Magtech 308 & PTR-91

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by jnock, Apr 11, 2009.

1. jnock

jnock New Member

Hey Folks,

Can anyone tell me if Magtech 308 ammo is any good?
    My PTR-91 cycles it fine, but my repeatability at 100yds is around one minute of (entire) target:gotme:.

2008 PTR-91 SC (16"bbl).

TIA,

Jay

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    How does it shoot with other ammo? How does it shoot with other shooters?

I used Magtech in my one and only high power match (and in an off-hand clinic before that) in a ultra-match Garand with no trouble. My calls were matching my hits for the most part. I did lousy at the match, but some other shooters were pretty impressed with how good my score was (partly because I had zero equipment other than the tricked-out Garand - no jacket, no mat, no spotting scope, nothing), and I don't feel that it was my rifle or ammo that was holding me back one bit. Sighting in before the match off a bench, I had no problem putting the stuff through one hole at a hundred yards (which was mostly the rifle; I'm not a great shot).

I gave what I had left to my friend to help him break in his AR-10, and he was happy with the accuracy and cleanliness.

All in all, I don't think Magtech is the highest-quality ammo; there's definitely a reason it's cheaper. But the quality seems Ok to me.

3. jnock

jnock New Member

Good Point

Thanks M.Sage,

It could be the nut behind the trigger. I'll get someone else to send a few downrange and see what the results are.

I was considering getting ahold of one of those LeadSleds or equiv and seeing what the results are.

As far as other ammo performing: I tried Winchester white box 7.62 - FTE & FTFs after 2nd magazine; 7.62 DAG headstamped - FTEs & FTFs before end of 1st mag; Magtech has functioned flawlessly - no FTE or FTF ever.
    I've yet to try any commercial hunting ammo.

Thanks,

Jay
    TAMU -'82