APOD Firearms

M1D Garand and Lee Enfield. Rare and fun!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    So we were at the range today shooting. One of my former students brought his grandfather's Lee Enfield from WW1 with the british imperial stamp on it. First.. Wow 303 is expensive. Second it kicks like a mule!

A nice man sat next to us on the right and had a garand. He asked about the Enfield and then we asked about his Garand. He got it up in Wisconsin for 3000 bucks. It was a WW2 M1D sniper Garand, super rare and in SUPER good condition with all original parts. he said he had priced them down here in Texas and the cheapest he could find was 6000 bucks and in worse condition than his. Well he was NICE ENOUGH to let myself, my teacher friend, and 3 of our former students SHOOT it.. holy crap what a beautiful and fun gun.

Then we let him shoot the Enfield. After talking to the guy he owns a trucking company but is a retired Navy medic. I think Marines refer to them as corpsmen. Super cool guy. Once in a lifetime opportunities today.

18738735_1767641036584921_6955104522014553042_o.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I didn't know they came with brakes on them.

The upside down stamp is cool to see though. Did you notice it?

Hmm I looked at the stamp I didn't think it was upside down. They DO come with brakes... the D model comes with a brake but that is not the one it comes with, that brake was on there to compensate for the recoil, he had the original brake and it looks like a funnel. He had mentioned they stole the idea from the germans MG42

Berthier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Hmm I looked at the stamp I didn't think it was upside down. They DO come with brakes... the D model comes with a brake but that is not the one it comes with, that brake was on there to compensate for the recoil, he had the original brake and it looks like a funnel. He had mentioned they stole the idea from the germans MG42

07d47b2227f592e9e53bbfe1fea7c0da1192205fb254416b66b1a80d0c25620f.jpg

The MG42's muzzle cone is a recoil booster. The muzzle cone for the M1D is just a flash hider. You wouldn't want a recoil booster on a semi-auto. It's pretty clear that it's not an M1D, or if it is it's no where near "WWII correct." Just look at the scope. I don't even see the lockbar rear sights that a WWII M1 would have either.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    View attachment 42290

The MG42's muzzle cone is a recoil booster. The muzzle cone for the M1D is just a flash hider. You wouldn't want a recoil booster on a semi-auto. It's pretty clear that it's not an M1D, or if it is it's no where near "WWII correct." Just look at the scope. I don't even see the lockbar rear sights that a WWII M1 would have either.

Ok, Sure, I will take your word for it. You would know more than I would. I was born in 1981 and have only seen 2 garands in my life. A beat up one that was Korean surplus and that one.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Garand rifles were a favorite of mine and I had the pleasure of owning a bunch of them. I never worried about a Garand being "correct." They were build like Chicago Taxi Cabs and were arsenal rebuilt with Heaven knows what parts during their service lifetime. They were never intended to be all IH, Winchester or Springfield.

Flash

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Just finished going over a Chicago Taxi Cab M1D and thought of this thread! May 1945 Winchester, arsenal converted in 1952. The cheek pad is a reproduction, but the rest of the rifle is correct...for a M1D. Not much matches by manufacturer, but it is a as-issued D variant.

Attachments

• Guns_M1D_Winchester_1_14Jul17.jpg
      Guns_M1D_Winchester_1_14Jul17.jpg
      72.3 KB · Views: 112

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a 303 from 1944 I think. Its not been sporterized, and has wood to the end of the barrel. With the heavy wood, it doesn't kick that bad.

Downhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Baird Texas
    If I remember correctly the M1C had a cone flash hider and the M1D had a fork type flash suppressor. Been competing with Garands for 24yrs. Cool old warhorse.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom