• ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    ok so if I read correctly, the guy got arrested and charged with DC

the police chief said he supports the group and the right to open carry a rifle

so is the chief saying his department shouldn't have charged the guy?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I am with you... It is almost as though the reporter intentionally left out parts.....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    "This is the issue that they don't want to address that we have to address," Chief Jones said. "When we get a call about a person with a gun, do we ignore it? Walking down the street? They're alluding to the fact that we don't have any right to make contact to them because they're not doing anything wrong. I beg to differ with them."

No, you pinhead. You have the right and authority to make contact with him. Not to arrest him.

Time for a new chief in that town.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

The chief says he supports all that, but (remember that everything before "but" doesn't count) they're going to arrest people for open-carrying rifles unless they call the PD and give them a heads-up in advance. In other words, get permission to do something that's not illegal and there is no requirement to notify the police if you plan on doing it or go to jail.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    well we gun owners, (whether you believe in this cause or not) need to put a stop to this bullshit of catching a DC charge because people called 911 for walking down the street with a shouldered long gun

the act of walking down the street with slung rifle and doing nothing else does not merit a DC, I don't care how many ignorant asses get upset by it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    well we gun owners, (whether you believe in this cause or not) need to put a stop to this bullshit of catching a DC charge because people called 911 for walking down the street with a shouldered long gun

the act of walking down the street with slung rifle and doing nothing else does not merit a DC, I don't care how many ignorant asses get upset by it.

WHat we need to do is get the law changed, because as it stands it is completely a judgement call on the part of the LEO.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    There may be more to it, basicly it may have been the interaction when the cop made contact, that led to the arrest. Then again it may just be BS. I do wish reporters actually could do their job.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    There may be more to it, basicly it may have been the interaction when the cop made contact, that led to the arrest. Then again it may just be BS. I do wish reporters actually could do their job.

I think if the gun owner had caused an issue with the arresting LEO, the Chief would have said something about it.

The article led me to think, that the charge came from all of the panicked phone calls

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I think if the gun owner had caused an issue with the arresting LEO, the Chief would have said something about it.

The article led me to think, that the charge came from all of the panicked phone calls

Why? There is basicly no info on the specifics and the police almost never say anything directly about arrests so why would this be different? Not saying your wrong just we havent been given squat for info so we seem to be drawing conclusions real quick. I think the calls led to the stop but I don't see any info to know if the interaction there had any effect.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

I don't know why this is still such an unsettled issue in Texas. It has been settled in some states already. I particularly remember this case of the guy in Georgia being stopped in a grocery store parking lot. GEORGIACARRY.ORG, INC., and
    ZACHARY NELSON MEAD - VS - Plaintiffs, RONALD STRENGTH, in his Official Capacity as Sheriff of Richmond County, Georgia and KADUM TOWNSEND,

Here is a link to an article that mentions the OC cases in this matter (if yall want to read up into each one further): Federal judge rules police cannot detain people for openly carrying guns - Washington DC gun rights | Examiner.com

I think some case needs to be sent to court in Texas once and for all so that the precedent is set and this crap stops happening.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Why? There is basicly no info on the specifics and the police almost never say anything directly about arrests so why would this be different? Not saying your wrong just we havent been given squat for info so we seem to be drawing conclusions real quick. I think the calls led to the stop but I don't see any info to know if the interaction there had any effect.

You're right, we don't have info. We need to ask the department for it. We (citizens) should put in a TxPIA/FOIA request for all ppw pertaining to the report/case to the department involved each time a story like this pops up. We do have the right and the ability to do that. We just have to submit it in writing. Perhaps if they get enough of these requests it will send the signal that citizens are noticing and it will be looked into each time. Hopefully it will prompt the department to think harder on the right and/or legal thing to do in these cases.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/open/requestors.shtml

Requesting Public Information in Texas

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not notifying the police you're going to do something that's not illegal before you do it is PC for arrest? Interesting.
    I have NO idea where you you draw the conclusion that my thinking has ANYTHING to do with anyone not notifying the police first, but allow me to correct you. That is not what I think.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't know why this is still such an unsettled issue in Texas. It has been settled in some states already. I particularly remember this case of the guy in Georgia being stopped in a grocery store parking lot. GEORGIACARRY.ORG, INC., and
    ZACHARY NELSON MEAD - VS - Plaintiffs, RONALD STRENGTH, in his Official Capacity as Sheriff of Richmond County, Georgia and KADUM TOWNSEND,

Here is a link to an article that mentions the OC cases in this matter (if yall want to read up into each one further): Federal judge rules police cannot detain people for openly carrying guns - Washington DC gun rights | Examiner.com

I think some case needs to be sent to court in Texas once and for all so that the precedent is set and this crap stops happening.

Or some Texas legislator or chief administrator sends in an opinion request to the AG asking for clarification on the intent around "calculated to alarm." It doesn't require a court case, but it always helps... and having an opinion for the defense to use (and lawmakers to update laws against/with) would help.

Top Bottom