• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Unfortunately, I don't have either. Lol. However, I am considering them lately. At one point I was even thinking about a PTR 91 but there were too many cons. Now I know the AR-10 is more customizable but something about the M1A really appeals to me.

After seeing my buddies AR10t in action, I am intrigued. I will only buy 1 and fully expect to put a good scope on it and work with it in the 100-300 yard range. Probably mostly from the bench or prone with bipod. If anyone out there with either or both could chime in, I'd appreciate it.
    Texas SOT

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I own both, agree with the above statement......for nostalgia reasons only I prefer the M1A...both fine rifles.....and both can be effectively accurate at the ranges you want to shoot......scopes on M1A's sit high, very high.........

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have an HK 91 which I love but hardly ever shoot. I used to have an M1A, but sold it to a buddy that wanted it really bad. My go to rifle is an AR-10 for all the same reasons that people like AR-15’s. I just happen to prefer 308 over 5.56.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Always thought the M1A was cool. When it was time to buy a "battle rifle", I went the AR10 route. Not really the customizing sort. So trigger, optic and bipod is as far as I went. Mine is a lower end model so it's likely not as inherently accurate as an off the shelf M1A, but its a machine to 300 yards and I haven't tested it beyond. If you're familiar at all with the AR-15 and like it, you'll love the AR-10.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Didn’t we do this exact thread not long ago?

I have both.

I love my SOCOM 16, it’s fun to shoot and the sound of the bolt going home is better than an AR. Having said that, the AR is a better weapon. Much more modular and all around a better weapon. Garage Thumb has a great comparison video, the AR is the winner and I believe that was an accurized M1A.

Buy the AR now and when you can afford it, the M1A.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a few ar-15s already but I've gone full circle from lightweights to bench guns and still prefer an armalite carbine w eotech for cqb or an 18" White Oak spr for precision. I've gone from 24" to 14.5" and these two are always first picks. So the platform is already very familiar to me. Considering that the ar-10 is the logical pick and leaves more room for customization too.

I guess the nostalgia of the M1A was weighing heavy on me. With an ar-10 I'm certain I could confidently swap a barrel or build one to suit. An M1A would be foreign to me although I'm generally confident with mechanical things as I do fix cars for a living. I'm sure the M1As accuracy and build quality justify the pricetag. However, if I want to enjoy a classic rifleman's gun I can always get out the garand . I guess I'll be on the lookout for an AR-10...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    At one point I was even thinking about a PTR 91 but there were too many cons. Now I know the AR-10 is more customizable but something about the M1A really appeals to me.
    I have all three... The only real con of the PTR is it fucks up brass. Best thing about the PTR is you'll never have a failure to eject. Thing is dead reliable even with the shittiest of ammo.

The AR10 is the better all around rifle. Lighter, more precise... Can be cheaper or more expensive depending on what you want.

Didn’t we do this exact thread not long ago?
    lol yeah we did

I guess the nostalgia of the M1A was weighing heavy on me.
    Get a vintage wood stock for an M1A. You'll love it.
    12262830543_c70510d782_b.jpg

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Ar 10 for practicality. Skip the SAI product and get a JRA/Bula gun for a decent M14 copy, or do the wise thing, and get an M1 Garand

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have an HK 91 which I love but hardly ever shoot. I used to have an M1A, but sold it to a buddy that wanted it really bad. My go to rifle is an AR-10 for all the same reasons that people like AR-15’s. I just happen to prefer 308 over 5.56.

And.... With an AR10 you can have different calibers just by pinning a different upper. I have a 6.5CM upper on my AR10, and love it. But will likely buy a 308 upper soon.

FYI, Ground Zero Precision built my 6.5CM upper, and they did a great job with high quality parts. I honestly could not be happier with it. If you call them up they can suggest parts to make it a build you are happy with. FYI, they used Aero Precision upper to match my lower I had built.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom