• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    Howdy,

I’m looking into getting the Magpul bipod, and trying to decide between the rail version or the MLOK. I have an AR with the MLOK handguard, and could either attach a 3 slot rail (the MLOK adapter) and put the bipod on that, or get the MLOK version and attach directly to the handguard.

I like the idea of the rail version being more flexible for other guns (I could get a QD to rail adapter for my model 700, for example), but just curious if having the 3 slot rail to MLOK with the rail bipod would be any less sturdy than the MLOK bipod attached directly.

Any advice or suggestions from anyone with a similar setup would be greatly appreciated!
    Capitol Armory ad

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Ultimately it depends on how the bipod attaches, IE tightens up. I have a bipod on a BCM Keymod with a picatinny rail adapter, it does protrude more but I can also move the bipod to my other ARs. A dedicated bipod to an mlock cant be moved to a keymod or a picatinny rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I went through the same thing and got the Picatinny version so I could move it around like you stated.

But ultimately get bipods for every rifle you want them on.

PS the Magpul is an okay unit. Personally for M-Lok fore ends I prefer the UTG models if on a budget. They are worth well above their price point.

Check the "Popular Bipod Review" where I covered both them as well as others.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    Thank you both for the replies. I think I would go with the picatinny version if I went with the Magpul, just seems to have the best re-usability.

I was also looking at the UTG Recon Flex MLOK bipod (I messaged you about the length), as I do like that it attaches to the side of the handguard. I decided to order this one first, since it's more than half as much as the Magpul, so I'll report back here once I get that and see how it fits/works. I went with the longer version, so I don't have to have it fully extended with a 30 round magazine.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    As mentioned, the best solution is to get an MLOK 1913 rail piece to attach to your gun, then get a 1913 bipod to attach to the rail.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    I've ordered the UTG MLOK bipod and just picked up a MLOK-picatinny adapter from my LGS. I'm going to order the Magpul picatinny bipod and see which one I like more. It seems like the Magpul will be the winner, but this UTG bipod has some good reviews and Dawico had some good remarks too.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Let us know what you think.

In general I think UTG make junk but they hit a home run with that bipod system. For the price the Magpul should have more innovation and better execution. Just my opinion though.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    I ended up returning the UTG bipod, as it was too wide a stance for my preference. My Magpul handguard has the MLOK on the side, but they are slightly angled up (which contributed to the wider stance). I haven't ordered the Magpul bipod yet, but I got the Caldwell Pic Rail XLA Fixed Bipod instead ($30 on Amazon). I tested it out and it worked pretty well, not super great quality but it does the job for range shooting and zeroing a rifle. Caldwell also has a Caldwell Pic Rail Adaptor Plate for sling mounts, which allows me to use the bipod also on my Model 700. Pretty sturdy and fits well.

I still plan to get the Magpul so I can compare it to the Caldwell and have a better appreciation for the $100 price tag.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The UTG bipods are wide but that is a good thing until you go to put it in a case.

Never seen a handguard with angled mounting sides but I suppose that would make the setup very wide.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    True, it wasn't terrible in the case, but definitely makes it a tight fit.

This is the upper I have from PSA:
    upload_2019-7-15_8-48-48.png

It is just a slight angle, although you can't much tell from the side view haha.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-15_8-48-48.png
      upload_2019-7-15_8-48-48.png
      16.8 KB · Views: 687
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994