• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You seem to be assuming the parents will be teaching. In fact a lot of parents form teaching collectives and hire professional teachers. Also there's a bunch of good online courses for kids of all ages that require minimal input from parents. Most homeschoolers are using these.
    Then the schooling will not be free, it will have a cost. Hiring a professional teacher or using for online courses is not free.

A benefit would be if parents pay attention, they can keep any crap indoctrination from happening.
    Guns International

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    No. Once your kid is done with school, you should be done paying. Today, we pay for a lifetime.

My ISD collects more than half my tax bill. Neither of my kids ever used any of their services, nor will they ever as they were both in the workforce when we moved here. But I’ve paid them more than $20K over the last five years.

That's it? I've paid my ISD 14k in the last 2 years

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Then the schooling will not be free, it will have a cost. Hiring a professional teacher or using for online courses is not free.

A benefit would be if parents pay attention, they can keep any crap indoctrination from happening.
    Schooling has never been free. >obvious< It's just a question of who pays how much, how they pay and who they pay.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Our district isn’t that drunk on taxes. Yet.

They will be. This is my tax liability on the current place.

1660350912038.png

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If public schools were worth a damn, they'd prepare kids for life. They don't.

Here's what they should teach IMO:

• Critical thinking (including how people can be manipulated by the media & social media)
    • Basic reading, writing, math
    • Civics (how our government works, our Constitution & DoI, etc.)
    • Basic history (emphasis on how humanity has succeeded and screwed up in the past)
    • Home economics (how to set up a home budget, get a bank account, balance a checking account, properly manage credit, file a 1040EZ. etc.)
    • Domestic skills (basic cooking, how to do laundry, cleaning your home)
    • Digital literacy (how to use a smartphone, basic computer skills)
    • Job preparation (how to interview for a job, write a good resume, work ethic, workplace etiquette, etc.)
    • Parenting (what's involved in raising kids, etc.)
    • Anger management and conflict resolution

These are the things you need to learn to live in our modern society. You'd be surprised how many young 'adults' are ignorant of so many of these things.

Of course our public school system, with teacher's unions, wokester staff and politics, are probably beyond repair. Thus school choice and vouchers to provide real competition to public schools seems to be our best bet.

That is not a bad list. But.....
    Take out the part about "parenting". One of the biggest problems with public school, they think they know more about how you should be raising your kids than you do. And many of the teachers I have known have some of the worst behaved kids. Or the most oppressed and mentally screwed up.
    Anger management? No. And get rid of "Zero Tolerance". Period. Punishing the victim the same as the aggressor does nothing but train people to be one or the other and that standing up for yourself will get you nothing but punished. When bullies get their ass wupped on the playground often enough, and then punished for being one, most get the message that it ain't a good life choice.
    Education needs to go back to the basics and leave what should be tought at home at home. Not the class room.
    By and large, the education system has brought this all on themselves. Anyone that wants it fixed needs to start there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    A parent will pay the same total money regardless.

Do away with school taxes, save $60k in taxes. But school has to be funded. So guess what you will pay in tuition while your kid is in school - $60k. {Just throwing out a figure for the example.}

Either way, you will be out the same bucks.
    Maybe but look at the vast improvement in the product if YOU choose your educators and educational program. The schools would only stay in business if they performed at a high level or at least with a good cost to performance ratio. With all the waste within the current public school funding system, our kids would get 10X the education for the same money.
    As short as attention spans of children are, especially today, schools should just focus on what @toddnjoyce quotes from Jefferson - reading, writing, arithmatic. Basic literacy (which is very lacking) and basic math.

You could literally drop all other subjects and we'd be no worse off, probably better off. Kids can learn history, geography, etc as extracurricular interests / activities, or from private education. Public schools could be dramatically changed to focus solely on reading, writing, and basic math - addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. History can be gleaned by having them read history books or historical works of fiction as reading assignments and writing assignments likewise could be based on what they read. Two birds, one stone approach.
    Yes. Schools are overrun with extra crap for classes and the kids are not taught cursive, how to write a check, or how to balance a checkbook. I had one graduate salutatorian 2021 and another graduate 8th 2022 (class 4A) and both of them went to school for a half day the senior years because they had already "done all their stuff". They have 8 1/2 class periods now per day in High School, three are electives, and a couple more a the "watered down" type class.

Curriculum has degraded so much that my oldest graduated with an associates degree, the next as college core complete, and yet some of their peers were taking the math they took as 8th graders their senior year.

I do not believe anyone said it would be free. It never has been and never will be. In fact, look at your quote above.

What it would be is a business doing its best to satisfy the customer. What it would be is a business centered on profit earned from results instead of a typical wasteful government entity that sees little success results-wise all the while bilking the public for cash.

Our ISD has a new turf baseball field (that they did not fix some of the original layout issues when it was reconstructed), a new turf softball field (due to Title 9 laws), new turf surface on the football field (old surface was ten years old), recent tennis complex that parents are not allowed to enter during tournaments, a huge indoor practice facility, and a new ag building. It was all paid for out of fund balance.

Problem? How does an ISD with huge operational costs have THAT MUCH cash in reserve? Problem two? They haven't had a bond pass since the High School was built in the early 2000's yet several of the buildings from the '50's and '60's are still in use and need repairs. They keep pushing for a passed bond to pay for these repairs all the while using cash to build sports venues that are extremely expensive.

The last assessment of district properties showed a near $200M "need" and the last two bonds ($35M and $70M) have failed miserably because the public is tired us the ISD stealing from normal people to pay for building upgrades and replacements all while using cash to fund unneeded projects.

BTW...our tax rate is one of the lowest in our peer group and State so just imagine the funny business going on in wealthy districts.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Maybe but look at the vast improvement in the product if YOU choose your educators and educational program. The schools would only stay in business if they performed at a high level or at least with a good cost to performance ratio. With all the waste within the current public school funding system, our kids would get 10X the education for the same money.

Yes. Schools are overrun with extra crap for classes and the kids are not taught cursive, how to write a check, or how to balance a checkbook. I had one graduate salutatorian 2021 and another graduate 8th 2022 (class 4A) and both of them went to school for a half day the senior years because they had already "done all their stuff". They have 8 1/2 class periods now per day in High School, three are electives, and a couple more a the "watered down" type class.

Curriculum has degraded so much that my oldest graduated with an associates degree, the next as college core complete, and yet some of their peers were taking the math they took as 8th graders their senior year.

I do not believe anyone said it would be free. It never has been and never will be. In fact, look at your quote above.

What it would be is a business doing its best to satisfy the customer. What it would be is a business centered on profit earned from results instead of a typical wasteful government entity that sees little success results-wise all the while bilking the public for cash.

Our ISD has a new turf baseball field (that they did not fix some of the original layout issues when it was reconstructed), a new turf softball field (due to Title 9 laws), new turf surface on the football field (old surface was ten years old), recent tennis complex that parents are not allowed to enter during tournaments, a huge indoor practice facility, and a new ag building. It was all paid for out of fund balance.

Problem? How does an ISD with huge operational costs have THAT MUCH cash in reserve? Problem two? They haven't had a bond pass since the High School was built in the early 2000's yet several of the buildings from the '50's and '60's are still in use and need repairs. They keep pushing for a passed bond to pay for these repairs all the while using cash to build sports venues that are extremely expensive.

The last assessment of district properties showed a near $200M "need" and the last two bonds ($35M and $70M) have failed miserably because the public is tired us the ISD stealing from normal people to pay for building upgrades and replacements all while using cash to fund unneeded projects.

BTW...our tax rate is one of the lowest in our peer group and State so just imagine the funny business going on in wealthy districts.
    So why don't the voters vote the bond down? Saw that happen in San Antonio of all places. Vote out the school board? So few vote in these elections a group of determined people can often turn out enough voters to do it.

Your first point has some merit. But it will not be as easy as it sounds. Nor as inexpensive. And sports (while overdone in Texas) is something that some kids enjoy and sports do have benefits for kids. But I agree the extravagance around sports today is ridiculous.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Schools can cut cost if they cut out BS classes that do not focus on education like choir, sports, art, band etc. Then stop building multimillion dollar sports stadiums. Then use that money to increase wages or decrease taxes.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    My daughter is a bit of a special needs (autism specifically) guru / teacher in another state where they are very close to hiring *teachers* that beyond not being certified, they don't even have a HS diploma.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    That is not a bad list. But.....
    Take out the part about "parenting". One of the biggest problems with public school, they think they know more about how you should be raising your kids than you do. And many of the teachers I have known have some of the worst behaved kids. Or the most oppressed and mentally screwed up.
    Anger management? No. And get rid of "Zero Tolerance". Period. Punishing the victim the same as the aggressor does nothing but train people to be one or the other and that standing up for yourself will get you nothing but punished. When bullies get their ass wupped on the playground often enough, and then punished for being one, most get the message that it ain't a good life choice.
    Education needs to go back to the basics and leave what should be tought at home at home. Not the class room.
    By and large, the education system has brought this all on themselves. Anyone that wants it fixed needs to start there.

I disagree. I thought it obvious that the genderfairy garbage wouldn't be taught. I'm talking extremely basic stuff. How often you need to take kids to a pediatrician. The diapers, clothes and shoes you'll need to buy. Vaccinations for common childhood diseases. Dietary info to keep them from becoming obese. The dangers of excessive social media use. That kind of thing.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I disagree. I thought it obvious that the genderfairy garbage wouldn't be taught. I'm talking extremely basic stuff. How often you need to take kids to a pediatrician. The diapers, clothes and shoes you'll need to buy. Vaccinations for common childhood diseases. Dietary info to keep them from becoming obese. The dangers of excessive social media use. That kind of thing.
    That, I can agree with. BASICS that everyone even around children should know. How to care for a child.
    The morality side should be left at home.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Majority of Texas teachers are considering quitting: survey
    Yeah right, just like all the lefties were going to leave the US of A if Donald Trump was elected. All the leftists are still here as far as I know. That's because if they went elsewhere with their attitudes, they'd probably either be beaten to a pulp or jailed or maybe even executed. America, land of the free - so they remain and complain. These teachers, who say they are going to quit, are seemingly and probably no different in as much as they will still be teahing this year and next.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Yeah right, just like all the lefties were going to leave the US of A if Donald Trump was elected. All the leftists are still here as far as I know. That's because if they went elsewhere with their attitudes, they'd probably either be beaten to a pulp or jailed or maybe even executed. America, land of the free - so they remain and complain. These teachers, who say they are going to quit, are seemingly and probably no different in as much as they will still be teahing this year and next.
    There needs to be a 'no political or social indoctrination' rule for teachers. It must be strictly enforced and have serious consequences for offenders. If that isn't done then parents should find alternative ways to educate their kids and public education should die from lack of enrollment.

Top Bottom