• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have some 3/4" thick plastic barrels that were former dr pepper syrup barrels and was wondering if I could build a hold tank/pump for gas on the farm? Do they sell gas pump line etc, or is this a bad idea?
    ARJ Defense ad

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I think the first, and biggest, problem you're going to run into is what plastic is the barrels made of? Gasoline will eat through some plastics.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    I dont believe it is illegal to have a fuel tank on your ranch property. Although I do believe there are some permits involved. If you call up a shop that does trailer and pump services like Wertz here in San Antonio, they have the components like the pump and hoses. You could also call TSC or Northern Equipment.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Another thing to think about is how often woould the fuel get used, it can go bad and also you'll have to worry about evaporation.

Texsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    In addition, gas stations will only allow gas to be used in aprooved containers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Most gas cans are made of plastic. Dont know about being illegal but its your property. You might have a hard time talking the cashier at the quickie mart to let you pump 250 gallons though.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Most gas cans are made of plastic. Dont know about being illegal but its your property. You might have a hard time talking the cashier at the quickie mart to let you pump 250 gallons though.

lol just give them a debit card and start pumpin! if they come outa and yell at ya , drive the truck to the next one down the street

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    actually I will use it frequently. I wont be taking the barrel up but, every time I go to the gas station I fill up a 5 gallon can. So I was thinking every time I do that, just pour it all in a hold tank. The barrel is only 30 gallons.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    They're probably some flavor of polyethylene which is fine for holding gasoline, but check.

Modern fuel systems are often mostly plastic these days.

Vash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Don't forget about static. Its the main reason gasoline tanks are usually underground. Its ok to keep diesel above ground because it doesn't vaporize as easily and is therefore less likely to go up from one little spark.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    HDPE plastics are what gas cans are made of
    Look for this symbol on the drum
    HDPE symbol #2.png

I use the blue drums your talking about for diesel at my place.
    As far as I know they are HDPE

As for pumps
    Transfuel Brand Fuel Transfer Pump 12v 20GPM W/Automatic Nozzle

Look for ones rated as explosion proof

For storage, if you add Sta-Bil to the drum then your fuel will last a year in a sealed drum with a pressure vent cap.
    Equipment2U.com - Prevent Fuel Cap Kit & Adapter Kit #1910-5

Keep the drum under cover and do not fill it.
    You can transport 600 pounds of gasoline including the drum without a hazmat license
    50 gallons weighs about 315 pounds

I would not go more than 53 gallons in the drum, that way you have expansion room.
    Also make sure you put a water trap filter on the pump so you trap any condensation that builds up on the inside of the drum from temp changes. Drive a ground rod into the ground ext to the drum(s) and strap it to the pump.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    For what it's worth, regarding the weight of gasoline - 6 lbs/gallon is the quick calculation rule of thumb. 8lbs/gallon for water...

Why do I know this? No, seriously. Why do I know this?

Top Bottom