• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    It's a .500 S&W... it's designed to kill BEARS. It doesn't matter what you put in the damn thing, if you hit someone with it you will get their attention. A good shot from a .500 S&W revolver using a JHP is going to do some damage.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
    ARJ Defense ad

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    It's a .500 S&W... it's designed to kill BEARS. It doesn't matter what you put in the damn thing, if you hit someone with it you will get their attention. A good shot from a .500 S&W revolver using a JHP is going to do some damage.

The issue is over penetration. I am not familiar with actual testing on MagSafe but I have heard from people I trust that it is good stuff and stops inside the target.

I carry a 3 inch .44 mag sometimes and I load it with Glasers. I have done a few tests with them and I am very confident that they will perform as advertised.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The issue is over penetration. I am not familiar with actual testing on MagSafe but I have heard from people I trust that it is good stuff and stops inside the target.

I carry a 3 inch .44 mag sometimes and I load it with Glasers. I have done a few tests with them and I am very confident that they will perform as advertised.

Ok. First off, "stopping inside the target" isn't always a good thing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's never a good thing.

There are many very important structures at (what should be) the far side of your target in a defensive situation. You have the main artery in the torso running back next to the spine, and then you have the spine itself. The spine is definitely a wonderful secondary target after your bullet blows through the heart, since a heart shot will not instantly stop someone. You put a .44 through someone's heart and still have them kill you a minute later. I'd also like to state that an exit wound is simply another outlet for blood, and typically a larger one than the entry wound. My defensive ammo for my P220 has been shown in tests to expand to around .70". .45" entry wound is alright, but .70 exit... that's a pretty large hole.

Where inside the BG is your shot going to stop is another question? Is it going to stop at 3" of penetration? 10"? Remember that in a fight you may be having to shoot through someone's extended forearms. You also may be called upon to shoot through a barricade. I'd rather not have to try putting a Glaser through a car door... A Federal HST? No problem.

Experts in the know state that your carry gun and ammo should work together to give you 12" minimum penetration in calibrated ballistic gelatin. This stuff gives identical ballistic penetration characteristics to pig flesh, which is extremely similar to those of human flesh. Between 12" and 18" is the "sweet spot" for defensive ammo. Anything more is (probably) more than you need. Anything less is potentially less than you need, and dangerous.

Over-penetration is almost completely a myth. Until you start talking about something like .50 BMG, I'd have to say that it is a myth, and even .50 BMG might not be "too much" penetration in my opinion. Depleted uranium 120mm APFSDS is definitely over-penetrating for self defense against un-armored attackers.. but that's about all that I would consider such.

Most handguns, penetration is the weak point.

Penetration is king, shot placement is queen, everything else is icing on the cake.

Carry good ammo that's been proven. For most of us, it'll be something that says "Law-enforcement only" on the box. For those of you who just have to carry a .500 S&W... well, just about any JHP should work fine, since penetration won't be your gun's Achilles.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Ok. First off, "stopping inside the target" isn't always a good thing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's never a good thing.

There are many very important structures at (what should be) the far side of your target in a defensive situation. You have the main artery in the torso running back next to the spine, and then you have the spine itself. The spine is definitely a wonderful secondary target after your bullet blows through the heart, since a heart shot will not instantly stop someone. You put a .44 through someone's heart and still have them kill you a minute later. I'd also like to state that an exit wound is simply another outlet for blood, and typically a larger one than the entry wound. My defensive ammo for my P220 has been shown in tests to expand to around .70". .45" entry wound is alright, but .70 exit... that's a pretty large hole.

Where inside the BG is your shot going to stop is another question? Is it going to stop at 3" of penetration? 10"? Remember that in a fight you may be having to shoot through someone's extended forearms. You also may be called upon to shoot through a barricade. I'd rather not have to try putting a Glaser through a car door... A Federal HST? No problem.

Experts in the know state that your carry gun and ammo should work together to give you 12" minimum penetration in calibrated ballistic gelatin. This stuff gives identical ballistic penetration characteristics to pig flesh, which is extremely similar to those of human flesh. Between 12" and 18" is the "sweet spot" for defensive ammo. Anything more is (probably) more than you need. Anything less is potentially less than you need, and dangerous.

Over-penetration is almost completely a myth. Until you start talking about something like .50 BMG, I'd have to say that it is a myth, and even .50 BMG might not be "too much" penetration in my opinion. Depleted uranium 120mm APFSDS is definitely over-penetrating for self defense against un-armored attackers.. but that's about all that I would consider such.

Most handguns, penetration is the weak point.

Penetration is king, shot placement is queen, everything else is icing on the cake.

Carry good ammo that's been proven. For most of us, it'll be something that says "Law-enforcement only" on the box. For those of you who just have to carry a .500 S&W... well, just about any JHP should work fine, since penetration won't be your gun's Achilles.

Yep that covers it.
    I don't want secondary targets (by standers) but I'd rather have a BG down and dead than me.

Top Bottom