• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Sitting out here 35 miles from primers at gun store, been reloading 9mm Luger with 115 gr. jacked bullets, 5 grs. Bullseye Powder, and regular small pistol primers. They shoot great, do not seem over powered. Three reloading manuals say 5 grs Bullseye Maximum load/Starting load.

I just happen to have some magnum small pistol primers from the old days .357 reloading. Question is: Should I reduce the Bullseye charge down to 4.7 or 4.8 grains ? Books say don't use magnum primers....

I'm just shooting at paper, aluminun cans, small stones....For zombies I would drag out the 1911, not getting that old argument going again, Son bought me a new Taurus P99, like to shoot it every day.

Thanks for any info about safely reloading with magnum primers.....
    Capitol Armory ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I know a few people that use magnum primers in their IPSC 9mm Major loads since the Magnum primers tend to be a bit more robust to high pressures.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I bought a few thousand Federal Magnum Small Pistol primers a few months ago because that is all I could find. Using Titegroup to reload 9mm I got about the same velocity I was getting using regular Federal Small Pistol primers. I just used the same load, but with a slower burning powder you may get different results so I'd work it up.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    ALWAYS back a load down if you have never loaded it before!!!
    0.5 grain is enough.
    9mm is a high psi round and the mag primer is hotter and will bring the overall case pis up.
    You may even find that with the some powders a mag primer gives more consistent velocity.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Mag primers in 9mm Luger

Thanks, guys.....I loaded a couple of rounds primed with magnum primers and dropped the powder down to 4.4 grs. Bullseye, they shot fine, Went up a tad to 4.7 grs same powder and felt no different recoil from regular loads, accuracy seemed not be effected, did five rounds of this load followed be a regular round.

I confess I did not chronograph these test loads as would be sensible but some gremlin shot a hole through my chrono with a 30-06 three or four years ago and I decided that I really had no need of that fine device.

Glad to have knowledgable amigos who will help out, Thanks.....

Top Bottom