• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Ditto on the toll tag. There are places and times in the Houston area where you just can’t get from Point A to Point B without getting on a toll road.

Plus, if you ever want to head down to the Katy, Sugarland, Rosenberg area, the Grand Parkway (99) is the way to go and it’s a toll road.
    Capitol Armory ad

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Welcome home!

I hope you scraped that Portlandia crap off your boots at the border?

Thankfully I never had any "portlandia" on my boots that I couldn't wash off when I got home, when I lived there. We weren't actually in the city limits of Portland, we were in an unincorporated area of a neighboring county that, for unexplainable reasons, had a Portland zip code. We were in the Beaverton school district, served by the Washington County Sheriff for police services, and situated physically closer to the city of Hillsboro (where Intel has its big hive of campuses) than anything else. For the last two months we lived there, I entered the shitty of Portlant exactly 4 times, twice for work, once to rent a big car trailer to shove all our crap in, and then once driving thru it on I-84 on the way out of that hell hole state.

I've read recently that Queen Kate is boucing around travel restrictions, if she can pull them off. Glad we got out when we did. She's drunk with power, but not even smart enough to use it really to her advantage. Without brainless Jay Inslee in Washington, or that shitstain Gavin Newsome in Cali - she'd be directionless. One of her administrations' most recent things was to jack up the rates to rent a camp site from a state park for out of state visitors. Its like Oregon literally wants no tourists. They rape you on out of state fishing licenses, hunting tags, and now camp sites. It was bad enough when they raised the rates from $10 a night to upwards of $30 for a *tent* site in a lot of places, then they started charging hotel tax for camp sites - but now they've raised the rates for out of state guests.

I honestly cannot think of anything that'll make me want to ever set foot back in that state unless they have a mass awakening, hang all the politicians in power, and install a conservative or libertarian government.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Well you have been here for a while, whats your thoughts on what you got yourself into?

Lovin' it. Been busy as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest ever since we got here, so I've not had much free time. Hit the ground running with the venture my dad & I are undertaking. Some long days so far, while also trying to piece together the house with my wifey. Seen a little bit of the area - the other night my wife and I just took a drive and found the Buc-ee's in Waller. She fell in love, managed to get her out with only a couple drinks, a cinnamon roll (meh, shudda got the fudge) and a couple coffee cups.

The humidity sucks, but I'm otherwise enjoying the weather. Pretty fun little lightning storm we had the other night.

I got my fishing license finally, have to go non-resident since i've not been here 6 months, nor have i managed to get my DL switched yet, but i"m good to go on fishing anything in fresh or salt until next year. I managed to sneak away from home for two hours last night and try Unity Park - caught a little channel cat, didn't see many others catching. Tried getting some brim on my fly rod, but I think they were too small to take the hook. I'm always on the look out for other places to fish when I get the time.

My pops told me the other day that he wants to get into an LTC class soon, he still needs to break his Glock in tho. Its sat unfired since he got it.

Do they still pump fuel for you or are drivers permitted to do it themselves?

Its a mix - in "metro" areas you cannot pump your own. In counties with less than 10,000 residents, you can pump your own full time. In rural counties but not metro counties you can pump your own between 6PM and 6AM, IIRC.

If you drive a diesel, you can pump your own anywhere, anytime. They experimented with pump your own during the peak of the COVID scam, because 1,000 people touching a pump handle each day is somehow better than 1 person touching the same handle over and over? WHo knew that the virus won't spread by rando's touching the pump, but the chain smoking meth addict "attendant" would get sick being the only one to touch it? I'm a pump your own fan so I'm loving not sitting and waiting for someone to trundle over and scratch or spill gas on my car while giving me attitude for taking their time away from facebook.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Glad you're getting settled in Sasquatch. Pretty soon, Portland will be a distant memory.

Doing my best to block it out :cool: A few more trips to good BBQ and Mexican eateries, a little more sweat, and some good fishing trips should about do it.

So far we've tried 2 local Mexican eateries and a couple American joints - so far so good. My BBQ tastes may need recalibrated to Texan standards, but I've quite enjoyed all the stuff I've tried so far. Way better than the oven-roasted, sauce slathered stuff we found mostly in Oregon (we did have a couple honest to god BBQ pits there, which were good)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Doing my best to block it out :cool: A few more trips to good BBQ and Mexican eateries, a little more sweat, and some good fishing trips should about do it.

So far we've tried 2 local Mexican eateries and a couple American joints - so far so good. My BBQ tastes may need recalibrated to Texan standards, but I've quite enjoyed all the stuff I've tried so far. Way better than the oven-roasted, sauce slathered stuff we found mostly in Oregon (we did have a couple honest to god BBQ pits there, which were good)

If you ever need your BBQ standards recalibrated, head north to East Texas and I'll fix you up sometime! I do all of mine on an honest to goodness home made smoker!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

My guess you have only ate TexMex so far. When you want real Texas bar B Que its road trip to Lockhart & Blacks.
    For a fisherman you need to get into Houston to Goode Company Seafood! Might want to celebrate the end of Covid when they return to full menu

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    The drive across the state from Kerrick to Magnolia was fun and interesting, and it was kind of eye opening for my wife and mother in law - they seemed to think that Texas was like it was portrayed in old western movies - arid, brown, full of tumble weeds, cowboys on horse back, and stuck in the 1860s. I'm amused by the fact they are amazed there are national chains like Five Guys or McDonalds in places, or that the bulk of the state we've seen was lush and green. They were likewise surprised to see the number of wind mills and solar panels, which far, far outdo what the PNW has.

I seriously dug the 75+ mph speed limits, even on the country roads.

Just don't tell any of those pnw liberals that you have found heaven. Welcome to Texas.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My guess you have only ate TexMex so far. When you want real Texas bar B Que its road trip to Lockhart & Blacks.
    For a fisherman you need to get into Houston to Goode Company Seafood! Might want to celebrate the end of Covid when they return to full menu

I ate at Goode Company Seafood many a time! Damn you Baboon! I lived just a couple of miles from the one on Katy Freeway. Now I want to eat there again! Some awesome seafood.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I ate at Goode Company Seafood many a time! Damn you Baboon! I lived just a couple of miles from the one on Katy Freeway. Now I want to eat there again! Some awesome seafood.
    When we lived in Stinkagetdowndena we would drive over to the Westpark Goode Seafood. Back then we would split a Campenchana Extra & a shrimp & oyster po boy + pecan pie. I use to send my dad pies for his birthday & Christmas. Now I'm about 10 minutes away from the Westpark location, which is the Goode Company epicenter. The original Goode Bar B Que, Seafood, Tex-mex & Armadillo Palace are all decent.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Lockhart & Blacks sounds like a place to hit if they're still doing live music in Austin. We'd like to head over some time and take in a good dinner & good live performance, Lyle Lovett or Junior Brown are topping my list to see if/when they perform again.

As for TexMex / Mexican - we've tried Las Fuentes here in town, and El Emperador in Tomball. Las Fuentes was very good, and it was nice seeing charro beans on the menu vs just refried. Same with El Emperador - which is the favorite place for my parents to eat if they do Mexican and dad gives her a night off from cooking.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Lockhart & Blacks sounds like a place to hit if they're still doing live music in Austin. We'd like to head over some time and take in a good dinner & good live performance, Lyle Lovett or Junior Brown are topping my list to see if/when they perform again.

As for TexMex / Mexican - we've tried Las Fuentes here in town, and El Emperador in Tomball. Las Fuentes was very good, and it was nice seeing charro beans on the menu vs just refried. Same with El Emperador - which is the favorite place for my parents to eat if they do Mexican and dad gives her a night off from cooking.

You’ll be disappointed with Austin. Pretty much everything you just left.

If you’re going to Lockhart, make it a trip. Start in Luling @ Snow’s. Be there early, they’ll be sold out before noon, and hit up City Market. Then go over Lockhart for Kreuz, Black’s, and Smitty’s. Finish your day at Southside in Elgin if you’re not already in a meat coma.

Top Bottom