That's a lot of water
    ARJ Defense ad

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    cygunner,

While the male pumas may well roam HUGE areas, the females are "home bodies" & will usually be born, give birth to & raise her kittens, live out her life & die W/I 5 miles of her birthplace, according to the Senior Wildlife Biologist of TWPWD, who spoke to our TMN class in June 2018.

He said that a female will leave her "home territory" only IF a manmade or natural disaster occurs AND/OR there is insufficient prey-animals for her to hunt.

yours, satx

Never before in my life have I heard that female lions don't roam. I also have an inherent distrust of TWPWD bilogists becasue they claim that black panthers don't exist. I have seen one. So I'm filing your report in my memory banks, but under the the heading of supposedly.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Never before in my life have I heard that female lions don't roam. I also have an inherent distrust of TWPWD bilogists becasue they claim that black panthers don't exist. I have seen one. So I'm filing your report in my memory banks, but under the the heading of supposedly.
    My source says 50 square miles for females and a 300 mile loop for males. Sounds more likely as it wouldn't take a hungry mama lion long to clean out/scare out 5 square miles but even so, out here in our little corner of the world 5 miles could put her in 3 different counties. Lone Star Law on Animal Planet is as close as I want to get to TPWD.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Haystack,

I've NEVER heard in 74 years that "dark phase " pumas don't exist. = Maybe "TECHNICALLY" not black BUT definitely VERY dark in color.
    (I KNOW that such creatures DO EXIST, as the CARACAS ZOO had one in 1991, when I was last there. - The Caracas Zoo also had a "NEARLY WHITE" puma with BRIGHT GREEN EYES. = STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL CAT.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My source says 50 square miles for females and a 300 mile loop for males. Sounds more likely as it wouldn't take a hungry mama lion long to clean out/scare out 5 square miles but even so, out here in our little corner of the world 5 miles could put her in 3 different counties. Lone Star Law on Animal Planet is as close as I want to get to TPWD.

cygunner,

How many SQUARE MILES are in a CIRCLE with a 5-mile radius??
    (Math isn't my "strong suit" by any means, BUT it's several.)

Pi (3.1416) times the radius (5x5= 25) squared is 78.54 square miles, if I did it correctly.

yours, satx

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    Oregon banned the use of dogs in hunting cougar and bear, a couple decades later guess what? Oregon now has a bear and cougar problem....

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Black Panthers/Jaguars have been seen on trail cameras migrating out of mexico into AZ. AZ GAME AND FISH trail cameras. I have no doubt the same things happen in texas and new mexico.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    cygunner,

How many SQUARE MILES are in a CIRCLE with a 5-mile radius??
    (Math isn't my "strong suit" by any means, BUT it's several.)

Pi (3.1416) times the radius (5x5= 25) squared is 78.54 square miles, if I did it correctly.

yours, satx
    Oregon banned the use of dogs in hunting cougar and bear, a couple decades later guess what? Oregon now has a bear and cougar problem....

medicmike,

YEP, OR has a REAL problem with Cats & Bears, as does CA.

I know of at least TWO adults ( a 27YO woman, who was out picking blackberries & a 19YO male, who was cane-pole fishing) in CA, who made written statements to a CA Game Warden that they were STALKED by a puma.

yours, satx

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    medicmike,

YEP, OR has a REAL problem with Cats & Bears, as does CA.

I know of at least TWO adults ( a 27YO woman, who was out picking blackberries & a 19YO male, who was cane-pole fishing) in CA, who made written statements to a CA Game Warden that they were STALKED by a puma.

yours, satx

Yep,

This "little" guy was a regular raider of the garbage can. Lived in a subdivision on 1/5 acre lot, small town on the Oregon coast. Bears were thick in that town with regular cougar sightings in town as well. They also showed little fear of man. At least when hound hunting was legal they tended to steer clear of humans.

Attachments

• 41317817_10214742423613004_2483481950338154496_n.jpg
      41317817_10214742423613004_2483481950338154496_n.jpg
      96.7 KB · Views: 80

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Mountain lion, cougar, puma. panther, catamount, ect. ect.

All the same cat!

The cougar holds the Guinness record for the animal with the greatest number of names, with over 40 in English alone

Looks like there are varying opinions on how far cougars will roam, but even at the conservative measure, it's still a huge area.

Social structure and home range
    Like almost all cats, the cougar is a mostly solitary animal. Only mothers and kittens live in groups, with adults meeting rarely. While generally loners, cougars will reciprocally share kills with one another and seem to organize themselves into small communities defined by the territories of dominant males. Cats within these areas socialize more frequently with each other than with outsiders.[112] Estimates of territory sizes for cougars vary greatly. Canadian Geographic reports large male territories of 150 to 1000 km2 (58 to 386 sq mi) with female ranges half that size.[105] Other research suggests a much smaller lower limit of 25 km2 (10 sq mi), but an even greater upper limit of 1300 km2 (500 sq mi) for males.[104] In the United States, very large ranges have been reported in Texas and the Black Hills of the northern Great Plains, in excess of 775 km2 (300 sq mi).[113] Male ranges may include or overlap with those of females but, at least where studied, not with those of other males, which reduces conflict between cougars. Ranges of females may overlap slightly with each other. Scrape marks, urine, and feces are used to mark territory and attract mates. Males may scrape together a small pile of leaves and grasses and then urinate on it as a way of marking territory.[114]

Home range sizes and overall cougar abundance depend on terrain, vegetation, and prey abundance.[104] One female adjacent to the San Andres Mountains was found with a large range of 215 km2 (83 sq mi), necessitated by poor prey abundance.[110] Research has shown cougar abundances from 0.5 animals to as many as 7 (in one study in South America) per 100 km2 (39 sq mi).[33]

Because males disperse farther than females and compete more directly for mates and territory, they are more likely to be involved in conflict. Where a juvenile fails to leave his maternal range, for example, he may be killed by his father.[113] When males encounter each other, they hiss, spit, and may engage in violent conflict if neither backs down.[106] Hunting or relocation of the cougar may increase aggressive encounters by disrupting territories and bringing young, transient animals into conflict with established individuals.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    The cougar holds the Guinness record for the animal with the greatest number of names, with over 40 in English alone

I do not believe that the Guiness records are correct on that one. The animal with the greatest number of names is obviously Homo sapiens; for instance, to name a few: Aaron, Adam, Alexa, Alexander, Alice, Arthur, Babtunde, Barbara, Barry, Bartholomew, Betty, Brendan, Carl, Caroline, Celeste, Celina, Christopher, Christina, David, Donald, Donatelo, Doris, Dorothy, Ebeneezar, Ellen, Eliphalet, Fanny, Francisco, Franklin, Frances, Francis, Gaylord, Geraldine, Glenn, Gomer, Grace, Harold, Helen, Horatio, Howard, Ian, Ignatz, Ivan, Ivanka (the overlooked connection of Trump to Russia was in his daughter's name), Jose, Joseph, Juan, Juanita, Julia, Juliet - and all the others in between and on and on and on....all the way to Zvi (boys) and Zyphire (girls).

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    As a teenager, I camped on the banks of my granddad's creek quite often. The house where my dad was raised was a few hundred yards away.
    Dad told of the big cats occasional sighting and the blood curdling screams they produced. Being an immortal teen, I listened and went on my way.
    One night, as the campfire died and I and my friend were dozing off, we heard it. Instantly wide eyed and standing, we bolted for the old farmhouse. Only one obstacle stood in our way. 5 strands of barbed wire.
    The overweight and slow lineman I called a close friend was standing on the porch of the vacant house hollering for me to hurry. I was the light and fast wide receiver. As I climbed over the fence and hauled ass to the old house, another scream from closer behind emitted from the darkness. Once inside the relative safety of a dwelling I asked , "how did you get over the fence so fast?" The fat guy answered, "I hurdled it".

Funny story aside. That cat was after us and that sound. Good Lord. That sound.
    We waited an hour or so. Went home and got a shotgun and spotlight.
    Retrieved our camping gear and went back home for the night.
    If you've ever heard a mountain lion scream, you know what I mean.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    As a teenager, I camped on the banks of my granddad's creek quite often. The house where my dad was raised was a few hundred yards away.
    Dad told of the big cats occasional sighting and the blood curdling screams they produced. Being an immortal teen, I listened and went on my way.
    One night, as the campfire died and I and my friend were dozing off, we heard it. Instantly wide eyed and standing, we bolted for the old farmhouse. Only one obstacle stood in our way. 5 strands of barbed wire.
    The overweight and slow lineman I called a close friend was standing on the porch of the vacant house hollering for me to hurry. I was the light and fast wide receiver. As I climbed over the fence and hauled ass to the old house, another scream from closer behind emitted from the darkness. Once inside the relative safety of a dwelling I asked , "how did you get over the fence so fast?" The fat guy answered, "I hurdled it".

Funny story aside. That cat was after us and that sound. Good Lord. That sound.
    We waited an hour or so. Went home and got a shotgun and spotlight.
    Retrieved our camping gear and went back home for the night.
    If you've ever heard a mountain lion scream, you know what I mean.

Vaquero,

I've heard the scream of the cat ONCE & ONLY on tape but it was enough to tell me that I did NOT want to hear it "close up & personal".

yours, satx

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Interesting to see this thread because a person I met today showed a video of a big cat that was killing some animals in west Texas that got caught by dogs and the person with the dogs simply knocked the cat (It was relatively big) out with a large log...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Chubbies need lovin' too, even the ugly ones. I'd second a motion for Moonpie to be the one to give that particular specimen some lovin tho, I don't mind some chub, but her chub's chub has chub and I have chronic hip pain :laughing:

Wanna know something even more *fun* - they "reintroduced" wolves to southern and eastern Oregon (along with part of Washington, Cali, and Idaho) - and surprise surprise there have been problems with wolves. Talk to the ranchers and home owners out there (conservative part of those states) - they won't send their children out to play or to do chores unarmed. Either an armed adult goes, or the kids take a gun with them. There was zero need to introduce another predator species - especially one that hadn't inhabited the region in 100+ years, but the greenies just *had* to *save* the wolves by introducing a breed that wasn't even found there to begin with. Progressives are all for progression except when they want regression. Progressives hate human life and industry and value animal life over human life.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    Chubbies need lovin' too, even the ugly ones. I'd second a motion for Moonpie to be the one to give that particular specimen some lovin tho, I don't mind some chub, but her chub's chub has chub and I have chronic hip pain :laughing:

Wanna know something even more *fun* - they "reintroduced" wolves to southern and eastern Oregon (along with part of Washington, Cali, and Idaho) - and surprise surprise there have been problems with wolves. Talk to the ranchers and home owners out there (conservative part of those states) - they won't send their children out to play or to do chores unarmed. Either an armed adult goes, or the kids take a gun with them. There was zero need to introduce another predator species - especially one that hadn't inhabited the region in 100+ years, but the greenies just *had* to *save* the wolves by introducing a breed that wasn't even found there to begin with. Progressives are all for progression except when they want regression. Progressives hate human life and industry and value animal life over human life.

Yes, wolves have become a real problem in the eastern part of the state and have now migrated west across the Cascades, at least in the south near Crater Lake. When they start taking kids in the urban areas I hope they rethink their gran plan of having them run wild.

Top Bottom