• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    You'd think a sheriff would know it's a "9mm semi-automatic" (see video at 00:40).
    The Sheriff said (paraphrased) "the video shows him shooting a 9mm automatic". Um, I could barely tell it was a gun from the grainy video. This Sheriff has super-human ability to identify a caliber from shells that are smaller than the camera resolution. LOL

Sooo, how long until some Red Flag laws mark this man for a no-knock-warrant raid and seizure of all his weapons? Ohio is turning bluer and bluer every year. Not long now.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I've had hot brass down my shirt more than once, finished my string of fire (it was yearly quals both times) holstered and THEN hot the brass out. Getting a tiny blister is better than what this joker did!

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...growing up around firearms is often the worst place to get training because dad or Uncle Billy Jo'Bob often just pass along their bad habits.
    I have nowhere near the experience as an instructor as many others on this forum. I have, however, reached the conclusion that the hardest part is always finding a way to get students to unlearn the stuff they know. I am convinced that if someone has been taken shooting just one time by a bad example, they will be imprinted with bad habits for life...unless they seriously dedicate themselves to improving through proper training.

Louis Awerbuck, arguably one of the dozen best defensive pistol instructors who ever lived, had it right when he said that the best class of new shooters would consist entirely of 14-year-old girls who have never handled a firearm before... simply because they would have no bad habits to break.

Personally, I find the hot brass dance topic to be a mandatory part of the curriculum for new students. I'm sure sorry this guy didn't get that lecture.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    The Sheriff said (paraphrased) "the video shows him shooting a 9mm automatic". Um, I could barely tell it was a gun from the grainy video. This Sheriff has super-human ability to identify a caliber from shells that are smaller than the camera resolution. LOL

Sooo, how long until some Red Flag laws mark this man for a no-knock-warrant raid and seizure of all his weapons? Ohio is turning bluer and bluer every year. Not long now.
    So while he misspoke about by calling it automatic, just as many diehard gun folks call a 1911 a 45 auto, do you really think he was stating the caliber size after only viewing the video? That was be somewhat preposterous - don't you think? LOL aside, I would guess, that someone had examined the gun and the shell casings before he made his statement and that the police knew it was a 9mm and knew so in fact. Of course that is just my guess.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It is a sad testimony that we humans typically learn the most when we screw something up or hurt ourselves or someone else. The video might be a handy training aid, but a lot of folks only learn the hard way. I have done some mishap investigations when I was in the Air Force…a lot of people doing really stupid things…until it hurts them!
    When I was a handgun instructor some years back I kicked a couple of individuals out of my classes because they were careless or refused to pay attention to safety instructions. Was accused of being intolerant and even prejudice. My feeling is that guns and stupidity do not mix well.
    I suspect the fellow in the video never had anyone train him…now he is self-trained.
    One grandfather is to say there are 2 ways of learning things, the easy way and the hard way! He also said we tend to learn a lot the hard way.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Maybe I'm a bit leather skinned, and yeah brass is hot. But not flail around and shoot yourself hot. I'm thinking some people didn't come home bloody from stupid kid antics enough to learn how to deal with a little discomfort.
    Hot brass in between a helmet chin strap and a cheek comes to mind!

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    So while he misspoke about by calling it automatic, just as many diehard gun folks call a 1911 a 45 auto, do you really think he was stating the caliber size after only viewing the video? That was be somewhat preposterous - don't you think? LOL aside, I would guess, that someone had examined the gun and the shell casings before he made his statement and that the police knew it was a 9mm and knew so in fact. Of course that is just my guess.
    I was more after the wording:
    “The video shows that he is shooting a 9mm automatic ..."
    The video does not show that. You gathered that from evidence collected on-site or from victim and witness statements. But the video does not show that. As a Sheriff, I would expect him to be able to articulate basic facts correctly.
    Feel free to call me pedantic or literal (or BOTH), I deserve that. :)

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Exactly! And we tend to remember better those things learned the hard way…
    Bwhaaaaaaa thats how I learned all my lessons... I've blown myself up several times a nd that almost killed my wife. Caught a dui that I rolled over a car 7 times. Got arrested on ft hood for carrying a canceled weapon. I have others too many to mention..
    Some of them I'm lucky to be alive. But my favorite is when I was about 13-14 at my grandparents house I stuck a hairpin between the socket and the prongs of the plug knocked out a transformer and shocked the shit outta myself

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I was more after the wording:
    “The video shows that he is shooting a 9mm automatic ..."
    The video does not show that. You gathered that from evidence collected on-site or from victim and witness statements. But the video does not show that. As a Sheriff, I would expect him to be able to articulate basic facts correctly.
    Feel free to call me pedantic or literal (or BOTH), I deserve that. :)
    Gotta ya.

Some cops are not very articulate at all, even some heads of departments. Sheriffs are elected, I think for the most part if not all, and as is proven by AOC in Congress - any dipshit can get elected. It is a pity that better educated - school or life's works learning or both - folks are not in office. You are quite practical in your expectations as far as I can see, too bad most voters are not.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The bad part about learning the hard way with guns is that someone often is wounded or killed who should not have been either.
    Loss of life from freak accident, or stupidity, is regrettable regardless of the cause. Firearm ND is overall just one way and a very small percentage of preventable deaths each year. There are other things that accidentally kill more people per year than guns.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: BBL
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom