• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can't find any of the new production 8rn P220 mags. :( Care to share some details?

IMO, the number of mags you should have should be 1.5x how ever many mags you can fire off before the gun is so hot it starts melting parts. :D

I got real lucky and found someone on Gunbroker, in Texas, selling all 10 mags for dirt cheap. Amazingly only a couple people bid, but they didn't even try to outbid me. Now, if I could just find a good deal on some of those P220 9mm mags. ;)

AzProtector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Midland, TX
    75-30 rnd mags per AK
    3-75 rnd drums per AK
    9-13 rnd mags per XD-45
    9-15 rnd mags per XD-9

Lots of ammo for me, my children, and now I'm working on making sure my grandchildren have enough ammo.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Hummmm.
    Is this a trick question? Too many mags, too much money?

I shoot 1911s and not counting the ones that came with my pistols, I honestly don't know how many I have. Maybe 30 or so and still have some unopened.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    You can never have too many magazines. I buy new ones whenever they're on sale. The mags for my Colt 1911 aren't too expensive, but the ones for my Glock 23 are always expensive it seems like.

diverge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Just fill them up with ammo. I don't understand why people buy 40 magazines and leave them empty. Invisible bullets don't penetrate very well.

A good number would be the amount you could carry around with you plus a few extra to have for replacements if the shtf. unless you have a wheel barrel and plan on pushing that around.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    You should at least unload your magazines every now and then and clean them. Also leaving your magazines loaded will eventually wear out the spring tension so its a good idea not to leave them loaded constantly. I will load mine when I get ready to go to the range. I also keep a couple of mags loaded for self defense, but about once a month I will rotate them out so its not always the same magazine that's loaded.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Not trying to start an argument, but wearing out of springs has been proven to be an almost urban legend, there are several posts, with research data on various forums to back this up.... I will try and link one later... Until reading these I too thought that and constantly advocated "cycling" magazines...

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Not trying to start an argument, but wearing out of springs has been proven to be an almost urban legend, there are several posts, with research data on various forums to back this up.... I will try and link one later... Until reading these I too thought that and constantly advocated "cycling" magazines...

That's good to know, I'm gonna go load up all my mags right now. I've always been told that leaving the mags loaded when they're not being used would wear out the spring tension, now that I know different screw it I'm leaving all my mags loaded 24/7.

Thanks for the info. :cool:

TdDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Houston

I will say that the spring in the original 15rnd mag for my 1940's era M1 Carbine did get weak and will not feed the last round. Of course, it's 60 or so years old.

I know exactly how the rifle was treated throughout it's life because it was my dad's service rifle when he was in the army and he served in Korea during that war. Since he was a pilot, the rifle never got much use. When he was a Texas DPS patrolman in the wild times of Duval County in the '50s, that was his "AR-15" and it got a lot of use. He told me many stories of gunfights at 100 mph with his partner driving and him shooting but that was a different time I guess.

Since I had it, I always had left it loaded but a few years ago, I noticed that the last round would not feed when shooting. I would have to manually re-cycle the action to feed the last round. But, like I said, it's 60 years old. I'm sure spring technology has come along a bit since then.

None of my pistol mags are old enough to have any kind of indication. The oldest is maybe 7 years old and I always keep them topped off.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I will say that the spring in the original 15rnd mag for my 1940's era M1 Carbine did get weak and will not feed the last round. Of course, it's 60 or so years old.

I know exactly how the rifle was treated throughout it's life because it was my dad's service rifle when he was in the army and he served in Korea during that war. Since he was a pilot, the rifle never got much use. When he was a Texas DPS patrolman in the wild times of Duval County in the '50s, that was his "AR-15" and it got a lot of use. He told me many stories of gunfights at 100 mph with his partner driving and him shooting but that was a different time I guess.

Since I had it, I always had left it loaded but a few years ago, I noticed that the last round would not feed when shooting. I would have to manually re-cycle the action to feed the last round. But, like I said, it's 60 years old. I'm sure spring technology has come along a bit since then.

None of my pistol mags are old enough to have any kind of indication. The oldest is maybe 7 years old and I always keep them topped off.

I've noticed with my Glock magazines that if I don't keep them loaded all the time that its a pain to get all 13 rounds loaded. After I started keeping them loaded it seems to weaken the springs after a while to allow the final couple of rounds to be loaded.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom