• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bushmaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Dallas
    A lot of the guns on our streets, legal or otherwise, are converted replica's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't converting a replica kind of count as making your own gun?

I'm asking simply to prove the point that there will always be guns in America, regardless of what the politicians may do.
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's illegal and rather dangerous. It's illegal because it's not serial numbered, and you are not a licensed manufacturer. That is if you want to make them for sale.

Personally, it's not illegal if you use it for yourself.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Anyone with an amateur machine shop could make guns from scratch. Someone posted a video awhile back that showed people in caves making AKs, semi auto pistols and even their own ammo with simple hand tools. So yes, no matter what, there will always be guns.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What do you mean "replica?" That's in the UK, where a lot of "replicas" are the real thing that's barely demilled. Here, the rules for replicas are a lot more stringent.

Would be a zip gun in Texas. Sounds extremely dangerous anyway.

Got a source for that zip gun thing? I have a home-built AK receiver that I haven't added mechanicals to yet...

The danger level epends on how it's done. Like with the AK, building your own will turn out fine 99% of the time, though it takes tools, skills and some pretty serious time.

My (assembled and running) AK was a garage "build" from an NDS-3 receiver and parts kit. There's not really anything dangerous about making your own gun, but it's definitely not something that criminals are going to be doing.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A lot of the guns on our streets, legal or otherwise, are converted replica's.

This is pretty much a non-existent problem. Almost no one does this, it's pretty much a non-issue. I assume by replica you are talking about converting an airsoft gun or something? If so, it would most likely blow up on the very first shot. ;) Liberals have tried to raise that as an issue, just so they can also ban airsoft guns and any toy that even resembles a firearm.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Got a source for that zip gun thing? I have a home-built AK receiver that I haven't added mechanicals to yet...
    I meant modifying a replica to shoot real ammo would be dangerous. The replicas I've seen are not built to handle that type of stress. Making a gun from scratch would not qualify under the zip gun definition I believe.

Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
    (1) an explosive weapon;
    (2) a machine gun;
    (3) a short-barrel firearm;
    (4) a firearm silencer;
    (5) a switchblade knife;
    (6) knuckles;
    (7) armor-piercing ammunition;
    (8) a chemical dispensing device; or
    (9) a zip gun.

(e) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree unless it is committed under Subsection (a)(5) or (a)(6), in which event, it is a Class A misdemeanor.

(16) "Zip gun" means a device or combination of devices that was not originally a firearm and is adapted to expel a projectile through a smooth-bore or rifled-bore barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hmm, that's kind of worrying. Most of the home-built AK would be "originally a firearm", but you make the receiver out of little more than a sheet of steel... That's definitely not originally a firearm, and you have to bend, cut, weld, drill, ream and temper before you can turn it into one. "Adapted"?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just checked legal definitions and you're correct. In this use it should refer to a mechanical object.

I still think that law is just a bit too vague. And I really hate vague laws.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Homemade Improvised Firearms and Zips, Pipes, and Pens have both covered this subject thoroughly. The conclusion is that if prison inmates can get guns in the most heavily locked down areas of America, gun control is doomed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom