• Status
    Not open for further replies.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    So, I'm wondering about the advantages of each when compared to the other. I don't want to start a 'XYZ is better' thread. I'm just wondering about actual advantages. It's for my mom, I've always used a pc, she'll just Google, email, and download pics from her camera.

The reason I bring this up is that every week I get a phone call from her asking how to do something to her computer. Or whether it's safe to install a program or let it run because the installer window has popped up. She isn't very good with updates, though they are set to download automatically. She has a lot of trouble with computers.

To start I heard that Mac: 1. doesn't need near the number of updates. 2. Is more user friendly for those 'less' familiar with computers. 3. Is less susceptible to viruses.

Microsoft, 1. Is more prevalent in the marketplace. 2. Is compatible with more programs. 3. I can usually talk her through issues because I'm familiar with the OS.
    DK Firearms

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    google, email, and pictures...I would get her a Mac.

I am a PC user myself and had my cousins MacBook for about a month and although I am fine with PC, Macs are a bit more user friendly for those who are not familiar with computers.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I haven't used a mac in years, but remember them to be user friendly

PC's i'm much more familiar with, as for virus suseptability is in my opinion because there are much more PC's out there than MAC's, therefore more attacks and more publicity about them.

From what I remember about MAC's i like both. I use PC's more and therefore I am more comfortable. As for DL'n updates, you could set up a bookmark for the update page and she could go there to do it vs the auto updates. Though I think auto update is fine also. hope this helps a little

bonehead1185

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos/Lake Dallas, Tx
    Personally, I would recommend a Mac if cost is not too much of an issue. I have a Mac desktop with the OS X operating system and love it. Having used PCs for most of my life and dealing with all of the issues that come with them I am so glad that I got a Mac. As far as viruses, they hardly happen because like said before they are not the main target since there are more PCs to infect. The only other thing is getting used to where some things are located on the Mac coming from a PC. My updates are automatic and just pop up the window telling me it needs to restart to load them in. Overall the Mac is a simple machine to use for basic tasks as well as some more advanced tasks if need be.

The one really good thing is that there is a program called VMware Fusion that I use which allows me to run Windows XP at the same time. When I have to download pictures off my camera I have to use the Windows program but I have it set to automatically put it on my Mac desktop. Also, with this program you can still use programs that are only compatible with Windows. The only thing would be that you need an anti-virus for the Windows if you plan on accessing the internet through it. When I updated the program it gave me a free one-year subscription for McAfee.

The other thing I like about my Mac is that is has bluetooth capabilities so I can transfer things between my Mac and my phone. Hope this is not too much info and maybe can help you decide!

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    PC works with the pc/online games I play, Office, and replacement/upgrade parts are very easy to find. Since I'm caveman, I wouldn't consider a Mac any time in the future.

Constant updates don't bother me any more.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I have very little experience with macs. I personally would go with PC for that reason. If you know PC and can explain PC to her, that's what you want. IT's a huge PITA to try and help someone through a problem when you aren't sure about it.

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    My inlaws got a mac, and they aren't computer people. Now they call me up all the time when they need something done, cause they don't know how to figure it out. They were fine with their pc, but their daughter and son-in-law talked them into a mac. It was a big waste IMO.

Bottom line, if she is at least familiar with a pc, then stick with it. With a mac you would probably be getting twice as many phone calls on how to do stuff, especially if she already doesn't know anything about computers.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Yeah, I'm just wondering if I can dramatically reduce the number of 'my computers messed up, when are you coming to see us' calls. I love my parents, but they waited several weeks to use their computer because they wanted me to install the AV program.

Me, I'm a pc guy because I'm pretty good with them. I'm just wondering if a Mac might be better for them. Cost isn't a factor, because I'm not paying for it.

So, adding to my list:
    To start I heard that Mac: 1. doesn't need near the number of updates. 2. Is more user friendly for those 'less' familiar with computers. 3. Is less susceptible to viruses. 4. Can still use Microsoft programs if needed (with proper software)

Microsoft, 1. Is more prevalent in the marketplace. 2. Is compatible with more programs. 3. I can usually talk her through issues because I'm familiar with the OS. 4. costs less

Okay, most Macs seem a little less 'robust' when looking at the specs (processor speed & amount of memory). Do they perform as well, worse, or better as a comparable pc with the same specs? I heard they can do more with less.....but that may have been sales talk (the salesman said the Mac OS requires less than 20% of what Vista needs just to operate).

You guys are being very helpful.

progress.gif

bonehead1185

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos/Lake Dallas, Tx
    Yeah, I'm just wondering if I can dramatically reduce the number of 'my computers messed up, when are you coming to see us' calls. I love my parents, but they waited several weeks to use their computer because they wanted me to install the AV program.

Me, I'm a pc guy because I'm pretty good with them. I'm just wondering if a Mac might be better for them. Cost isn't a factor, because I'm not paying for it.

So, adding to my list:
    To start I heard that Mac: 1. doesn't need near the number of updates. 2. Is more user friendly for those 'less' familiar with computers. 3. Is less susceptible to viruses. 4. Can still use Microsoft programs if needed (with proper software)

Microsoft, 1. Is more prevalent in the marketplace. 2. Is compatible with more programs. 3. I can usually talk her through issues because I'm familiar with the OS. 4. costs less

Okay, most Macs seem a little less 'robust' when looking at the specs (processor speed & amount of memory). Do they perform as well, worse, or better as a comparable pc with the same specs? I heard they can do more with less.....but that may have been sales talk (the salesman said the Mac OS requires less than 20% of what Vista needs just to operate).

I'm not a computer professional but based on my experience between the two the Mac outperforms. I have had mine for a little over a year now and have not had a single issue with it. Compared to my girlfriend's windows laptop that kept having problems almost every month. Mine is a desktop version, which is nice because everything is built into the monitor and the memory is still accessible if I want to upgrade, with a 2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of ram and a 300 GB hard drive. With this setup I am able to run several programs all at once plus Windows XP with no lags. The main thing is I don't have to worry about the memory usage of an antivirus program so that helps. Not too sure how a PC with these same specs would handle everything that I run sometimes.

One thing you could do is search youtube for "imac stress test" and there are a few videos showing the power of the Mac. There is also this video that kind of gives you some basic comparisons between the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwPbFE20msA&feature=fvwYouTube - PC World Video: Leopard VS Vista

Hope that helps!

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    MAc can be really user friendly AFTER YOU FIGURE THEM OUT. I recently bought one and I must say that coming from a PC my whole life it was like learning to ride a bike all over again. Less problems and fine script to put up with. But Mac also has video tutorials on their site that taught me everything. A mac would be great for her. But she will most deifnatly need to watch the vids....oh and one more thing. My brand new dell printer is not compatible with my new mac. carefully research what accessories you buy for a mac, it stings when ya spend money only to find out its useless for your mac.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Why bother spending the extra money on a Mac when all they are going to do is simple usage? You can build a PC that will do 99% of what they want for well under $500. You don't need a blazing fast machine to surf the internet, download pictures, burn CDs, and do spreadsheets.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    It's the 'I need help with my computer' calls that I get with them having a pc. They have a decent pc, but I still get a lot of calls. She's called Microsoft, Norton, & had GeekSquad out a couple of times. The computer seems to be a mysterious thing for my mom. I'm trying to figure out if a Mac will be easier to use.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I wasn't going to say it ... but here it is ... Tell your dad Microsoft is a man's computer. You have to keep it tuned up, fiddle around with it, and sometimes fix it. If you want zero problems, they make a girl version called Apple.

If that doesn't fix him, I don't know what will.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's the 'I need help with my computer' calls that I get with them having a pc. They have a decent pc, but I still get a lot of calls. She's called Microsoft, Norton, & had GeekSquad out a couple of times. The computer seems to be a mysterious thing for my mom. I'm trying to figure out if a Mac will be easier to use.

I don't think a Mac is going to fix anything. The user interface appears easier, but my Grandmother had trouble with her Mac moreso than the PC she has now.

You could always take them to go look at the Macs and see if they like the interface better.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I use Ubuntu Linux, easy and free. I despise M$, although fixing it does pay well - I'm working as a tech again, and I *know* I have job security LOL
    As for Macs, if you can afford one, buy one, and don't look back. The hardware and software are better than what you get on M$ machines.

Eli

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Some people are just 'needier' than others when it comes to computers. My dad for example is that way but he is in his eighties, I have a ex boss in mid seventies that is pretty savy or at least willing to try to figure things out. It is just a patience factor and thought process that just needs to be acquired. Perhaps set up some sort of remote access (Remote Desktop, PC Anywhere, VNC, etc) so you can quickly log on and solve the issue. Another OS is not going to solve those problems. Good Luck.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I use Ubuntu Linux, easy and free. I despise M$, although fixing it does pay well - I'm working as a tech again, and I *know* I have job security LOL
    As for Macs, if you can afford one, buy one, and don't look back. The hardware and software are better than what you get on M$ machines.

Eli
    Eli, I am guessing that you are young and impressionable. If you have been invovled in and around MS since it's inception like I have then you might have more respect for them. With experience comes respect for all types (or OS) and platforms. The security and job you enjoy is because MS changed technology for the World ~ not because it is inferior. The other OS's and platforms all have their place and should be respected as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom