dream to shoot. I purchased my SA M1A Loaded about 3 years ago and never had any issues with it and just recently purchased a SA M1 Garand in .308cal to match up with it.

Top Bottom