• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    hi everybody
    i'm about to get a new shotgun. it'll be the baikal mp 153. it comes in magnum and super magnum version and the price difference between both is negligible. i'd like to shoot both trap loads 24 grams and magnum for hunting. the super magnum its a nice feature to have if in a shtf situation thats the only type of shell you come across. now what i'd like to ask is
    1) will it be able to cycle 24grams shells ?
    2) it'll have a 24 inch barrel. if i cut down the barrel to 20 inch will it affect the cycling action of the gun since its a gas operated gun or it wont since 20 inches are more then enough for the gasses to cycle the bolt ? but the super magnum travels a bigger distance too.
    as is obvious the magnum version seems to be more reliable. but can the super magnum be as reliable ?
    thanks
    Capitol Armory ad

bsp212

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Houston
    I don't know much about the baikal mp 153. However, if you plan to spend the money to have the barrel cut down, re-threaded for chokes, and the rib threaded for a new bead, you may as well just pony up for a different gun as you will have invested several hundred more dollars in to a $400 shotgun. I looked around and the average price for this kind of work is about $300 with NO choke tubes. You could get a nice shotgun for $700 and skip the barrel cut down.

A used benelli super black eagle usually runs $700-800 depending on the condition. If you aren't too worried about how it looks, these things will eat anything from light skeet loads to 3 1/2" magnums.

My personal preference is to only shoot the 3 1/2" loads when using T and BBB shot on geese and sandhill crane. I think you need the extra payload for pattern density here. 2 3/4" loads will take down dove, ducks, quail, chukar, and pheasant just fine. I like 3" on turkeys but only because it isn't as punishing on the shoulder.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Can't think of a reason I would have a super magnum other than geese. For self defense you are losing capacity for a IMHO an unnecessary upgrade in power. Can you even find self defense loads in 3 1/2 magnum at a local store or are they only mail order???

Top Bottom