• ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I prefer the M1 over the M1A.
    I trained with the M1A while in Basic Training at Fort Bliss in 1968. Something about carrying that heavy SOB all over the desert kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm for the rifle.
    My CMP M1 is more accurate too.

txchl33

.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>Rev 4:1
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Abilene, TX
    Unfortunately, I don't have either. Lol. However, I am considering them lately. At one point I was even thinking about a PTR 91 but there were too many cons. Now I know the AR-10 is more customizable but something about the M1A really appeals to me.

After seeing my buddies AR10t in action, I am intrigued. I will only buy 1 and fully expect to put a good scope on it and work with it in the 100-300 yard range. Probably mostly from the bench or prone with bipod. If anyone out there with either or both could chime in, I'd appreciate it.
    Owned a CMP Special n .06. Beautiful fine smooth weapon. Kick my self every time (ouch) I think or write about it.
    I’ve built/own several Ar10 308 & 6.5 CM. When I say built I mean from 80% to zeroed. Both platforms are fine implements.
    you can’t go wrong with either.
    probably not much help but my 2 cents.

Niemand Besonderes

Nobody Special
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Williamson County
    c7 048.jpg

For purely nostalgic reasons I'd rather have an M1A.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I think I'll be putting mine M1A up for sale after this latest crap passes, unless I drown or electrocute myself! Or administer a fatal self-inflicted ass kicking for selling my two Socom rifles!

Watch the sales forum.

Niemand Besonderes

Nobody Special
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Williamson County
    It was actually a Louisiana N.G. unit. The 256th BCT. I was part of the Texas 141st INF out of San Antonio back in '04 when Louisiana was asking around for volunteers to go along with them. There were seven of us from my platoon that jumped ship to deploy with them. Turned out that we were attached to 1st CAV (which was where I did my active duty hitch, C-1/5 CAV Hooah!) so I was finally authorized to sew the patch on the right side.
    That was good times. I'm glad it's over, but I miss it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had a full match M1A that was a beautiful work of art. The only option the rifle didn't have was the rear lug. I wasn't pleased with the accuracy, so it went to a new home. Actually, I could outshoot that rifle with a good AR-15 at 200 and 600 yards.

I worked in a Gun Shop that specialized in custom rifles. We did a lot of work with AR-10's in a wild variety of calibers. What bothered me about the AR-10 was that it isn't MIL Spec. Parts ordered for it may or may not fit. Uppers and lowers definitely didn't interchange. The best plan was to buy uppers and lowers from the same source. You had a chance, then.

The most fun was in modifying the AR-15. Because it was Mil Spec, most items were drop in fit. There are SO many options in the AR-15 platform! We shot .300 Blackout, 7.62x39, 5.56, .375 Socom, .458 Socom, and lots of others. My favorite was the .458 Socom shoulder cannon! There are so many options in the AR-15 platform. That's my choice!

Detractors of the .458 Socom speak about $2 per round ammo. Using 300 grain 45-70 bullets and reusing the brass, it loads for about 50-60 cents per round. Not bad for a shoulder cannon!

Flash

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    The one thing I prefer with my M1A v.s. the ar15 - ar10 platform is the sight radius. When dialed in prone with my NM M1A the front blade is but a sliver off in the distance. When I do a bunch of shooting with it it feels really good with slow fire prone, easy 4 or 500 yard shots. When I get behind a ar15 or ar10 with irons it feels like the front sight is right in front of my eye and the size of my thumb.

I have never shot an M1A with a scope. I would venture to bet the AR platform would accell in rapid fashion in that use. Irons only, M1A all day.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Having seen long-range matches shooting iron sighted M1A's, I've got a feelin' that if both were scoped, that M1A would show the AR some new tricks.

Lol. No, it wouldn't. You know what all it takes to get an M14/M1A to shoot groups even aproaching a rack grade AR15?

The ar is a far superior platfor to mount an optic, has a far more consistent bolt lock up, and the AR doesnt loose its zero as easily or as often as the M1A will

Ask any hi power shooter how many M1a's you need to shoot a match, you need 3, one to practice with, one to use in the match, and one more back at the smith getting completely rebuilt

JoeAmerica

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2020
    Texas
    Correct me if i’m wrong, The M1A had the shortest service life of any Primary US military rifle.

Both M1A and Ar10 have peep sights. And use .308. But that’s the end of their similarity’s.

M1A looks wicked. It is inherently “standardized” It kicks like mule, good luck mounting an optic that keeps Zero. Wood stock? That’s cool. Standard Buttock storage, cool. All metal? That’s good too. Drop it, get one scratch, have a heart attack at the gun range.

M1A CAN be “accuratized” For the cost of about 2 AR10’s. If you end up not liking it, you won’t get anything close to what you put into it. Did I mention blemishes?

Gas piston operation is Flintstone technology compared to direct gas impingement. Less parts, less weight,
    less reciprocating mass= less recoil, less pain, less flinch, more accurate. Buffer weight technology is superior for controlling recoil as well.

Ar10’s are like legos, many may say “not everything is interchangeable“ that was the early days, now that the Military is going Ar110 for “sniping,” the AR10 platform is getting very close to “milspec”. It’s hard to find “Aw10” or early bushmaster AR10 receiver stuff anyway. As long as it’s AR308M5 you are good to go. Ar15 trigger parts drop in Ar10. Plus, the lower can be used with the AR12 platform that will become popular very soon. So it’s a two for one.

A word of caution. DO NOT MIX Ar10 upper receivers with mismatched BCG’s. Go with ONE manufacturer or you might get cycling problems. Also use only Rifle length buffers and rifle buffer parts, For the same reason. So the M1A has inherent “milspec” standardization over the AR10. Cool.

I’ve owned both. The AR10 is superior in almost every way.

It’s like comparing a Porsche vs Toyota. You are paying for prestige.

If there are some things I over looked, I would be happy to hear them.

That’s my 99 cents.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Correct me if i’m wrong, The M1A had the shortest service life of any Primary US military rifle.

Both M1A and Ar10 have peep sights. And use .308. But that’s the end of their similarity’s.

M1A looks wicked. It is inherently “standardized” It kicks like mule, good luck mounting an optic that keeps Zero. Wood stock? That’s cool. Standard Buttock storage, cool. All metal? That’s good too. Drop it, get one scratch, have a heart attack at the gun range.

M1A CAN be “accuratized” For the cost of about 2 AR10’s. If you end up not liking it, you won’t get anything close to what you put into it. Did I mention blemishes?

Gas piston operation is Flintstone technology compared to direct gas impingement. Less parts, less weight,
    less reciprocating mass= less recoil, less pain, less flinch, more accurate. Buffer weight technology is superior for controlling recoil as well.

Ar10’s are like legos, many may say “not everything is interchangeable“ that was the early days, now that the Military is going Ar110 for “sniping,” the AR10 platform is getting very close to “milspec”. It’s hard to find “Aw10” or early bushmaster AR10 receiver stuff anyway. As long as it’s AR308M5 you are good to go. Ar15 trigger parts drop in Ar10. Plus, the lower can be used with the AR12 platform that will become popular very soon. So it’s a two for one.

A word of caution. DO NOT MIX Ar10 upper receivers with mismatched BCG’s. Go with ONE manufacturer or you might get cycling problems. Also use only Rifle length buffers and rifle buffer parts, For the same reason. So the M1A has inherent “milspec” standardization over the AR10. Cool.

I’ve owned both. The AR10 is superior in almost every way.

It’s like comparing a Porsche vs Toyota. You are paying for prestige.

If there are some things I over looked, I would be happy to hear them.

That’s my 99 cents.

Actually it was the M14, that was the standard service rifle for about six or seven years, in between the M1 Garand, and the M16.

The M1A was the semi-auto civilian version of the M14 rifle. The M14 is still used by the United States Army and Marine Corps for some specialized applications, as well as some in the Coast Guard.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    The AR platform is more customizable for sure. Will be easier to find parts and set up a scope on it. I served in the Army starting in 1997, so the AR platform is what I know best. However, when it comes to 7.62, I choose the M1A rifle. I just love the way it shoots. The AR10 platform when it was first getting popular had reliablity issues as well, so I did dot get into it. However, they are good to go these days from what I have seen. I would consider getting one for sure. I have a Socom16 and love it.

9kNE6b3.jpg

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well I finally pulled the trigger and recently bought a diamondback DB 10. Stainless 18" barrel, m lok rail, decent brake, cmc trigger, magpul furniture, delivered for $1100. While I really would have liked an Armalite, they've dried up or blown up in price. So this will have to do. If I can get a 5 shot moa group I'll be delighted.

I plan on topping it with a burris veracity 5-15x FFP scope or a Leupold 4-12x ar mod 1. Either way, the glass shouldn't be the limiting factor in it's accuracy. It will inevitably get a diet of 168 and 175gr smks as well as some ppu match in the same weights.

I hope to put some groups on paper in 2 weeks or so and then I'll dial up some reloads for it after deer season. It's my first and only AR 10, if it performs as good as it looks I think I'll be happy.

Top Bottom