• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    In the FWIW dept. I have a CETME, with iron sights my son shoots MOA groups at 100 yds. A friend bought a Socom 16 and added bells and whistles including a scope, bipod etc. He bought 6-7 different boxes of factory ammo to find out what it liked. None of the above, best was around 2 MOA, buckshot pattern. Thinking it might be him and not the gun he fired a few rounds thru my 6.5CM Howa and grouped sub moa. I've been wanting an AR-10 just for grins.
    Venture Surplus ad

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    This cost about half of my M1A.
    20" AR10 weighs about the same or maybe less than the 16" M1A.
    Same reliability, serviceability, and controls as an AR15.
    It's more precise than I can shoot...

44964898815_abfbe77022_b.jpg
    Ehh how much did you spend on your M1A? I doubt I could get that for half of what mine cost.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Seems like the AR10 platform is also less finicky about stock length too. Most of the 18 and 20 inch guns I've seen are running adjustable stocks. None of my midlength gassed ARs will run on a carbine lower. They always short stroke on me. I had one BA barrel that I had to put on a rifle lower that still needed the gas port opened up to run right.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Oh I know. I spent $1600 on one a few years ago. But I don't see how I could get an AR-10 with a decent barrel and nice optics for half that. But I'm open to suggestions!

Heres the thing, a good ar10 isn't cheap, but you don't need a good ar10 to get something that'll shoot circles around even a NM M1A.

The AR10 is just simply a superior design

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Oh I know. I spent $1600 on one a few years ago. But I don't see how I could get an AR-10 with a decent barrel and nice optics for half that. But I'm open to suggestions!
    That's not really a nice optic :laughing:
    The rifle was pieced together from parts when they were on sale.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    You probably don't shoot it much Dan. Now might be a good time to sell to a fellow tgt member in need. Hahaha.

Now the question is armalite or dpms style. I looked at some diamond backs earlier and the look like they run a dpms barrel extension but I can't tell if it's an armalite angle cut or round one for the receivers.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You probably don't shoot it much Dan. Now might be a good time to sell to a fellow tgt member in need. Hahaha.

Now the question is armalite or dpms style. I looked at some diamond backs earlier and the look like they run a dpms barrel extension but I can't tell if it's an armalite angle cut or round one for the receivers.
    My DPMS LR308 has killed hundreds of deer and pigs at the taxpayer’s expense. Mine is a pre-Freedom Group gun so maybe that is why it has been flawless.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I have a 86 vintage springfield reciever built and bedded with all national match and GI parts. Shoots lights out with irons. I qualified at a KD shoot out to 400yds. For a iron sight shoot it will always be my goto.

Once i am done with my bolt excursion, I will do a presision semi.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    I bought my first MSR about 7-8 years ago and it was a DPMS LR-308. Having carried an M16A2 back in the Corps, everything was familiar to me, only much bigger. I enjoy shooting it. I do have a scope on it, but for nostalgic reasons, I will shoot it iron sights sometimes.

I have since built a second upper in 6.5CM using an Aero Precision M5. I don’t know about you guys, but while the idea of interchangeable uppers sounds great, I am not sure how much longer I will go without buying another lower. It is just something about whole rifles. :)

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I bought my first MSR about 7-8 years ago and it was a DPMS LR-308. Having carried an M16A2 back in the Corps, everything was familiar to me, only much bigger. I enjoy shooting it. I do have a scope on it, but for nostalgic reasons, I will shoot it iron sights sometimes.

I have since built a second upper in 6.5CM using an Aero Precision M5. I don’t know about you guys, but while the idea of interchangeable uppers sounds great, I am not sure how much longer I will go without buying another lower. It is just something about whole rifles. :)
    When I bought my M16A2 I started buying different types of uppers. I all ready owned a .300 Whisper & LMT piston AR. It got to the point that the different uppers were hard to manage in the safe. No every upper is on a lower for a couple gun. Of all those different guns most are on unfired lowers.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

I agree about the whole rifles. Flexibility is nice, but how many of us are going to be in a position where we have to economize on weight at the level of leaving out a lower, but we'd want to hump loads of two different calibers and wouldn't get much use out of having a second complete rifle ready to go? Having the parts to interchange in case one breaks is nice in a SHTF scenario though.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I thought about having spare parts, and then decided to just follow the edict: 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I have multiple weapons in every caliber, though not necessarily the same weapon.
    With the intent of my descendants for many generations having my guns, I bought identical multiples. Years from now, if a part breaks, take the same part off another gun, reverse engineer and machine a duplicate if replacement parts can no longer be had.

Top Bottom