Man ND’s one into his face at gun range

BBL

Feb 8, 2021
TX
You'd think a sheriff would know it's a "9mm semi-automatic" (see video at 00:40).
The Sheriff said (paraphrased) "the video shows him shooting a 9mm automatic". Um, I could barely tell it was a gun from the grainy video. This Sheriff has super-human ability to identify a caliber from shells that are smaller than the camera resolution. LOL

Sooo, how long until some Red Flag laws mark this man for a no-knock-warrant raid and seizure of all his weapons? Ohio is turning bluer and bluer every year. Not long now.

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
I've had hot brass down my shirt more than once, finished my string of fire (it was yearly quals both times) holstered and THEN hot the brass out. Getting a tiny blister is better than what this joker did!

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
...growing up around firearms is often the worst place to get training because dad or Uncle Billy Jo'Bob often just pass along their bad habits.
I have nowhere near the experience as an instructor as many others on this forum. I have, however, reached the conclusion that the hardest part is always finding a way to get students to unlearn the stuff they know. I am convinced that if someone has been taken shooting just one time by a bad example, they will be imprinted with bad habits for life...unless they seriously dedicate themselves to improving through proper training.

Louis Awerbuck, arguably one of the dozen best defensive pistol instructors who ever lived, had it right when he said that the best class of new shooters would consist entirely of 14-year-old girls who have never handled a firearm before... simply because they would have no bad habits to break.

Personally, I find the hot brass dance topic to be a mandatory part of the curriculum for new students. I'm sure sorry this guy didn't get that lecture.

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
The Sheriff said (paraphrased) "the video shows him shooting a 9mm automatic". Um, I could barely tell it was a gun from the grainy video. This Sheriff has super-human ability to identify a caliber from shells that are smaller than the camera resolution. LOL

Sooo, how long until some Red Flag laws mark this man for a no-knock-warrant raid and seizure of all his weapons? Ohio is turning bluer and bluer every year. Not long now.
So while he misspoke about by calling it automatic, just as many diehard gun folks call a 1911 a 45 auto, do you really think he was stating the caliber size after only viewing the video? That was be somewhat preposterous - don't you think? LOL aside, I would guess, that someone had examined the gun and the shell casings before he made his statement and that the police knew it was a 9mm and knew so in fact. Of course that is just my guess.

baboon

TGT Addict
It is a sad testimony that we humans typically learn the most when we screw something up or hurt ourselves or someone else. The video might be a handy training aid, but a lot of folks only learn the hard way. I have done some mishap investigations when I was in the Air Force…a lot of people doing really stupid things…until it hurts them!
When I was a handgun instructor some years back I kicked a couple of individuals out of my classes because they were careless or refused to pay attention to safety instructions. Was accused of being intolerant and even prejudice. My feeling is that guns and stupidity do not mix well.
I suspect the fellow in the video never had anyone train him…now he is self-trained.
One grandfather is to say there are 2 ways of learning things, the easy way and the hard way! He also said we tend to learn a lot the hard way.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Forum statistics

Threads