Man sentenced to 2 years for building cannon.

Maverick44

Certified All-American Gun Nut
I cannot find any specifics on the cannon this guy built (the cannon in the article is just a stock photo). A traditional muzzleloading black powder cannon does not fall under the NFA, and thus cannot be a destructive device. Did he build a breechloader?

Was he shooting explosive shells out of it or something? The articles make it sound like the cannon itself was the issue.

Regardless, him going to prison over this is a gross miscarriage of justice. He harmed no one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gll

Well-Known
Jan 22, 2016
It's still not clear to me, but apparently Kent Kimberly's cannon used some kind of cartridge for firing...

Regardless, this was a travesty, not justice. I assume, with time already served, he will be released in January 2022, but nowhere have I found any details of this case.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
May 9, 2013
The Big Country
Interesting. From the article:
"Investigators also said Kimberling told them “numerous times that he believed the police and police chief were out to get him and that the Town of Garfield is corrupt."
Since he's saying that from jail, part of it seems to be accurate.
You can't really call a guy crazy if the shit he says seems to be true.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
I've done no research, but, is a tax stamp required for a canon of the size he built?

If no, he's been railroaded, if yes, he's a dumb ass.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
He may be okay under federal law, but some states have their own laws concerning cannons. Wouldn't doubt that Washington does.
Google reveals zero results on the topic. Cannon "shells", like grenades, are considered destructive devices under the NFA, I believe.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

7.62x39 addict.
Apr 13, 2018
Texas
He may be okay under federal law, but some states have their own laws concerning cannons. Wouldn't doubt that Washington does.
Google reveals zero results on the topic. Cannon "shells", like grenades, are considered destructive devices under the NFA, I believe.
Who knows what’s law in Washington state. That place is a goofy liberal kingdom.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics