• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'll repeat my mountain lion story here as reading the others makes me recall mine and I still feel the adrenaline everytime I think about it. I posted it 2 or 3 times over the years here.

Cut n paste from a few weeks back...

I've had one close experience with a mountain lion.

I was predator calling in the AZ desert in the curve of a wash. All i had was my old 12 gage so my call was pretty close. I had only done this a couple times and hadn't got anything close enough yet and was just learning.

My back was to the high banked side of the wash so I couldnt be seen from behind and only my head was higher than the other side so I could watch anything coming into the call from a slightly sloping up hill in a small drainage feature.

After about a half hour a mountain lion came up from behind me and jumped over my head landing in front of me in the wash. It didnt see me till I let out a holy shit jumped up and fired a 12 gage 00 buck round into the far side of the wash. It pissed all over me as it took off scared at the same time I nearly shit myself. That bastard thought it was being slick sneaking up on an easy meal.

Took a few years off my life...at least. I have never been so startled in my life and dont expect to be.

Still gets my knees shaking from the adrenaline dump
    Target Sports

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I had distant Uncle who was jumped by a bobcat while he was out deer hunting back in the late 40's. The story was that he was sitting on a log and heard something behind him. He moved abruptly, startling the bobcat. It pounced on him, boxed him around a bit and dissappeared into the woods. It was over before he knew what happened.
    Growing up, I was told that Uncle Ed stumbled back to deer camp bleeding and tattered. He always hunted in a tree stand after that.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I'll repeat my mountain lion story here as reading the others makes me recall mine and I still feel the adrenaline everytime I think about it. I posted it 2 or 3 times over the years here.

Cut n paste from a few weeks back...

I've had one close experience with a mountain lion.

I was predator calling in the AZ desert in the curve of a wash. All i had was my old 12 gage so my call was pretty close. I had only done this a couple times and hadn't got anything close enough yet and was just learning.

My back was to the high banked side of the wash so I couldnt be seen from behind and only my head was higher than the other side so I could watch anything coming into the call from a slightly sloping up hill in a small drainage feature.

After about a half hour a mountain lion came up from behind me and jumped over my head landing in front of me in the wash. It didnt see me till I let out a holy shit jumped up and fired a 12 gage 00 buck round into the far side of the wash. It pissed all over me as it took off scared at the same time I nearly shit myself. That bastard thought it was being slick sneaking up on an easy meal.

Took a few years off my life...at least. I have never been so startled in my life and dont expect to be.

Still gets my knees shaking from the adrenaline dump
    Whoa.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I had distant Uncle who was jumped by a bobcat while he was out deer hunting back in the late 40's. The story was that he was sitting on a log and heard something behind him. He moved abruptly, startling the bobcat. It pounced on him, boxed him around a bit and dissappeared into the woods. It was over before he knew what happened.
    Growing up, I was told that Uncle Ed stumbled back to deer camp bleeding and tattered. He always hunted in a tree stand after that.

skfullen,

FYI, Texas has any number of VERY LARGE Bobcats. - My best friend in Austin's neighbor has a FULL-BODY MOUNT in his den that is Collie-dog size. Don collected the cat on their ranch out in West TX. = I would GUESS that in life that that cat weighed well over 50#.
    (Big & downright 'purty' mount, too, though the taxidermist said that repairing the pelt "was a bit of a challenge" after Don shot him with a .300 WIN MAG.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    My buddies next door neighbor shot one and the 2 of them were grilling some lion meat. They marinated it in Italian salad dressing. Tasted like a grilled pork chop, good eats!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    only way I ever tried it was grilled, but I bet it would be good as "orange chicken"!!!

AZRefugee,

FYI, my HS classmate, SGT JERRY HOCKADAY (late of the USSF & KIA in RVN in JAN 1974), in 1966 helped BBQ & eat a TIGER, that "wandered into" the firebase's mine-field.
    (Jerry said, in a letter to his younger brother, that TIGER tastes like BBQ pork. - He also said in the letter that the A-Team members were trying to find someone to repair & tan the skin into a rug.)

yours, satx

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    But still probably too young for you.
    moped.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I'm not a fan of sport hunting, or killing any animal for the sake of killing, but mountain lions, cougars and such, are still a danger to livestock.

So having a season for them is not a bad idea, as long as if they are a threat to a rancher's livestock they can be killed without going through a bureaucracy and burdensome hoops to protect an investment in those livestock.
    Sport hunting is typically used as a culling technique, or should be. Good game managers don't allow just any animal to be shot... and it provides an excellent source of revenue to manage and protect habitat.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Sport hunting is typically used as a culling technique, or should be. Good game managers don't allow just any animal to be shot... and it provides an excellent source of revenue to manage and protect habitat.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Culling serves a legitimate conservation purpose for the animals.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    When I bought my place about 20 years ago it was all timber. We lived in a camper for almost two years while getting a house built. We saw the occasional lion track, but only about twice a year, and they only hung around for a week or so before moving on. There were lots of hogs on the place then, providing them plenty to eat. They would also drag off the dead ones that I shot and left in an area I called the bone yard. I kill about 75/yr so many of them get fed to the buzzards and varmints.

Anyway, one night I got up about 3:00 AM and went outside the camper to put some more wood on the smoker because I was smoking a brisket. We just had a little clearing at the time and the tree line came to within about 30 feet of the camper and the smoker. I didn't bother getting dressed or picking up a gun. I just had a very small flashlight to help me find the wood and open the firebox on the smoker. About the time I bent over to pick up a stick of wood, I heard the scream. Nobody had to tell me what it was, and every hair on my body stood straight on end! I dropped the wood, and ran back to the camper as fast as I could. The scream was so loud it woke my wife up with the door shut on the camper.

I never saw that cat, but I found it's tracks the next day in the daylight. It had stopped only about 25 yards from my smoker. Not long after that I installed a floodlight on a pole.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Some states give enough depredation permits to keep numbers at bey. Not to mention all those killed just because shooters feel the need. I some areas it’s obvious this is Not enough. Limited hunting is the only way to regulate. Problem is they have No real way of knowing the numbers.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom