• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The only four mags. I have that are not loaded, are for both new rifle I recently acquired and have not shot yet. Otherwise all my firearms And the magazines are loaded. As the man once said, "An unloaded firearm is just a very expensive paperweight."

I have plenty of loaded mags as well. The question is more to how many to keep loaded and its effect, if any, on the mags.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    There was a posting on another forum dealing with this same question. And from what the "experts" say, the act of using, or use of the magazines cause them to ultimately fail. The loading and unloading of the magazines cause the parts to weaken over time and cease working properly. And from what "they" say, keeping the magazines loaded will not harm them at all. Basically, keep loaded or empty, but, keep them one way or the other.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I have plenty of loaded mags as well. The question is more to how many to keep loaded and its effect, if any, on the mags.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

How many to keep loaded? All until you run out of ammo to put in them.

Effect it will have on the magazine? None, if it's a quality magazine. If it's a cheap magazine (IE knock-off pmags), then the magazine lips might tend to bow out over time due to the pressure put on them.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Pistol Home defense mags stay loaded with 1 or 2 from full capicity. If I dump through one mag on a rare home invasion , then the other 2 are ready to go. Leaving 1 or 2 out of the mag will prolong the life of the mag spring.

I keep my HK51 loaded with 4 mags next to it in the closet and the HK53 half loaded next to the bed. Of course all of this gets locked up at certain times.

Paranoid maybe....ready,certainly.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've heard several people say only load the mag to two or three rounds of its capacity. How exactly does this help the spring? Do you still do this with your 7-8 rnd .45's?

Gun Show Podcast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Unless the spring is at full compression when fully loaded in the magazine, I cannot see how downloading would affect the spring. I suppose one could argue that it was less pressure on the magazine feed lips...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I don't go out of my way to load them and then stuff them into the safe, but if I've gone through the trouble of loading a mag, I'll be damned if I'm going to unload it unless it's down range. I don't think in the short term (1-2 years) leaving a mag loaded is going to affect the spring. Maybe after 20 or so years I might be a bit cautious. There are a lot of other things to worry about.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I don't go out of my way to load them and then stuff them into the safe, but if I've gone through the trouble of loading a mag, I'll be damned if I'm going to unload it unless it's down range. I don't think in the short term (1-2 years) leaving a mag loaded is going to affect the spring. Maybe after 20 or so years I might be a bit cautious. There are a lot of other things to worry about.

As a gun owner, you shouldn't be leaving anything in the safe. You should be taking what you have out to the range and showing it the love it deserves.

:loaded:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I've heard several people say only load the mag to two or three rounds of its capacity. How exactly does this help the spring? Do you still do this with your 7-8 rnd .45's?

I know that some magazines will malfunction if loaded to capacity. It has happened to me a few times. Usually with aftermarket pieces, and I'm fairly certain they were all curved or "banana" 30 round magazines. I guess sometimes the spring has difficulty with the curved shape. I know that once when I was living in NY in Times Square a guy tried to open fire on just random people. Whatever he had jammed on the first round. Didn't even get a shot off and immediately the cops were on him. I was there and I saw it happen, but at the time I wasn't exactly sure what was going on. I read about it later. My dad always told me to take things to the range and test them before I trust them.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Loaded. I've got PMags that have been loaded pretty much constantly for a few years now, and they aren't warping. The bodies wear out from use eventually, but I never have used those stupid cover things, and always load to capacity.

It doesn't. Loading down by 2 makes it easier to insert a GI 30 round magazine in an AR with the bolt closed. People might have picked that up and run with it in situations where there's not a good reason to load down...

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've noticed that, and for that I can see leaving out one or two rounds-but 5 or 10? I can't figure that out. With the exception of you just now-I'm always told it's so the spring will last longer. My pistols, I load the mags completely and just give it a good bump. I've never had an issue from that. My rifle, I've gotten in the habit of locking the bolt back before I load the mag. Habit set-problem solved for me. lol

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Or a blue helmet ...

Tactical Squirrel is raging but Jody has got my back

Army_Squirrel_by_Neijman.jpg

Top Bottom